PDA

View Full Version : home made midori style notebook

cwent2
June 19th, 2013, 08:50 PM

GourmetPens
June 19th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Very nice! That brown leather is yummy - it looks chock full of character! That medallion is also pretty nifty - was that something you had or did you find that somewhere?

Bogon07
June 19th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Wonderful patina on that leather. The gold paper clip adds a bit of bling.
Are the inserts home-made too ?

Was the fork used in making it or is it for dinner ?

earthdawn
June 19th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Great job !

Looks really nice. Love the leather.

Where did you get the leather to do it and what thickness is it?

cwent2
June 19th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Very nice! That brown leather is yummy - it looks chock full of character! That medallion is also pretty nifty - was that something you had or did you find that somewhere?
Found the medallion at Jo Ann's in the paper craft section. The leather came from Overstock.com It is a Tandy leather product 8.5 x 11.0 trimmed to appropriated size and used black shoe polish and leather conditioner and a bit of Noodler's Black ink to obtain the distressed brown color.

Cw

cwent2
June 19th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Great job !

Overstock.com - It is a Tandy Leather product and is about 2.5 mm thick - does have a good firmness to it but not too hard to bend.

And Thank you!

Carl

cwent2
June 19th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Wonderful patina on that leather. The gold paper clip adds a bit of bling.
Are the inserts home-made too ?

The inserts are home made http://mylifeallinoneplace.blogspot.com/p/midori-tn-inserts.html followed these directions
Was the fork used in making it or is it for dinner ?

No, Fork was for dinner = didn't see it in the pic's till after I posted it.

lol

earthdawn
June 19th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Great job !

Overstock.com - It is a Tandy Leather product and is about 2.5 mm thick - does have a good firmness to it but not too hard to bend.

And Thank you!

Carl

Thank you ... This is next on my "project" list of things to do.

Now that I figured out making the notebooks its the cover I really and want to make.

AndyT
June 20th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Looks superb, jolly well done!

Mags
June 20th, 2013, 06:20 AM
very nicely done traveller notebook

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks

KrazyIvan
June 20th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Congrats Carl! Very nice looking notebook cover. I really like the way you distressed the leather.

cwent2
June 20th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. The reason I posted this however - and I should have added. is that this project is really easy to produce, does not cost alot of money and was fun. It took some time to produce the notebook inserts but the actual leather turned out to be easy. I used mylifeinoneplace blog as my inspiration and guide to produce the inserts. The leather as I said above came from overstock.com for ten and change and shipping was like 3.00 - the piece is a Tandy leather product so I imagine if you have a Tandy leather store locally it may even be cheaper there.

tandy leather # 4033-08

TMac
June 20th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Great job, looks good. On your notebooks, how did you bind them, did you used staples or stitching? Also, what adjustments did you make from the template to get them to work on US letter size?

cwent2
June 20th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Great job, looks good. On your notebooks, how did you bind them, did you used staples or stitching? Also, what adjustments did you make from the template to get them to work on US letter size?
binding is stitched - I printed the templates as a4 full size on 8.5x11 and then trimmed the top as well as one side - length is 210 with width 110. cut the paper down to size after you stitch the cover on.

cwent2
June 27th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Made a couple more one full size black with inner lining and the other small size with liner

cw

KrazyIvan
June 27th, 2013, 09:02 PM
I like the one with the map lining. Very nice Carl! So when do you open up your store? :D

cwent2
June 28th, 2013, 08:24 AM
I like the one with the map lining. Very nice Carl! So when do you open up your store? :D

Store? I think not - would need a good supply of cheap leather - that is hard to find. This latest piece is sweet though very large piece of leather, a little more pliable than the Tandy Leather piece and that is why I added a liner to it. But Christmas presents.... that may be an idea...

The passport size is for my wife, hence the Rose.

Carl

Pens&Lit
June 30th, 2013, 07:40 AM
These are really great. Thanks for posting this! I am going to try my hand at making some inserts. It will be my first project of this kind. Thanks again! Now I have a new blog to follow, too.

kemuri
July 8th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. The reason I posted this however - and I should have added. is that this project is really easy to produce, does not cost alot of money and was fun. It took some time to produce the notebook inserts but the actual leather turned out to be easy. I used mylifeinoneplace blog as my inspiration and guide to produce the inserts. The leather as I said above came from overstock.com for ten and change and shipping was like 3.00 - the piece is a Tandy leather product so I imagine if you have a Tandy leather store locally it may even be cheaper there.

tandy leather # 4033-08

Very nice and well finished notebook. Beautiful design too! Congrats!

I, myself, enjoy doing this kind of things (notebooks with softcovers, hardcovers etc). I think it's a very good hobby.

Get into fountain pens and trying to "discover" and use different types of paper just got me to this thread!

I found this channel on youtube that is very usefull:

www.youtube.com/user/SeaLemonDIY

Thanks alot. Your work with this journal just gave em many new ideas!

-kemuri

KrazyIvan
August 7th, 2013, 01:28 PM
On Monday the mail person at the office dropped off a package. I was not aware I had anything pending but when I saw the return address, question marks were surely visible above my head.

I have already thanked you privately Carl but I thought I would say thanks publicly! :D

I am now the proud owner of a "Carlidori". :D With an old map liner too.

cwent2
August 7th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Ivan

You are very welcome - It was my way of saying Thank You for your assistance to me on my Fountain Pen Journey.

Carl Wood

Tracy Lee
August 7th, 2013, 05:36 PM
On Monday the mail person at the office dropped off a package. I was not aware I had anything pending but when I saw the return address, question marks were surely visible above my head.

I have already thanked you privately Carl but I thought I would say thanks publicly! :D

I am now the proud owner of a "Carlidori". :D With an old map liner too.

That's awesome!! :-)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

TMac
August 8th, 2013, 04:12 AM
Carl, that is truly a classy act! It's refreshing to see someone express gratitude in such a way.

jbb
August 8th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Great post Carl!! We work with leather so I had an unfair advantage finding scraps around the workshop. I'm testing a rivet in the back to hold the elastic for closing the notebook and a pewter bead hammered closed as the crimp for the spine elastic. Mine was also cut on a laser.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7341/9416928129_3d438e44db_b.jpg