PDA

View Full Version : Is this Nib Damaged

Chuck Naill
December 29th, 2019, 05:56 AM
I am beginning my search for a Parker Vacumatic. This is from an estate sale. The nib looks like it's been spread apart, but I am unfamiliar with Parker nibs. Thoughts?

Deb
December 29th, 2019, 06:04 AM
It needs some work to straighten and realign the tines.

Chrissy
December 29th, 2019, 10:37 AM
I would agree with Deb, the tines are spread apart but it should be possible to get them back together and then line them up.
I think the nib & feed would need to be knocked out first as that would make it easier to push each tine in towards the centre with thumbs and forefingers.

Blue Note
December 29th, 2019, 11:43 AM
I’ve seen this repair done by gently crossing each tine over the other and then applying a little pressure to the back of the nib. I have not done this and I expect it would require a very cautious approach. Might be best to seek out the help of a professional nib meister.

top pen
December 29th, 2019, 12:04 PM
I would try and remove it from the section first before you try and bring the tines together. It's quite a simple repair. But one you can make far worse if you try and do it with the nib attached to the pen.

Chrissy
December 29th, 2019, 12:08 PM
I have fixed nibs by crossing tines over each other, but I wondered if these two were quite far apart to start there and may need pushing in together slightly first. :)
Once they are closer together, crossing them over each other is probably the way to go in order to get them aligned all the way down the slit. Then you will need to align them straight across the tips looking at the tines end on. :)
Much care is needed but it should be doable.

FredRydr
December 29th, 2019, 12:24 PM
Based on the photo, the twisted and bent tines are a job for a pro. They appear to be more than just separated. If you do this yourself, beware of separating the iridium tip material from the nib when you manipulate those twisted tines, or the repair will cost more than the value of the nib. Modern nibs are less likely to shed the tipping material than vintage.

If it was my pen, I would source another Parker nib and set this one aside for later repair (or scrap if it doesn't work out).

Chuck Naill
December 29th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Based on the photo, this is a job for a pro. If you do this yourself, beware of separating the iridium tip material from the nib when you manipulate those twisted tines, or the repair will cost more than the value of the nib. Modern nibs are less likely to shed the tipping material than vintage.

If it was my pen, I would source another Parker nib and set this one aside for later repair (or scrap if it doesn't work out).

I am no longer considering this pen. The reason is there are just too many available that are restored in the sub $75 range. However, thank you for confirming my thoughts that this nib is not correct. My pen discernment is progressing.

FredRydr
December 29th, 2019, 12:47 PM
I haven't expressed an opinion about correctness, just value versus condition.

You are wise to compare alternatives. It can become a bad habit taking "orphan pens" home without a viable plan.

Deb
December 29th, 2019, 01:14 PM
Based on the photo, this is a job for a pro. If you do this yourself, beware of separating the iridium tip material from the nib when you manipulate those twisted tines, or the repair will cost more than the value of the nib. Modern nibs are less likely to shed the tipping material than vintage.

I am no longer considering this pen. The reason is there are just too many available that are restored in the sub $75 range. However, thank you for confirming my thoughts that this nib is not correct. My pen discernment is progressing.

I think that's wise. That nib is bent in two planes and would take quite a bit of time and effort to get right. As you say, there are better examples for the same price.

Chrissy
December 29th, 2019, 02:30 PM

I think that is very wise too. :thumb:

Deb
December 29th, 2019, 04:18 PM

You are wise to compare alternatives. It can become a bad habit taking "orphan pens" home without a viable plan.

Ah, that's what explains the pens in that dusty box over there...

FredRydr
December 29th, 2019, 05:02 PM

You mean the viable plan box?

Deb
December 29th, 2019, 06:11 PM

You mean the viable plan box?

One day...

Scrawler
December 30th, 2019, 06:23 AM

I think that's wise. That nib is bent in two planes and would take quite a bit of time and effort to get right. As you say, there are better examples for the same price.

It also has a crack in it.