PDA

View Full Version : A new Japanese Shippoyaki Bakelite fountain pen

TaizoOkagaki
January 14th, 2020, 12:48 AM
How do you think about this fountain pen? I would love to hear your first impression!

The body is made from bakelite and on cap crown there is Shippoyaki art (Japanese cloisonne) made by a famous Japanese shippoyaki artist.
I am going to run a funding project for this fountain pen on Kickstarter.
If you are interest in the art and the pen, I appreciate your support.

https://www.wancherpen.com/pages/shippoyaki

amk
January 14th, 2020, 02:00 AM
That's rather lovely. The pen itself quite simple and all the effort going into the button. I thought the one on the right was raden, to begin with.

azkid
January 14th, 2020, 07:03 PM
Those are quite attractive, wow.

TaizoOkagaki
January 14th, 2020, 08:06 PM
That's rather lovely. The pen itself quite simple and all the effort going into the button. I thought the one on the right was raden, to begin with.

Thank you so much! It's quite similar to raden though because it also includes shell in the ingredients.

TaizoOkagaki
January 14th, 2020, 08:20 PM
Those are quite attractive, wow.

Thank you!!!

Jon Szanto
January 14th, 2020, 08:28 PM
I have been following you for a few months on Instagram and this is the project that really captured my eye. Just saw the KS notice on IG so I signed up for notification. Keep up the beautiful work - ALL of your pens have looked lovely and seemed to have such high craftsmanship standards.

Sagebrush64
January 15th, 2020, 12:15 AM
Those are some very attractive pens....understated is a good way to describe them...until you see that top finial. Very nice.

penwash
January 15th, 2020, 09:38 AM
But why Bakelite? That reminded me of vintage box cameras.

a.k.a polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride if the internet were to be inquired, I just want to write that word :)

ChrisJ
January 16th, 2020, 07:39 AM
Those do look like lovely pens

How does the Bakelite compare to Ebonite or Acrylic, is it different to turn ? does it have a unique feel ?

I understand it can be more brittle

TaizoOkagaki
January 22nd, 2020, 08:36 PM
Those do look like lovely pens

How does the Bakelite compare to Ebonite or Acrylic, is it different to turn ? does it have a unique feel ?

I understand it can be more brittle

Yes, it has a unique feel. It is stronger. And it has final hairline finish.

stub
January 22nd, 2020, 09:08 PM
I dunno. Bakelite (beautiful though it can be) gets really brittle and shatters easily.

How is that addressed in these pens. I'd worry.