PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a 61

Paul-H
June 14th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Hi Guys

I have just taken delivery of a nice 61 and as usual it needed a good clean before it would work properly

Had a good think about a good way to clean out the sealed ink sell and came up with the idea of attaching the pen to a vacuum pump. I used the one I have for bleeding the brakes on my car, and it worked a treat.

I just put the nib end of the section into the end of the plastic hose and stuck the end of the ink cell in a cup of distilled water and then applied a low vacuum with the pump and water was drawn through the pen and into the collection bottle by the pump. I did this for 3 cups of water and the water ran clear.

It now works a treat.

Its a bit excessive for a one off job but if you have a few to do it might be worth looking into getting your own, you like me you might already have one in the garage. I got mine of eBay the brand is Mityvac

Paul

This is the pump I have

And these are the bits that came with it, the pump shown in this kit is a cheaper plastic version of the metal pump I have, but it would work just as well.

6of1
June 14th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Good deal! I would have never thought of that, but have now added the note to my arsenal of knowledge should I ever acquire another 61, which is likely because they're cheap as chips for such a great pen. I'd actually like to have one of the convertor ones in burgundy to round out my collection. Have you posted up some pictures of this new pen yet? :confused: Eagerly awaiting them. The 61 is every bit as nice a pen as the 51, but just isn't as popular. Good, I say.

Paul-H
June 15th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Here a couple of pics of the 61

I probably paid a bit too much for it, but it was one of the few I could find with the golden arrow still in place, although it had fallen out by the time it got to me but it was still in the cap so I was able to stick it back in ok.

Paul

john
June 20th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Wow, that's too much for the 61. A simple bulb syringe can do the job very well.

6of1
June 20th, 2013, 05:00 PM
That's a nice-looking specimen, Paul! Got it fueled and writing yet?

Frank
June 20th, 2013, 07:40 PM
It is a nice pen! The capillary unit is also in great shape!
(Good to see a complete membrane!) ;)

Frank

6of1
June 20th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Yeah, usually with all the teflon flaking off and worse!

Paul-H
June 22nd, 2013, 09:47 AM
Yep I know it was a bit ott but I had all the bits and didn't have a bulb, so in my case it was the cheapest option.

The pen filled with ink without any issues and is a very smooth writer.

Well pleased with this addition to my expanding Parker collection.

Paul