PDA

View Full Version : 7g Solid Gold Wedding Band

heymatthew
January 11th, 2020, 07:05 PM
Hello all
Looking to sell a 7g gold wedding band. The short version is that my wife and I split. I thought I might do something sentimental with the band but I can’t bring myself to keep it.

Current gold price is all over the place so I’d like to get $130 shipped for it. The band is completely serviceable but would need to be cleaned and polished. It’s probably worth more as scrap or for a pen maker to use for a clip or cap rings.

Also willing to trade for a pen in the $150-200 price range. Specifically looking for a 1911 Large or Pro Gear Standard (21k nib in Medium or Broad, color doesn’t matter).

Can provide photos and a scale image of you need them.

Thanks
Matthew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FredRydr
January 11th, 2020, 07:17 PM
Assuming 7.00g is the exact weight, you still need to specify purity.

Chrissy
January 12th, 2020, 01:32 AM
The daily gold price is for pure gold and is significantly different to the scrap gold price that you would be given by a bullion dealer. For 7grams of scrap 24ct gold you would be paid $262 at today's rate. That amount will change daily.

As Fred says you need to know the purity of gold that your wedding band is made from. Pure 24ct gold is quite soft so it's not commonly used for wedding bands.

I suggest your best option would be for you to go and get your money for your 7grams of gold then buy the pen that you want.

VertOlive
January 12th, 2020, 07:04 PM
I’m so sorry. I wish you well.

calamus
January 15th, 2020, 11:28 AM
At the current spot price ($1555.10/troy ounce of 24K gold), 7 grams of 14K gold, the type most commonly used in jewelry, particularly in the US, has a gold content "melt value" of about $204. In my experience, depending on who you sell the ring to, you might get as much as the full melt value (though most dealers won't pay that much) to as little as about $150.

heymatthew
January 16th, 2020, 07:53 PM
Thanks y’all. Appreciate the clarity. Anyone interested can make me an offer. I live in a really small town and there’s nobody here that buys gold except pawn shops and they are all currently paying a little under $10 a gram.

It’s 10K gold.

Chrissy
January 17th, 2020, 12:16 AM
Thanks y’all. Appreciate the clarity. Anyone interested can make me an offer. I live in a really small town and there’s nobody here that buys gold except pawn shops and they are all currently paying a little under $10 a gram.

It’s 10K gold.

I also live in a small town where gold can't be sold face to face unless directly to a jeweller. We don't have any pawn shops.
Here in the UK we can sell gold by sending it to a gold dealer on the internet.