PDA

View Full Version : "Edbert, 10, Excels at Cursive. Should Other Students Follow His Lead?"

FredRydr
December 17th, 2019, 04:52 AM
Another cursive in the schools article: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/17/nyregion/cursive-writing-nj.html

“After they got rid of handwriting, now they’re all rediscovering it...People mistakenly assumed because we had computers, we didn’t need handwriting. We need both.”

azkid
December 17th, 2019, 09:06 AM
Maybe if we hadn't been saddled with those accursed ballpoints, more people would have found handwriting enjoyable and had been less willing to give it up.

Creating a grocery list or a quick refrigerator note or whatnot is much easier to do with paper and pen/pencil than hauling out a phone or laptop, launching an app, and typing.

I feel like a lot of times people fall into the hammer nail problem with tech. They have a shiny gadget and have to figure out how to use it for everything, because Technology!

Or is that just because I grew up at the beginning of the PC revolution?

Keep in mind I am an IT professional and one of my hobbies is building robots and have dreamed of making my own astromech droid for 30 years now...

Anyway...

Interesting excerpt from the article:

Putting a pencil or pen to paper helps form an impression in a child’s brain and is beneficial for early literacy, regardless of whether the letters are printed or written in script, Professor Berninger said. But her studies have shown a connection between the linked letters in cursive writing and improved spelling proficiency.

“We think those connecting strokes help children link the letters into word units, which helps their spelling,” she said. Handwriting, she said, also allows children to write fluidly and quickly, which can lead to longer stories and essays.

Sailor Kenshin
December 17th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Well, duhhhh......

calamus
December 17th, 2019, 03:18 PM
Why the development of cursive represents such a significant step forward for the human race:

https://cdn.thenewstack.io/media/2017/05/afbe09d7-cave-man-chiseling.jpg

Chuck Naill
December 17th, 2019, 04:50 PM
Two of my 8 year old grand daughters asked for pens like I have. I got the Pelikan Twists. They write in cursive as taught by their school.

VertOlive
December 17th, 2019, 05:27 PM
Good for Edbert. While waiting for institutional schools to come to their senses, there are innumerable resources for teaching cursive at home at the kitchen table. We used Kickstarter’s Cursive Logic and picked it up over the summer before third grade.

Cayce04
December 18th, 2019, 12:40 PM
I was in an antique mall ( of all places) and the highschooler checking me out made it very clear his displeasure that the tags on the items bought were in cursive!