PDA

View Full Version : Wetting the feed

Empty_of_Clouds
December 24th, 2019, 12:52 AM
Something that has occurred to me today. Normally when filling a pen the nib is immersed in the ink, so the feed (presumably) becomes saturated - or primed, as some people may put it. With the Sheaffer snorkel models the pen is designed in such a manner that this 'priming' does not occur. Why, then, does my snorkel write immediately upon filling, whereas, and for example only, if I fill a converter independently and fit it to a pen I have to wait for a while for the ink to get to the feed and nib?

Anyone else thought about this, or have a good explanation of what is going on?

Paddler
December 24th, 2019, 07:01 AM
The Snorkel gives the ink a much shorter distance to travel. After filling, the Snorkel tube is full of ink. So the ink only has to travel from the tiny slit at the end of the tube, up a short, narrow channel to the slit in the nib. Ink fills the area under the nib later. With a converter filled off the pen, the ink has to travel out of the converter, through a channel in the section and fill the whole area under the nib to get to the slit.

Chuck Naill
December 24th, 2019, 11:42 AM
All this depends on when you choose to refill.

stub
December 25th, 2019, 09:09 PM
The Snorkel gives the ink a much shorter distance to travel.

The reason is simpler than that. The snorkel tube not only functions as filler, it is the ink delivery system as well. Your snorkel tube has an ebonite feed in it that runs through the tube and connects to the ink supply. The bottom of the tube has a slit that is up against the exposed ebonite feed and fins that are under the nib. In other words, the tube is the feed and you are in priming your feed when you fill your snorkel.

Ever had a Snorkel fill perfectly and not write? That happens when the snorkel tube feed is broken or that slit at the end of the snorkel tube is clogged or doesn't mate with the ass end of the feed.

There is prolly a better way to explain this but indeed your snorkel tube is not merely a tube.

SHEAFFER GENIUS FOLKS.