PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy sacs?

top pen
December 14th, 2019, 05:21 PM
I have been mainly buying them from pendragon on Ebay. His prices are fair for smaller quantities but he doesn't offer much incentive for buying in larger quantities. I'm thinking of maybe buying 100 in the sizes I use most often but I would hope get the price down significantly from the £2 he chargers per sac.

From what I can glean there maybe one or two manufactures but the references seem a sketchy. I don't mind buying from overseas but my main goal is to get the price down a bit.

Empty_of_Clouds
December 14th, 2019, 06:10 PM
Saw the thread title and was about to suggest Pendragon myself! Have bought from him for the very few times that I had a go at restoring a pen filling system. As your location is listed as the UK, and Pendragons are country-local, perhaps giving them a call may open up the opportunity for quantity sales. Just a suggestion, may not be a good one.

azkid
December 14th, 2019, 10:25 PM
I've bought from....

1. Pendragon

2. Indy-pen-dance

3. The Pen Sac Company

For bulk buy, and #3 is the way to go.

I'm pretty sure 2 gets theirs from 3, who I guess got a lot of original equipment and then also had help from a person retired from making pen sacs or something. It's on their website somewhere.

Jon Szanto
December 14th, 2019, 11:27 PM
3. The Pen Sac Company

I'm not certain they are still in business. Their website, minimal as it was, is no longer active. They are local to me so I'll try calling on Monday.

David Nishimura (vintagepens.net, I believe) sells sacs, as does Dale Beebe @ pentooling.com. All of these are US suppliers and I believe the OP was looking for UK sources?

Pterodactylus
December 15th, 2019, 12:43 AM
Yeah, possible sites selection possibilities in Europe are not wide (at least my knowledge).
I bought stuff from Pendragons in the UK because I’m not aware of a continental option (preferably in Austria or Germany).

But as Johnson won the elections and the Brexit most likely will happen I doubt that I will order much stuff in the UK in the future anymore because I do not want to bother with customs and importation VAT (e.g. I liked to buy stuff from “The Writing Desk”).
I’m pretty sure that the business of the UK companies will be hit quite hard by this stupid action.
But this is another topic.

So I might want to extend the question to, do anybody know a source in continental Europe (instead of the UK and US)?

Chrissy
December 15th, 2019, 05:36 AM
I have been mainly buying them from pendragon on Ebay. His prices are fair for smaller quantities but he doesn't offer much incentive for buying in larger quantities. I'm thinking of maybe buying 100 in the sizes I use most often but I would hope get the price down significantly from the £2 he chargers per sac.

From what I can glean there maybe one or two manufactures but the references seem a sketchy. I don't mind buying from overseas but my main goal is to get the price down a bit.
If you want to buy pen sacs within the UK then, as far as I'm aware, you have two choices.
The Pendragons web-site (http://www.vintagepensacsandparts.com) or "chiiipea" is their ebay ID. If you buy on ebay then they are very slightly cheaper as they dispatch with 2nd class mail. If you buy directly from their web-site then you pay a little more but they are sent by 1st class mail.

Although I don't buy in bulk, you won't get any as cheap as this sent by any US company that sells pen sacs. You will pay more in shipping than the total ebay amount you would pay. I've done the calculations for everywhere I know that sells them. The Pendragons will quote you a price for 100 or more.

(P.S. Have I got this wrong? I now see this is in the Classifieds For Sale forum. Are you also selling sacs? Or do you want to buy some?)

Chrissy
December 15th, 2019, 05:55 AM
Yeah, possible sites selection possibilities in Europe are not wide (at least my knowledge).
I bought stuff from Pendragons in the UK because I’m not aware of a continental option (preferably in Austria or Germany).

But as Johnson won the elections and the Brexit most likely will happen I doubt that I will order much stuff in the UK in the future anymore because I do not want to bother with customs and importation VAT (e.g. I liked to buy stuff from “The Writing Desk”).
I’m pretty sure that the business of the UK companies will be hit quite hard by this stupid action.

So I might want to extend the question to, do anybody know a source in continental Europe (instead of the UK and US)?
No worries at the moment, until at least the end of 2020. Even then, no-one knows whether that will be extended, or what will be included in the way we trade with the EU.

carlos.q
December 15th, 2019, 06:28 AM
Has anyone bought sacs from this UK vendor?
https://www.pensacsandparts.com/

top pen
December 15th, 2019, 06:30 AM

If you want to buy pen sacs within the UK then, as far as I'm aware, you have two choices.
The Pendragons web-site (http://www.vintagepensacsandparts.com) or "chiiipea" is their ebay ID. If you buy on ebay then they are very slightly cheaper as they dispatch with 2nd class mail. If you buy directly from their web-site then you pay a little more but they are sent by 1st class mail.

Although I don't buy in bulk, you won't get any as cheap as this sent by any US company that sells pen sacs. You will pay more in shipping than the total ebay amount you would pay. I've done the calculations for everywhere I know that sells them. The Pendragons will quote you a price for 100 or more.

(P.S. Have I got this wrong? I now see this is in the Classifieds For Sale forum. Are you also selling sacs? Or do you want to buy some?)

I chose the wrong sub forum

Deb
December 15th, 2019, 08:24 AM

I haven't but looking at the site their price for sacs is very high.

