PDA

View Full Version : Beware of an ongoing scam!

aronw
February 25th, 2020, 02:09 PM
Today I got a message from someone here on FPGeeks saying this person had 'seen a post elsewhere' for a pen that I was looking for here through a WTB ad.
He gave me an email address, which I responded to. The response I got looked quite fishy, with what seemed to be stock images on pens not matching what I was looking for in more than manufacturer name.

I just saw a post on reddit warning about a very similar apparent scam, see

http://www.reddit.com/r/Pen_Swap/comments/f9gjdv/scammer_alert/

EDIT 1: As no crime has been confirmed, I was initially not sure if I should share all the e-mail addresses and aliases involved. In light of the overwhelming agreement that something seems to be up,
here goes: As was mentioned below, the e-mail address is wondewomantnw@gmail.com (Teresa from Texas), and the user is Joseph.

EDIT 2: Updated link. Thanks Chrissy!

countrydirt
February 25th, 2020, 06:06 PM
I received a similar message yesterday, but when I saw the sender had made zero posts, I didn't follow up.

PoolBoy
February 25th, 2020, 09:14 PM
FPG has been the preferred scam site of one Jason Mei. Typically, after he has been "outed," he goes back into hiding for a while. But, he always returns.........

I understand your sensitivity about posting e-mails and aliases but please do us all a favor and look back at the previous threads which have exposed this creep and see if there are any similarities. Or, if you prefer, PM me with whatever information you can share and I'll try to help you sort it out. If it is him, he WILL scam folks before he gets exposed. Let's please not let that happen again!

Chrissy
February 25th, 2020, 11:27 PM
Today I got a message from someone here on FPGeeks saying this person had 'seen a post elsewhere' for a pen that I was looking for here through a WTB ad.
He gave me an email address, which I responded to. The response I got looked quite fishy, with what seemed to be stock images on pens not matching what I was looking for in more than manufacturer name.

I just saw a post on reddit warning about a very similar apparent scam, see

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pen_Swap/comments/f9gkzg/wtb_watch_out/

As no crime has been confirmed, I'm not sure if I should share all the e-mail addresses and aliases involved, but at the very least you have the scheme they seem to be following and some more details over at reddit.
The reddit post linked to here has been removed but see this reddit post instead (http://www.reddit.com/r/Pen_Swap/comments/f9gjdv/scammer_alert/) for more information.
The PM sender on FPG with no posts is "Joseph" and the email address that he gives in the message is the same as the one in this reddit post. I was sent a message giving me the same email address that he says belongs to someone called Teresa from Texas. When I merely asked for the link to the Classified ad on here I received no reply.

PoolBoy
February 26th, 2020, 06:16 AM
Some definite similarities to Jason Mei's scams. It would not be surprising if it was him. People are best advised to be cautious!

Orlybag
March 25th, 2021, 09:34 AM
I received similar in the messages before. I just ignore them and I think it's the best thing to do in order to avoid getting scammed. I do the same with any other side that I actually use and I don't trust at all. Sometimes you look for information on some topics that come from sources completely untrustworthy! That being said there are actually tools to check for yourself before you even register or you are ready to insert any personal data at. You can give a try to wpaudioplayer.com (http://wpaudioplayer.com/) And see for yourself the ease of validating sites with their program. Pretty cool.

PhillipDine
April 8th, 2021, 12:30 AM
I received similar in the messages before. I just ignore them and I think it's the best thing to do in order to avoid getting scammed. I do the same with any other side that I actually use and I don't trust at all. Sometimes you look for information on some topics that come from sources completely untrustworthy! That being said there are actually tools to check for yourself before you even register or you are ready to insert any personal data at. You can give a try to wpaudioplayer.com (http://wpaudioplayer.com/) And see for yourself the ease of validating sites with their program. Pretty cool.

I think your message is spam and advertising!

Chrissy
April 8th, 2021, 12:49 AM

I think your message is spam and advertising!
For sure it is.
When you see spammers like the one you noticed - "Orlybag" - you should press the small triangle to the right of the Thanks legend at the bottom left of the post and report it to the administrator by saying it's a spammer rather than trying to engage in conversation with them.

BayesianPrior
May 6th, 2021, 10:20 PM
Just got one from schwartzstuart6 telling me of someone in Texas who is selling a Pilot 74 with a PO nib.

I'm grateful the scammer chose the combination of pen and nib which does not exist!

Scammer reported.

Ole Juul
May 7th, 2021, 06:45 AM
Just got one from schwartzstuart6 telling me of someone in Texas who is selling a Pilot 74 with a PO nib.

I'm grateful the scammer chose the combination of pen and nib which does not exist!

That's probably a way to weed out potential marks. Those (like you) who are aware of that discrepancy are not of interest to the scammer. Same with email scammers, bad English and grammar is a great way to narrow down the field because the group who is not alerted by the obvious will contain more gullible people.

Chrissy
May 7th, 2021, 07:19 AM
Everyone who posts a WTB ad seems to be targeted. So it's worth being aware that's what the scammers are doing.

KrazyIvan
May 7th, 2021, 08:48 AM
If you search that email address, the first 6 hits are for different forums warning of a possible scam. It quickly devolves into articles about how to tell your parents you're dating. :crazy_pilot:

BayesianPrior
May 7th, 2021, 08:54 AM
If you search that email address, the first 6 hits are for different forums warning of a possible scam. It quickly devolves into articles about how to tell your parents you're dating. :crazy_pilot:

Any advice on how to tell my wife?

KrazyIvan
May 7th, 2021, 08:56 AM

Any advice on how to tell my wife?

It's funny but that got me thinking that this person may be doing dating site scams also.:facepalm: