PDA

View Full Version : Did I just commit a fountain pen repair sin?

ndw76
June 18th, 2013, 03:35 AM
I have a leaky eyedropper pen, so I went to the hardware store and got a selection of their smallest rubber o rings. Turns out they are all way too big. So I had to find another solution. First I thought about the little rubber bands my daughter uses in her hair. But that would have to be looped around too many times fit. Then I remembered the plumbers thread tape. I bought a while ago. I cut off a strip and cut that strip in half and wrapped up the threads. It feels tighter and time will tell how well this solution works.

t can anyone tell me if this was not the best thing to do and why? Have I committed some sin by using plumbers thread sealing tape?

Deb
June 18th, 2013, 04:55 AM
The usual repair for leaky eyedroppers is a smear of silicone grease. Teflon tape isn't really recommended for pen repair; it does the job but because it wraps the threads at the points that it's not needed as well as those where it is, it can increase the size of the threads and cause a cracked barrel. The grease goes where it's needed and causes no pressure on the barrel.

ndw76
June 18th, 2013, 05:05 AM
That would be great if there was somewhere I could get silicone grease.

plistumi
June 18th, 2013, 06:46 AM
You can get it at the hardware store. Plumbers use it. Good luck!

jar
June 18th, 2013, 08:01 AM

Hardware stores, dive shops, welding supply shops, medical supply shops, pharmacies.

ndw76
June 18th, 2013, 08:18 AM

Hardware stores, dive shops, welding supply shops, medical supply shops, pharmacies.

Thanks for the tip. I will try some of those shops.

drgoretex
June 18th, 2013, 11:15 AM
You can also get it from Goulet Pens:

http://www.gouletpens.com/Goulet_Silicone_Grease_p/gpc-siliconegrease.htm

Ken

Jon Szanto
June 18th, 2013, 01:32 PM
What they said. Additionally, the teflon tape will eventually abrade down into a bunch of little pieces, and is a bit of a chore to clean, but again, the main thing is the added stress on the barrel. Try and find that silicon grease and reverse the repair, you'll be glad you did.

At least I didn't open up the thread and see "Hey, I used Super-Glue to put the section back in my pen, what could possibly go wrong?"

gweddig
June 18th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Be sure to get 100% pure silicone grease. Any that contain petroleum products do not interact well with certain pen materials. I understand dive shops generally have the pure stuff. I added a bottle to an order from Richard Binder but many pen suppliers carry it. A little goes a long way.

--greg

ndw76
June 19th, 2013, 05:57 AM
I just ordered some silicone grease from the Goulet pen company. I don't trust any business around here to not pass off petroleum jelly as silicone grease.

jar
June 19th, 2013, 06:14 AM
I just ordered some silicone grease from the Goulet pen company. I don't trust any business around here to not pass off petroleum jelly as silicone grease.

Locally, check dive shops. They almost certainly have pure silicone grease.

ardgedee
June 19th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Fountain Pen Revolution also sells silicone grease; shipping from India to Thailand might be a little cheaper than shipping from North America.

piscov
June 19th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Buy this one:

Molykote 111 compound from dow corning. The smaller tube holds 100 gr.

It's the best and safest to use in pens. It's expensive but it will last you a life time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta