PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this pen?

moura
June 15th, 2013, 10:04 PM
This pen belonged to my grandfather. Because of his job, people would offer him pen sets, especially Sheaffer and Parker pens. I guess it was a common thing back then. Does anyone know the model and year?351535163517351835193520
The pen has a very low-shine, almost matte finish and is, of course, a Sheaffer pen. Sorry for the low quality, I took the pics with my god awful Nexus 7's front-camera.

fountainpenkid
June 15th, 2013, 11:07 PM
I think it is a franken pen with a sheaffer no-nonsense nib in it.

moura
June 16th, 2013, 12:17 AM
You can't see it in the pictures but there's a "SHEAFFER" engraving on the cap's clip, besides the one on the nib.

Jon Szanto
June 16th, 2013, 12:37 AM
I think it is a franken pen with a sheaffer no-nonsense nib in it.
You'll note it's only her first post (her second was after yours) - I doubt "franken pen" is going to be helpful to her.

Moura, I hope someone might completely recognize the pen, but we have a suspicion that the 'front' part of the pen - the nib, which you write with, and the part that it attached to (the section, which screws into the barrel of the pen) - might not be original (parts from different pen models, being put together, are often referred to as "Franken-pens"). I can't quite tell: is there a white dot at the top of the clip? Whatever it is, it isn't a common version pen, but the basic body shape and clip looks like a model or two (the "Fashion" comes to mind) that they made, IIRC, in the late 80's/early 90's.

Hopefully we'll get more eyes on this. Give people a little bit of time to weigh in...

moura
June 16th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Wow I really should've guessed what "Franken" means. Silly me!
It doesn't have a white dot, just the "Sheaffer" engravings I mentioned. Anyway, thanks guys.

HughC
June 16th, 2013, 04:45 AM
A lot of these simply got called a "Sheaffer Cartridge pen" or in this case most likely a "Sheaffer School pen". Suffice to say a low end but very usable pen, a nice keepsake but of little value.

Regards
Hugh

fountainpenkid
June 16th, 2013, 08:42 AM
You can't see it in the pictures but there's a "SHEAFFER" engraving on the cap's clip, besides the one on the nib.

Ohhh...then I have no idea on the exact model. I think Hugh is right.

Ernst Bitterman
June 17th, 2013, 02:54 PM
That all-metal variant was referred to in some UK catalogues as an "S-Range". It's a tiny step up in cost from the basic nameless cartridge pens, but otherwise like them in almost all respects except the shell material... which means surprisingly good writers.

Frank
June 19th, 2013, 07:14 AM
I have the cap for this pen (Metal/aluminum), so it is nice to see the section/nib that should go with it!

P.S.- The barrel is also metal? Are there any markings on the barrel- Sheaffer(s) USA/etc.??

Thanks!
Frank

Midg
June 30th, 2013, 11:44 AM
This looks similar to a Sheaffer Delta Grip. As noted above, it's like a Sheaffer school pen. The Delta Grips, apparently, were used for marketing and advertising. You can see an example at Pendemonium (www.pendemonium.com).