PDA

View Full Version : 'Simplicity' Style FP in Ruby Red Acrylic, with 18K Nib

drgoretex
June 17th, 2013, 07:20 AM
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/IMG_7982_zps33e516a3.jpg?t=1371412309

Well, I haven't posted one of this style before, so here's a bit of fun. This is the first of a two-pen order I am in the middle of (in between work, family, life, etc). This pen is done in a style I originally called 'Simplicity of Heart' for its simple, uncomplicated lines - which allows the focus to be on the material rather than the shape of the pen. The acrylic used here is a rich, ruby red (hmmm...allowable alliteration?) flake/crush.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/IMG_7983_zpsc18ff225.jpg?t=1371412312

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/IMG_7989_zps477244ad.jpg?t=1371412319

The pen is fitted with an 18K fine nib (to be tweaked to an EF before shipping), and is a c/c fill.

Thanks for looking! Comments/critiques welcome.

Ken

manoeuver
June 17th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Ken, it's beautiful. I love the simplicity of the pen when it's closed.

that thing is going to roll under the couch though.

pocketses
June 19th, 2013, 01:22 AM
I like clipped pens, but this is eye grabbing!

Your sections on all your pens just look very comfortable. It's a nice detail that I think sometimes is more an afterthought on custom pens.

drgoretex
June 19th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Ken, it's beautiful. I love the simplicity of the pen when it's closed.

that thing is going to roll under the couch though.

Thanks! Ya, cliplessness means risk of rolling, but one can always use a pen rest. I have several clipless pens that I use at work, and have never had one roll away. Still - I know what you mean. Some security in having the clip :)

I like clipped pens, but this is eye grabbing!

Your sections on all your pens just look very comfortable. It's a nice detail that I think sometimes is more an afterthought on custom pens.

Thanks very much!

Ken

dr.grace
June 19th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Do people find that the large step down from the barrel to the section makes it uncomfortable to hold? That's the first thing that worries me when I look at this pen. Otherwise, it's gorgeous!

manoeuver
June 19th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Ken, I think a flat spot on the pen would help avoid rolling and make a pen a very cool (if asymmetrical) shape.

KrazyIvan
June 19th, 2013, 02:09 PM
I have the Bamboo clipless and it has a similar step down as this one. I do not find it uncomfortable.

drgoretex
June 19th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Ken, I think a flat spot on the pen would help avoid rolling and make a pen a very cool (if asymmetrical) shape.

Actually, a very compelling idea. A single flat for uniqueness, all up cap and barrel, or perhaps a flat on either side kind of like a Lamy Safari barrel. Hmmm.....

Ken

KrazyIvan
June 19th, 2013, 03:42 PM

Actually, a very compelling idea. A single flat for uniqueness, all up cap and barrel, or perhaps a flat on either side kind of like a Lamy Safari barrel. Hmmm.....

Ken

We talked about that on my Bamboo pen and I forgot to bring it up when the final order came around.

southpaw52
June 20th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Very nice looking pen.

manoeuver
June 20th, 2013, 01:53 PM

Ken
I really like the idea of a single flat. that would be a strange and beautiful pen.

drgoretex
June 20th, 2013, 06:25 PM

Ken

We talked about that on my Bamboo pen and I forgot to bring it up when the final order came around.

I don't think it would work nearly so well on a Bamboo style, though. Would just take away from the look of the nodes. I think. Maybe. :noidea:

Ken

cedargirl
June 20th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Phooey to clips ... I love it.

KrazyIvan
June 21st, 2013, 08:29 AM

Ken

I don't think it would work nearly so well on a Bamboo style, though. Would just take away from the look of the nodes. I think. Maybe. :noidea:

Ken

I guess you are right. Loving the pen and hope to get a review out soon. :)

I imagine an Omas 360 shaped barrel would be difficult to do.

drgoretex
June 22nd, 2013, 08:57 PM

Ken

Ken

I guess you are right. Loving the pen and hope to get a review out soon. :)

I imagine an Omas 360 shaped barrel would be difficult to do.

Never mind the Omas - One of my upcoming pen projects is to create a six-sided pen, for reasons I will explain when I make it. *That* is going to be a bit tricky...

Ken