PDA

View Full Version : Pen Feeders??

cedargirl
June 20th, 2013, 01:32 AM
Hi

I just purchased some vintage pens online and part of the haul is this box of "Pen Feeders".

I have never seen anything like these, but I am assuming they are a type of reservoir for dip pen nibs - maybe a specific type of nib.

I haven't received them yet, so I can't experiment. Looking at them, I am struggling to see how they might attach to the nib, short of inserting them in the holder with the nib, but the shape looks wrong for this.

All help appreciated.

AndyT
June 20th, 2013, 04:42 AM
This one is a permanent fixture on the pen holder, but should give you the idea:

It goes underneath, just bend to suit. Best to fill the reservoir with a brush or another pen. Disclaimer: I've never used this with fountain pen ink, and have a suspicion that low viscosity and super free flow are not going to be helpful ... maybe iron gall is the best bet to start with.

KrazyIvan
June 20th, 2013, 08:55 AM
I think I have read that they are referred to as "spoons".

cedargirl
June 20th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Thanks to both of you.

The photo helps a lot, AndyT. That's probably not how I would have tried to fit it; and "just bend to suit" - that makes sense.

I'll experiment with the inks to see what works - the only gall ink I have is a modern one - Scabiosa - I'll try that first and go drier if I need to.
Thanks again.

whych
June 22nd, 2013, 02:32 AM
Now I know what is in this Osmiroid nib pen I got.

cedargirl
June 22nd, 2013, 07:18 AM
That's interesting. Does it work?

whych
June 22nd, 2013, 07:40 AM
Only just got the pen (missing the cap and cost 99p). The pen works (thought it would need a new sac, but no). It looks like it is an italic and either the nib needs alignment or the pen is for someone who writes holding the nib at right angles to the line he is writing on. and not angled like you do with a normal nib or oblique nib.
The strange thing is it has a conventional feed as well as the feeder which is puzzling.
I'll knock the feed out and see how it looks in the next couple of days and let you know more about it.

OT - Are you wanting a Lamy OM nib from Cult Pens? I was thinking of trying one so I could get 2 and mail yours on.

cedargirl
June 22nd, 2013, 05:18 PM
Only just got the pen (missing the cap and cost 99p). The pen works (thought it would need a new sac, but no). It looks like it is an italic and either the nib needs alignment or the pen is for someone who writes holding the nib at right angles to the line he is writing on. and not angled like you do with a normal nib or oblique nib.
The strange thing is it has a conventional feed as well as the feeder which is puzzling.
I'll knock the feed out and see how it looks in the next couple of days and let you know more about it.

OT - Are you wanting a Lamy OM nib from Cult Pens? I was thinking of trying one so I could get 2 and mail yours on.

Email following.