PDA

View Full Version : I might be getting paranoid but, Fake or Real

Paul-H
June 13th, 2013, 01:35 AM
Hi Guys

How about this one Fake or Real

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271218573677

To me the Nib looks etched not pressed and for a limited edition version would it have been in a plain box, other example of this edition I have seen have been in quit fancy boxes.

Am I being Paranoid or is it a fake

Thanks

Paul

fountainpenkid
June 13th, 2013, 04:50 AM
I think it is real. All the little details see to be there, including the pix...though maybe all these little details are slightly off. And the packaging looks weird.

Paul-H
June 13th, 2013, 05:38 AM
That nib looks etched to me not pressed, you can see texture in the bottom of the etch in the close-up.

As for the Pix inside the clip, I have a fake with that so that's no longer a good indicator as it used to be.

Still putting my money on it being a fake.

Paul

mmahany
June 13th, 2013, 12:29 PM
There is absolutely nothign to suggest that the pen is fake (from the pictures).

Paul-H
June 13th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Except for the nib that looks etched and thus rings all the alarm bells.

Why does the nib look etched if its a genuine pressed nib.

Paul

mmahany
June 13th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Then don't buy it then? I have 20/20 vision and I can't tell from those pictures (I also have dual 22" monitors too btw).

It's not a limited edition. Limited editions are "limited" to a certain number of pens. "145" and "Chopin" are synonymous terms when it comes to these pens.

In fact, the pen isn't even a Special Edition. It's currently sold on Montblanc's website as a classique fountain pen. http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/shop/writing-instruments/meisterstck/black-resin-gold/classique-fountain-pen-106514.aspx

I don't know what you want me to tell you. I am not confirming the authenticity, but everything about that pen looks authentic from the pictures including the nib.

It's a very small thin piece of gold. There's going to be a bit of variation between nibs. I have roughly 12-15 Montblanc fountain pens (all confirmed to be authentic) and their nibs all vary ever so slightly.

If you're this paranoid about it, you probably shouldn't be shopping on ebay.

EDIT- You keep mentioning the word "etching" but look at places like in the top of the number "4" in "4810." It has a softer edge which is accurdate for a pressed nib. I'm also assuming you meant "engraved" rather than "etched" correct? Etching is a chemical process

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, but you're asking for help and it sounds like you have already convinced yourself that the pen is fake. I'm not saying there isn't a possibility it is a replica, but I certainly can't tell. I've owned around 75 Montblanc fountain pens and I've also seen probably 5-6 very good fakes in person (another 20 or so very crappy ones)

EDIT2- Take a look at the serial number. Do you notice how there are little dots at all the angles/curves of the numbers. That's what an etching/engraving looks like

tandaina
June 13th, 2013, 03:49 PM
If you are really worried about fakes stop looking at modern Montblancs and STOP looking at converter models especially.

The antiques piston fillers are too complicated to fake and not worth the effort. They're better pens (IMHO, owning modern and antique MBs) and the prices are far more reasonable and I say again: NO FAKES. Never, ever seen a 50s Mb fake attempt. Knox offs yes, fakes, no.

Don't bid on this pen, you obviously don't trust it and likely never will.

jar
June 13th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Except for the nib that looks etched and thus rings all the alarm bells.

Why does the nib look etched if its a genuine pressed nib.

Paul

Paul, you came here and asked a question.

You have received an answer not just from one person or one forum but rather many people on a couple forums; some of whom likely own more Montblanc pens then you own pens.

If you don't like the answers then that's fine. To keep asking the same questions though and expect different answers is madness.

If you think the pen is fake then don't buy it.

It really is that simple.

orfew
June 13th, 2013, 05:22 PM
I do not see anything that says fake to me. It looks like a real 145. The packaging looks like airline packaging when you buy a Montblanc duty free on the plane.

Paul-H
June 13th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the replays and sorry if I went on about it for too long. Some was just not right about that nib to me.

In the end I made the decision to pass, I hope the buyer got a good real pen for he money.

Again sorry to go on about it

Lesson learned, I won't do it again, promise.

