PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc 149 Worth the price?

penmainiac
January 7th, 2020, 05:06 PM
I didn’t want to put this in the MB forum as there might be some biases, but does anyone know if the MB149 is worth it’s price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Szanto
January 7th, 2020, 05:12 PM
You do realize that is a question without an answer, right? You can buy fountain pens that write just as well for far less, but that has nothing to do with worth. An MB 149 in it's best condition is as good a pen as you'll even find, but whether it is worth what you will pay for it is entirely up to you, the buyer. None of us can make that call, except for ourselves.

penmainiac
January 7th, 2020, 05:13 PM
You do realize that is a question without an answer, right? You can buy fountain pens that write just as well for far less, but that has nothing to do with worth. An MB 149 in it's best condition is as good a pen as you'll even find, but whether it is worth what you will pay for it is entirely up to you, the buyer. None of us can make that call, except for ourselves.

Ah ok, I understand

silverlifter
January 7th, 2020, 05:15 PM
Given how many that they manage to sell every year, I would imagine most people think they are.

Personally, I think they made their best pens in the 1960's: the double digit line, especially the 12 and 14, are exceptionally good pens. And can be picked up for a lot less than a modern 149.

Chuck Naill
January 8th, 2020, 04:54 AM
As pocket jewelry, it is unsurpassed because it’s highly recognizable.

As a writing tool I was unimpressed. It’s just not the right size for me to use daily on the job.

manoeuver
January 8th, 2020, 07:48 AM
I reviewed one a few years back and it got perfect marks. I don't own one.

I suspect what usually happens is folks who want the pen buy it used from folks who are ready to be rid of the status symbol.

My buddy picked up a sweet vintage 149 at the Ohio Pen Show for like $175, I coulda smacked him.

Scrawler
January 8th, 2020, 10:43 AM
If I was able to afford one it would be.

Wahl
January 8th, 2020, 10:55 AM
As Jon said, it´s really your call.

Personally, I prefer the 146, it fits my hand better.

AzJon
January 8th, 2020, 04:06 PM
Weren't you looking for a 149 many months ago and were advised to get to a pen show to try them to see if you actually like them?

Chrissy
January 9th, 2020, 01:13 AM
Weren't you looking for a 149 many months ago and were advised to get to a pen show to try them to see if you actually like them?
Yes. A year ago. This is mentioned in his other 149 thread in the Montblanc forum (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/30095-Fair-price-for-a-MB149)

Aurelius
January 9th, 2020, 03:16 PM
Now, bear with me as I know this is going to be controversial, but I am going to say emphatically "No".

I am talking about retail price. And the MSRP for a 149 is simply ludicrous. I am not saying the 149 is not a good pen (it is and I own one) but the $1k asking price is not in line with the quality it brings. Yes, it's built like a Volvo and, yes, it's about as exciting, but $1k is simply silly. Now, if you get one second hand, you will likely end up paying around forty cents on the dollar. Any time, you cut the price in half, you obviously change the "value" equation. I think that, if it fits your hand, a 'used' 149 is a wonderful pen. There is obviously a lot of options when you start talking about spending that kind of money, so whether or not it's worth it is, as many have said, a very personal decision.

Hawker800
January 9th, 2020, 03:27 PM
I like mine the more I use it. I wouldn't buy another one. [emoji2369]

FredRydr
January 9th, 2020, 03:43 PM
Two conflicting responses:
- I've owned many 149s, both celluloid and resin. After reducing my vintage and modern Montblanc collection down to just two pens, neither is a 149. Too big. An early resin 146 turned out to be one of my MB keepers, because the size makes more sense to me than a 149. Some of you know niksch, and years ago he compared the ink capacity of the 149 and 146, and the difference was negligible. The 149 is all show, but it's a lovely show. The 146 is the same show, and better at it.
- Yes, get a used 149, and put the matter to rest. They keep their value, so you can always sell it and get something else, or like it and keep it forever.

Chuck Naill
January 9th, 2020, 05:20 PM
Two conflicting responses:
- I've owned many 149s, both celluloid and resin. After reducing my vintage and modern Montblanc collection down to just two pens, neither is a 149. Too big. An early resin 146 turned out to be one of my MB keepers, because the size makes more sense to me than a 149. Some of you know niksch, and years ago he compared the ink capacity of the 149 and 146, and the difference was negligible. The 149 is all show, but it's a lovely show. The 146 is the same show, and better at it.
- Yes, get a used 149, and put the matter to rest. They keep their value, so you can always sell it and get something else, or like it and keep it forever.

Of course it's all show. Ever heard of go big or go home? If you don't at least get one at some point you will always want one . Once you do, you can use Esterbrooks.

manoeuver
January 9th, 2020, 05:58 PM

there it is. that is smart Fred.

sjssf
January 9th, 2020, 06:47 PM
The problem with a used one is determining which is real and which is a knock off.

I like the look but personally, I'd go with Yard-O-Led for that kind of money.

guyy
January 9th, 2020, 07:32 PM
Knock off 149s are few and far between. You’ll be fine if you do your homework — which is something you should do with any used pen anyway.

dneal
January 9th, 2020, 07:50 PM
I had one, and I sold it.

It was an 80's or so vintage. W. Germany on the clip and split ebonite feed. If I were going to buy another one, that's what I'd get. I wouldn't buy new production, and I can't afford the old ones. I liked the size. It's a substantial pen. I liked the looks. I didn't like the big honkin' nib. Visually impressive, but the length of it kept my fingers so far above the tip/writing surface that it felt weird.

I probably could have gotten used to it, but it seemed like too much trouble so I sold it. Your mileage may vary.

Bold2013
January 9th, 2020, 09:02 PM
I second what others have said.

Owning a 149 and 34 I find the latter to be a more satisfying writer.

It’s worth a try at a fair used price that you could trade or sell with little risk.

penwash
January 9th, 2020, 10:04 PM
The problem with a used one is determining which is real and which is a knock off.

Not if you buy from reputable sellers who will give you return and money back guarantee.

Chrissy
January 9th, 2020, 11:49 PM

there it is. that is smart Fred.

This. Spend the cash you've saved up since last January and just get one. :)

I like the look but personally, I'd go with Yard-O-Led for that kind of money.

It's no problem to determine an authentic used 149. As long as you ensure you get the correct nib and the correct internal piston you're there.

KBeezie
January 13th, 2020, 01:55 PM
Depends on who you ask in regards to "worth it".

For me, I don't want a Modern 149/146. Only reason I got the 149 I have currently is because it had a bit of a springy 14K bi-color nib from the early 90s. The ones after that are "boring" to me.

Far as a fake 149, the obvious tell is that a 149 is never going to need to fill by removing the barrel. And I've not seen evidence of a fake 149 with an integrated piston filler.

Bob
January 18th, 2020, 07:57 PM
It’s worth every penny. I’d like to see a matte black 149

welch
January 21st, 2020, 05:56 PM
I like the size of the 146, but if you really want a Meisterstuck, buy one second hand. I got a nice 146 for about $250 on Ebay. It did not come with papers, but it's a pen...not a thoroughbred dog.

Titivillus
January 23rd, 2020, 08:36 AM
If it is something that you’d like than it is just the thing for you. I would echo that looking on the secondary market is the best place to check. To dig a little deeper are you looking for the name recognition or the size and quality of the pen? If it’s the latter there are other pens that could fit the bill for less.

Really it comes down to personal choice. I’ve owned two 149s, four different legrande sized and five of the writers. They all had something that made me want them so they were perfect for me at the time.