Pterodactylus
December 15th, 2019, 08:47 AM

No worries at the moment, until at least the end of 2020. Even then, no-one knows whether that will be extended, or what will be included in the way we trade with the EU.

We will see, imho Britain should not expect to be part of the EU free trade zone anymore (and to be honest I would not understand concessions towards Britain as you canˋt just cherry-pick what you like).
On the other side I don’t think that also the US will welcome Britain open-hearted, the only thing the US really is interested is the advantage of itself (remember: „America First“).

What might will happen is that the Scottish and North Ireland demand independence when recession will hit Britain like a sledgehammer and afterwards the remaining rest England sink economical to insignificance.

Latest at this point some people will rethink what they triggered.

We will see how it will turn out, personally I think the Brits made a catastrophic error (despite I also see all the problems the EU has).

top pen
December 15th, 2019, 09:35 AM

Pretty sure it's the same person as pendragon and chilipea on ebay.

Deb
December 15th, 2019, 09:43 AM

We will see, imho Britain should not expect to be part of the EU free trade zone anymore (and to be honest I would not understand concessions towards Britain as you canˋt just cherry-pick what you like).
On the other side I don’t think that also the US will welcome Britain open-hearted, the only thing the US really is interested is the advantage of itself (remember: „America First“).

What might will happen is that the Scottish and North Ireland demand independence when recession will hit Britain like a sledgehammer and afterwards the remaining rest England sink economical to insignificance.

We will see how it will turn out, personally I think the Brits made a catastrophic error (despite I also see all the problems the EU has).

Could we be spared the amateur hour political commentary, please?

Chrissy
December 15th, 2019, 09:59 AM

Could we be spared the amateur hour political commentary, please?

Thank you and quite right Deb. I knew I shouldn't have tried to make any comment at all about the post because it was bound to get that type of reaction. :(

Deb
December 15th, 2019, 10:15 AM
Not your fault, Chrissy. I can understand that people get annoyed about these matters but there is a sub-forum for politics and religion should one feel compelled to comment.
Let's get back to the pen sacs.

azkid
December 15th, 2019, 10:29 AM

Pretty sure it's the same person as pendragon and chilipea on ebay.Absolutely correct.

FredRydr
December 15th, 2019, 06:28 PM
3. The Pen Sac Company

I'm not certain they are still in business. Their website, minimal as it was, is no longer active. They are local to me so I'll try calling on Monday....
I just heard from Peter of the Pen Sac Co., and he is in business. He's just working on his website. What follows is a jpg of his order form, so anyone here can order sacs now by fax, phone or email. The newer email is peteramis@pensacs.com. I wonder if prices will increase with the website update? Nah!

top pen
December 16th, 2019, 01:38 AM
3. The Pen Sac Company

I'm not certain they are still in business. Their website, minimal as it was, is no longer active. They are local to me so I'll try calling on Monday....
I just heard from Peter of the Pen Sac Co., and he is in business. He's just working on his website. What follows is a jpg of his order form, so anyone here can order sacs now by fax, phone or email. The newer email is peteramis@pensacs.com. I wonder if prices will increase with the website update? Nah!

Thanks

Deb
December 16th, 2019, 02:50 AM
I'm relieved to hear that the Pen Sac Company is still in businesss. That's where I have ordered sacs for many years.

azkid
December 16th, 2019, 07:44 AM
It looks like maybe they are redoing their website. Also relieved as I am almost out of a couple of common sizes.

Fermata
December 16th, 2019, 08:05 AM
Mark Catley also sells pens sacs and bits and pieces

https://www.vintagefountainpens.co.uk/ourshop/cat_1383262-Parts-and-Accessories.html

calamus
December 19th, 2019, 12:27 PM
Anderson Pens carries sacs, shellac, talc, j bars, pressure plates, etc., but the Pen Sac Company seems to have better prices.

penwash
December 19th, 2019, 02:52 PM
Anderson Pens carries sacs, shellac, talc, j bars, pressure plates, etc., but the Pen Sac Company seems to have better prices.

Make sense, since pensacs.com made the sacs themselves.

penwash
December 19th, 2019, 04:37 PM

Make sense, since pensacs.com made the sacs themselves.

Please read the thread carefully, folks: all indications are that they aren't in business. They used to have a site up and ordering instructions but there is nothing there now. I've been too busy to chase this down but I'll put out some feelers.

The website says Under Construction. I've sent a ping email to Peter Amis and hopefully he'd be quick to clarify this.

I ordered from them (not recently though) and the Dallas Pen Club have been getting the supplies from them, and no one there said anything about them not selling sacs anymore, so we'll see.

calamus
December 19th, 2019, 04:45 PM
FredRydr in post #17 on page one says he heard from Peter, the owner of the Pen Sac Co., who said he's still in business, just revising his website at the moment.

Jon Szanto
December 19th, 2019, 04:59 PM
Sorry, folks, I'm an idiot today. Glad to know it's still going to be in operation. One of the really odd things is that even though they are located about a 30 minute drive from where I live, they won't let me drive up and pick up an order of sacs. I still have to send and receive by USPS.

Again, sorry for the misdirect and all that, I've deleted the offending post.

penwash
December 19th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Yes, it's confirmed, Peter just replied to my inquiry email and stated that he'll be starting his 34th year of making ink sacs in just a few weeks.

That's a great new for us FP nuts :)

All good!