PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Wilde clip tarnish

mcannad1
February 20th, 2020, 05:37 PM
Got an Oscar Wilde writers edition for a steal because the clip was had some moderate tarnishing on it. Anyone know of a good way to clean and polish the clip back up without doing any damage to the pen?

FredRydr
February 20th, 2020, 05:55 PM
Goodness, this question about removing tarnish from metal parts has been coming up a lot, lately. Start with a jeweler's polishing cloth (e.g., Sunshine but there are others). If that doesn't remove the tarnish, try a smear of Wenol and a soft cloth on the metal only.

KBeezie
February 20th, 2020, 10:15 PM
Goodness, this question about removing tarnish from metal parts has been coming up a lot, lately. Start with a jeweler's polishing cloth (e.g., Sunshine but there are others). If that doesn't remove the tarnish, try a smear of Wenol and a soft cloth on the metal only.

It's a Montblanc... it's gotta be PERFECT ;)

Chrissy
February 21st, 2020, 12:49 AM
I'm with Fred on this one. I would use a Sunshine cloth, and carefully. It's worth bearing in mind that even Mb clips are usually only gold plated. :)

mcannad1
February 21st, 2020, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm going to order the sunshine cloth and start there.

mcannad1
February 26th, 2020, 12:49 PM
Sunshine cloth worked great! The clip on the Oscar Wilde I got was really dark and looked rough, about 30-60 seconds of light polishing with the Sunshine cloth has it looking like new! Thanks so much for the recommendation!

Chrissy
February 26th, 2020, 02:18 PM
Sunshine cloth worked great! The clip on the Oscar Wilde I got was really dark and looked rough, about 30-60 seconds of light polishing with the Sunshine cloth has it looking like new! Thanks so much for the recommendation!
It's always great to hear about a good result. I'm pleased for you. :)