Paul

I like mango pudding
June 14th, 2013, 12:22 AM
that ebay seller is well known and is legit. The Chopin, and the 144 are the most copied MB's out there, unfortunately.

I'd trust the seller. I bought my 146 from him.

mmahany
June 14th, 2013, 12:54 AM
I do not see anything that says fake to me. It looks like a real 145. The packaging looks like airline packaging when you buy a Montblanc duty free on the plane.
Exactly, if you look up the Starwalker A380 Airbus pen, it utilizes the same packaging. That pen was also only available through airports/airlines (at least to my knowledge).

Thanks for the replays and sorry if I went on about it for too long. Some was just not right about that nib to me.

In the end I made the decision to pass, I hope the buyer got a good real pen for he money.

Again sorry to go on about it

Lesson learned, I won't do it again, promise.

Paul
No harm no foul. If something doesn't feel right, then it's always best to pass. You did the right thing there. I think we only got frustrated when we offered our advice and it sounded like you already had your mind made up.

that ebay seller is well known and is legit. The Chopin, and the 144 are the most copied MB's out there, unfortunately.

I'd trust the seller. I bought my 146 from him.

I didn't even both to look at the seller's feedback, but that would further confirm its authenticity.

I'll put it simply: I'd be willing to bet $100 that it's real. Hopefully, that offers some transparency of how sure I am about it.

Jon Szanto
June 14th, 2013, 01:05 AM
By the way, Paul, it's skepticism, not paranoia. It's only a pen.

mmahany
June 14th, 2013, 08:13 AM
By the way, Paul, it's skepticism, not paranoia. It's only a pen.

Paranoia- baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others.

Excessive suspicion is acurate in this case :p

fountainpenkid
June 14th, 2013, 01:22 PM
If you are really worried about fakes stop looking at modern Montblancs and STOP looking at converter models especially.

The antiques piston fillers are too complicated to fake and not worth the effort. They're better pens (IMHO, owning modern and antique MBs) and the prices are far more reasonable and I say again: NO FAKES. Never, ever seen a 50s Mb fake attempt. Knox offs yes, fakes, no.

Don't bid on this pen, you obviously don't trust it and likely never will.
YES!!!! Look for a vintage 142 or 144 and you'll be a lot happier. I held and tried a 144 at the LI pen show earlier this year...and it is SOOOOO nice. The piston adds this really nice weight to it, and the nibs are beautiful.

Paul-H
June 15th, 2013, 12:16 AM
and I say again: NO FAKES. Never, ever seen a 50s Mb fake attempt. Knox offs yes, fakes, no.

And for the uninitiated what's the difference between the terms Fake and Knock off.

Paul

mmahany
June 15th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Personally I define them as:

Knock-off- not meant to be an exact copy of the pen. Just based around it. For instance Hero 616 Fountain pens are Parker 21/51 knock-offs.

Fake- Better known as a "replica" it is meant to be an exact copy of the pen in every way: brand, emblem, and all markings. A chinese Montblanc would be a fake/replica.

I like mango pudding
June 15th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Do not get tempted by the fake sh it that those Chinese dealers have. Get the real thing.

john
June 17th, 2013, 11:46 AM
If you hesitate the pen is real or fake, just go for the Mont Blanc piston filler. I don't think this 145 is fake, at least you can find the serial no. on the clip band.

mmahany
June 17th, 2013, 12:30 PM
If you hesitate the pen is real or fake, just go for the Mont Blanc piston filler. I don't think this 145 is fake, at least you can find the serial no. on the clip band.

Unfortunately, that means very little these days. At least with a serial number, you can take the authentication process a step further by googling the number. If it comes back with any weird results you know it's a fake. However, even still it isn't a way to authenticate the pen.

I've seen fakes with a serial number, "pix" under the clip, a screw in style converter, I've seen some with the sterling silver hallmark and very authentic looking cap rings.

With all that said, you are correct, there are only a few replica piston fillers and they're so bad even a new collector could tell the difference.

The best cartrige/converter replicas usually fail on the very minute details. Usually it's something like the crosshatching in the words "montblanc" around the cap ring, a cheap feed, or a slight variation in the pattern of the pen itself.