PDA

View Full Version : Where would you move if you could?

Jiklon
March 6th, 2020, 06:24 AM
If you had to choose any place in the world to move there for permanent residence what would your choice be? Give your reasons please. Can you point out the most significant reasons? Just curious ) currently live in Denmark in a small town but dream to move to some warm country, e.g. Spain (currently am staying here for a week) or Turkey ) so my top reason is weather :rain:
what about you?

Chrissy
March 6th, 2020, 06:35 AM
Anywhere within the US would do it for me. I've wanted to live there for as long as I can remember, but, sadly, it's impossible for all but the superrich to get in. I have to satisfy myself with holidays.

Deb
March 6th, 2020, 06:40 AM
I'm happy where I am, about as far north as you can go on the British mainland but I've often thought of moving to Malta. Rather warmer than here. Lots of medieval, renaissance and WWII history and not just of the touristy kind. Valetta is a post-war rebuild, for the most part, but a good one. Mdina is the real deal, a medieval walled city - not too many of them around. The local cuisine isn't outstanding but the bread, fruit, fish and vegetables are excellent.

There are things against it, too. It's very popular with gangsters. There is a tradition of shooting and eating everything that flies. The language is really challenging. But there's nowhere that doesn't have some problems.

jar
March 6th, 2020, 06:46 AM
Happy where I am but I have never found a place I wanted to leave.

catbert
March 6th, 2020, 06:47 AM
I used to think Italy — the light, the scenery, the food ... (the pens)

Now, of course, I'm not so sure.

Fregot
March 6th, 2020, 07:56 AM
I guess it is Spain. 1) great climate. 2) friendly and helpful people. 3) local real estate offers have great value for money though is not affordable actually (proof https://virtoproperty.com/property-for-sale). 4) I am a fan of FC Real Madrid so hope to be present at El Clasico. 5) one of the best European educations.

FredRydr
March 6th, 2020, 01:01 PM
Where would you move if you could?
Into the garden, but it's a bit chilly.

sgphoto
March 6th, 2020, 01:47 PM
I'm most happy where I am. I have a nice home, garden, privacy in all seasons, close (within 5 miles) to 5 grocery stores, the occasional doctor visit, and Home Depot. In fact, I really don't go out unless I have to.

I'm most content to live with my dogs, wild birds, vultures, hawks, sandhill cranes, and a beautiful night sky. I enjoy classical music, films, and absolutely no cable TV. I have a large woodworking shop, a couple of thousand books, and cast iron skillets over 100-years-old that belonged to my great-grandmother that I use several times a week.

Very little road traffic, nice neighbors, and a few friends. I have good health with BP 120/72, no health problems, new right hip, and comfortable shoes.

I feel lucky to have had good, loving parents who lived long lives, good teachers when I was young, and adversities I lived through.

And left-over homemade lasagna for tomorrow night's supper.

I couldn't ask for more.

Sg

Freddie
March 6th, 2020, 01:56 PM
For a change of pace...Perhaps a few weeks in The Duchy of Grand Fenwick....Unfortunately, at the present time there are no connecting flights.....

Fred

fqgouvea
March 6th, 2020, 02:06 PM
Someplace warmer than Maine and closer to granddaughters.

catbert
March 6th, 2020, 02:14 PM
For a change of pace...Perhaps a few weeks in The Duchy of Grand Fenwick....Unfortunately, at the present time there are no connecting flights.....

Fred

Remember when small nations with nuclear weapons seemed like a good idea? Simpler times.

Fermata
March 6th, 2020, 02:34 PM
I had a house in Englewood and loved that, I would be happy to be back in Florida but being a worrier I believe the myth when I am told that Florida will be under water by 2030 spreading north from the Keys.

I love New Zealand, great country, lovely food, superb people.

Australia was great 30 years ago but the people would put me off living there.

My great uncle had a wonderful house in Gstaad, but I dont cope well with the cold.

It has to be New Zealand please.

silverlifter
March 6th, 2020, 03:16 PM

I made the decision nearly twenty years ago. No regrets. :)

sgphoto
March 6th, 2020, 03:18 PM
I had a house in Englewood and loved that, I would be happy to be back in Florida but being a worrier I believe the myth when I am told that Florida will be under water by 2030 spreading north from the Keys.

I love New Zealand, great country, lovely food, superb people.

Australia was great 30 years ago but the people would put me off living there.

My great uncle had a wonderful house in Gstaad, but I dont cope well with the cold.

Many years ago my favorite beaches were Englewood and Venice. We would rent a house on the beach and stay a couple of weeks every year. Few things in life were better than fishing, eating at the local dives, and finding fossilized shark's teeth, horse teeth, turtle bones, and sea crocodile bones from 66 million years ago. It was quiet, never crowded, and beautiful sunsets. It was the best part of Florida.

I bet you miss it.

Sg

VertOlive
March 6th, 2020, 06:03 PM
Last October, we decided it was high time to move to a terrain that felt perfect to us, so we sold everything that same month and moved to Padre Island off the Texas coast. We came to live near the water, under the palms, in the hammock.

