PDA

View Full Version : Linen paper?

Pens&Lit
June 16th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Hello all,

There is a correspondence set online I have been eyeballing for a bit, and I'm thinking of using some money I was gifted to treat myself. It is an assortment of occasional cards on linen paper. Never having used linen paper before, I was curious as to how a fountain pen would do on this kind of paper. Any advice/information would be much appreciated before I shell out the coin. Thanks!

Pens&Lit

MisterBoll
June 16th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Is the paper smooth or does it have some tooth to it? It's been my experience that smoother paper will generally work better with fountain pens but it really depends on the paper, the pen you are using, and your writing style.

Tracy Lee
June 17th, 2013, 04:49 AM
What is the brand? I have a love of Amalfi paper which is all cotton, deckled edge, ever so slightly toothy but I would never write on it with a fine nib. Matching paper to nib makes a huge difference. Maybe give us a brand of paper and a nib type that is typical for you and we can help more. My Zerkhall Buetten also prefers a wetter nib, and on both, as they are very large sheets, I keep a piece of regular paper across the surface under the base of my hand as I write, sliding it down, as the cotton pulls moisture from your skin and changes how the paper behaves and receives the ink. Both have a texture similar to a well worn dollar bill.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

jbb
June 17th, 2013, 07:06 AM
I'm not personally fond of the texture of linen paper but I think that's just personal preference. Without knowing the brand or testing this paper specifically there is no way to know if the paper will be fountain pen friendly as regards things like feathering.

Pens&Lit
June 17th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think I will check out their site again and see if I can order a few cards and test them out before ordering the whole set. Thanks again!

notenoughcash
January 9th, 2017, 04:00 AM
Hi, I just heard about this Linen first time, Could I get this here in Australia?