PDA

View Full Version : Danitrio Genkai Komori Bats by Hironobu Fountain Pen

dannzeman
June 13th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Danitrio Genkai Komori Bats is a work by the artist Hironobu Okazaki. Hironobu Okazaki is part of a new generation of young Maki-e artists utilizing and combining diverse techniques to achieve the visual design of this pen.

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Danitrio/danitrio-genkai-komori-bats-by-hironobu-capped-4.jpg
Image from Nibs.com

This is a very limited edition run - only 18 individually numbered pieces will be produced to be available worldwide. With the amount of work involved in the layers of urushi lacquer, and using traditional tame-nuri techniques as well as gold lacquer over-painting, this is no small feat. The Danitrio Genkai in Komori Bats by Hironobu uses the Danitrio #8 nib and is available in fine, medium, broad, and stub. The nib is fed by a top quality hard rubber feed.

My favorite part of this pen is the use of raden to illuminate the eyes of the bat on the cap of the pen. That is just a brilliant touch.

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Danitrio/danitrio-genkai-komori-bats-by-hironobu-capped-5.jpg
Image from Nibs.com

The MSRP of this pen is $9,600USD. You can find it for $7,680USD. Doesn't that make you feel better? For more information, see Danitrio (http://www.danitrio.com/genkai/genkai.htm).

Bill Eagleburger
June 13th, 2013, 07:10 AM
This is a gorgeous pen. I greatly respect and appreciate the long hours, skill, and talent that goes into making any maki-e pen, but for Pete\'s sake for $7,680 you\'d think they would have included a clip. Sorry, just not a fan of the clipless genre.

UK Mike
June 13th, 2013, 08:02 AM
It is such a relief that the price is astronomically high as it would be the only thing to deter me from buying one.

Definitely something to be admired from afar - but how does it WRITE?

ethernautrix
June 13th, 2013, 09:20 AM
I have a Danitrio Komori, the smaller version; bought it from winedoc - Kevin Cheng - four or five years ago for much less. He brought it to Pen Posse with many other Danitrios, and I brought cash with the hope that I would not like the pen, wanting not to spend so much money on one pen.

The flashing raden eye made me want the pen even more. My last hope was that it would be a lousy writer.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

So, anyway, yeah... I love my Danitrio Komori, and I bring it into rotation a few times a year.

skyppere
June 13th, 2013, 11:38 AM
To each his own. I have about 5 clipless pens and love them. They have their place. I don\'t pop one in my pocket when I\'m going out but I love the clean lines of the pen with no clip. As for the price... I still remember telling a friend \"oh you can get a nice cheap fountain pen for about $30 and she looked at me, wide eyed and said \"You think thirty dollars for a pen is CHEAP?\" so it\'s all perspective.
skyppere

skyppere
June 13th, 2013, 11:40 AM
And thinking more about this I realize that I sat next to Hironobu at a dinner in Japan.His father is a great artist for Dani Trio and at the time he was just starting... we had a PRETTY good conversation... a few starts and stops due to the language barrier but I do remember his saying boxing was his favorite sport. ANYWAY I\'m really glad he\'s doing so well!
skyppere

Frank van Krieken
June 13th, 2013, 12:22 PM
When I saw the pictures I instantly fell in love with this pen.

dduran
June 18th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Maybe they priced the pen with Bruce Wayne in mind.. :P

earthdawn
June 18th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Beautiful pen ... way out of my range.

But I sure would not mind adding that one into the collection.

The workmanship is amazing

fountainpenkid
June 21st, 2013, 08:35 AM
I love the shape and the nib of those pens, but the bat doesn't do it for me.

KrazyIvan
June 21st, 2013, 08:38 AM
WAY out of my league but a looker.

Tony Rex
June 22nd, 2013, 12:13 AM
I like bats. They are really nice when properly cooked. The wing bits could be a bit chewy, but are generally the best part. It's a traditional dish of my mum's side if the family. So, for that reason I'd go hungry every time I use this pen, so no.... And at that price I'd go hungry. Period.