PDA

View Full Version : Tsuki-yo And Montblanc Midnight Blue

jacksterp
June 19th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Just ordered both. Will be my second bottle of Iro and my first of MB.

I am psyched!

Have heard such good things of both, I don't think I can go wrong.

Hez
June 19th, 2013, 10:45 PM
I have the MB and it is very nice.

The Good Captain
June 20th, 2013, 01:55 AM
The Midnight Blue is fabulous ink.

AndyT
June 20th, 2013, 04:24 AM
+ another one for the MBMB, super ink in a super bottle.

Mags
June 20th, 2013, 06:22 AM
This Midnight Blue I have not tried yet and will add it to my bucket list for inks.

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks

I like mango pudding
June 20th, 2013, 09:42 AM
I have MBMB and it's my daily writer ink. Good stuff.

CapeClear
June 22nd, 2013, 11:52 AM
Tsuki-Yo is the best ink ever!.....in my opinion :)

ethernautrix
June 23rd, 2013, 04:49 PM
Both of these inks are wonderful. I have Tsuki Yo in rotation - in a Montblanc (a 100-Year Historical) as it happens. These two blue (blue-black) inks are very nice; I also like Pelikan Blue-Black and Sailor Blue-Black.

Tony Rex
June 23rd, 2013, 09:48 PM
Top inks.

I really like tsukiyo, but I have the old mb blue black. Lately I prefer shinkai and Sailor Seiboku.

mhphoto
June 25th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Midnight Blue = gally heaven... *drool*

liapuyat
June 27th, 2013, 06:09 AM
I currently have Tsuki-yo in my Lamy 2000. Good flow, lovely color.

jacksterp
July 29th, 2013, 09:51 AM
I love 'em both. They really are top shelf inks.

Margana
July 29th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Looking forward to feedback when you've had some time to enjoy both of your new inks. Tsuki-yo has such great properties and color, but I like its more subtle sibling, syo-ro, almost as much. Should I be tempted to buy MBMB or is it too similar to other inks to bother?

AndyT
July 29th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Should I be tempted to buy MBMB or is it too similar to other inks to bother?

I can't think of an exact equivalent in terms of colour, maybe Diamine Eclipse comes close? Anyway, it's the darkest, most sombre blue-black I can think of.

There are a couple of other points worth considering though: firstly this stuff really is waterproof and therefore ideal for addressing envelopes and the suchlike. (I wouldn't worry unduly about the iron gall, so long as you're not in the habit of leaving ink in a pen for months on end). And secondly, it comes in a fancy bottle which works brilliantly - seriously, it's one of the best designs available and well worth having even if you decide not to replace the ink when it runs out. Shop around a bit though, MB inks are frequently offered at inflated prices but work out quite reasonable if you find the right source.

Margana
July 29th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the reply, Andy. MBMB is probably darker than I need though iron gall inks are fine. I use R&K Scabiosa, Salix, and Diamine BBk in some of my more free flowing pens and have never had a problem.

Tell me about MB prices! My collection of their inks includes Violet, Bordeaux, plus multiple bottles of MBRG and none were bought at the same price. Only the boutiques seem to be consistent. Perhaps you can get better deals in the UK.

That bottle does look handsome and apparently quite utilitarian. Kudos for incorporating both in the same design.

AndyT
July 30th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Tell me about MB prices!

I would if I could remember! It seemed remarkably fair at the time (this was from a bricks and mortar MB stockist).

A quick google just now turned up Wheeler's Luxury Goods (http://www.wheelersluxurygifts.com/shop/c/659/ink-bottles/) selling the range at £11 for 60ml. A bit over 18 pence per millilitre is comfortably cheaper than Caran d'Ache, Edelstein, Visconti, Sailor and even Herbin D series ... not to mention Iroshizuku. On the other hand, it's more than twice the price of the R&K inks you mention both of which are personal favourites. The chances are that I'll be refilling my bottle with Salix when it runs out, but that's not to say that I regret the purchase.

jde
July 30th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Love Tsuki-yo... not so crazy about MBMB, although so many folks love it. Vive la différence!

Margana, FYI: I noticed recently that Andersonpens.net carries Montblanc inks, and they sell 3ml samples, so it becomes possible to check it out without committing.

Margana
July 31st, 2013, 04:18 AM
Tell me about MB prices!

I would if I could remember! It seemed remarkably fair at the time (this was from a bricks and mortar MB stockist).

A quick google just now turned up Wheeler's Luxury Goods (http://www.wheelersluxurygifts.com/shop/c/659/ink-bottles/) selling the range at £11 for 60ml. A bit over 18 pence per millilitre is comfortably cheaper than Caran d'Ache, Edelstein, Visconti, Sailor and even Herbin D series ... not to mention Iroshizuku. On the other hand, it's more than twice the price of the R&K inks you mention both of which are personal favourites. The chances are that I'll be refilling my bottle with Salix when it runs out, but that's not to say that I regret the purchase.

Thanks for the tip, Andy, but the shipping "charged at £20 per parcel" to the US takes the bargain out of the deal. Anyway, it isn't like I don't already have enough ink to last for a decade or two. Salix is such a good ink. All of my pens seem to suit it well. Then there is tsuki-yo for more intense color and elegant flow. Oh, my. It's time to go ink a pen and put it to good use.

Margana
July 31st, 2013, 04:24 AM
Love Tsuki-yo... not so crazy about MBMB, although so many folks love it. Vive la différence!

Margana, FYI: I noticed recently that Andersonpens.net carries Montblanc inks, and they sell 3ml samples, so it becomes possible to check it out without committing.

Such a wicked enabler! Do you have any idea how many samples I could order?

jacksterp
July 31st, 2013, 05:17 AM
Margana - I have ordered from these folks before and have had no issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Montblanc-Bottled-Refill-Midnight-105194/dp/B003IJAIJI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375269157&sr=8-2&keywords=montblanc+midnight+blue

The same is true of Inklead. Both shipped very fast. Prices will bounce around several dollars a bottle so if you are not in a rush you can probably get a bottle for ~$17 shipped.

AndyT
July 31st, 2013, 05:53 AM
... shipping "charged at £20 per parcel" to the US takes the bargain out of the deal. Anyway, it isn't like I don't already have enough ink to last for a decade or two.

The only way that could make any sense is as a big group buy. If it's any consolation you seem to get much better deals on Iroshizuku in the States than we do.

Margana
July 31st, 2013, 12:19 PM
Margana - I have ordered from these folks before and have had no issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Montblanc-Bottled-Refill-Midnight-105194/dp/B003IJAIJI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375269157&sr=8-2&keywords=montblanc+midnight+blue

The same is true of Inklead. Both shipped very fast. Prices will bounce around several dollars a bottle so if you are not in a rush you can probably get a bottle for ~$17 shipped.

Thank you for the tip, Jack. I tend to patronize dedicated pen shops and often forget that Amazon can be a good source for ink. That a small business is the true supplier is even better.