Life is short.

Jon Szanto
March 6th, 2020, 06:20 PM
I've lived here - San Diego, CA - since I was five. I've been a fair number of places. It seems like every time we come home, especially if we are flying back, the thought is always "that was nice, but it's hard to beat this".

Of all the world I've been most curious to see New Zealand and I feel it would be a good fit for longer term, but I'm not certain we'll be changing at this point. Everything is settled and good and beautiful, and since things will change and problems occur no matter where you live, I think I'll just sort it all out right where I am. I've reached a good point of gratitude.

jar
March 6th, 2020, 06:55 PM
I've lived here - San Diego, CA - since I was five. I've been a fair number of places. It seems like every time we come home, especially if we are flying back, the thought is always "that was nice, but it's hard to beat this".

Of all the world I've been most curious to see New Zealand and I feel it would be a good fit for longer term, but I'm not certain we'll be changing at this point. Everything is settled and good and beautiful, and since things will change and problems occur no matter where you live, I think I'll just sort it all out right where I am. I've reached a good point of gratitude.

There used to be a BBQ joint called Rusty's up in Fallbrook/Pala Mesa when it was still mostly avocados and peppers.

guyy
March 6th, 2020, 07:03 PM
I feel totally at home in Tokyo and miss it every day.

Lady Onogaro
March 6th, 2020, 07:50 PM
I would like to move back to St. Louis to be near my family and King of the Hill sandwiches.

Wile E Coyote
March 6th, 2020, 08:14 PM
The other side, where the grass is greener.

Seriously, I like it right here or else I'd leave.

VertOlive
March 6th, 2020, 08:15 PM
I would like to move back to St. Louis to be near my family and King of the Hill sandwiches.

Love St. Louis!

Chrissy
March 6th, 2020, 08:16 PM
The other side, where the grass is greener.

Seriously, I like it right here or else I'd leave.
The grass is always greener on the other side. :)

Lady Onogaro
March 6th, 2020, 08:18 PM

Love St. Louis!

I miss it more and more each year I live in Lafayette. I might take your lead sometime soon! But there are compensations in Lafayette. I'm stage managing a play here: Ken Ludwig's The Game's Afoot. :)

Empty_of_Clouds
March 6th, 2020, 08:38 PM

I made the decision nearly twenty years ago. No regrets. :)

Me too (17 yrs ago now), and also no regrets, though I miss family whom I've only visited twice in all that time. It's a beautiful place, in part because of the low population numbers. Sadly, as places around the world get worse people look to moving to nicer places, which inevitably get ruined by the influx over time. With luck I'll be dead before that happens here.

If the world was doing well, and people respected where they lived, then I would have liked to retire and spend the short remaining years in the village of Malcesine on the shores of Lago di Garda (Northern Italy). It's a place where I felt an instant peace. Under the watchful eye of Monte Baldo, with cool fresh waters of the lake to swim. Mountain walks in the spring to view the arnica and gentians, and snow all around in the winter. Just south of the Alto Adige region, which is bursting with fruit orchards and vineyards. I used to speak fluent Italian, so picking the language up again would be no problem, but there is no chance of retiring there now, what with COVID-19 and Brexit (I'm a Brit) and so on.

Jon Szanto
March 6th, 2020, 09:15 PM
The grass is always greener on the other side. :)

That's paint. The Marketing Dept. got involved...

dneal
March 7th, 2020, 06:09 AM

And Lion’s Choice roast beef, and toasted ravioli, and pork steaks, and...

Brilliant Bill
March 7th, 2020, 02:12 PM
I was never an "if you could" person. Still remember the day in seventh grade when I made the decision to do exactly what I wanted to do in life, money, circumstances, etc. be damned. Have pretty much abided by that and never regretted it. When I didn't like the work I was doing, I found work I wanted to do. When I didn't like where I lived, I went to a place I wanted to be.

If there were any other place to be, it would be...

Strawberry Fields

Nothing is real

And nothing to get hung about

Waski_the_Squirrel
March 7th, 2020, 03:08 PM
Back in college, I made the decision to go on an adventure after graduation and while I was still young and free. I wanted an adventure that wasn't typical, so I moved to North Dakota. It's now 21 years later, and I'm still there.

But I think that my retirement will take me elsewhere. Realistically, I'd like to move to New England just for the culture. I really don't fit in where I live, and it's gotten worse as I've gotten older. I'm personally conservative but politically liberal. Try being a liberal in rural North Dakota!

But if I'm fantasizing: I have not traveled to any of these places, but they seem interesting.

Uruguay: a fairly well-developed country with a good climate and a secular culture. In retirement, my money would go farther than anywhere in the US.
Finland: I love the climate, the schools are amazing, and I think I would be a good cultural fit. As a bonus, I wouldn't have to drive if I lived there. I hate driving (another strike against rural North Dakota).

There are other places, but those are the two that always come to mind when I think about it. And please don't take any of this to mean I hate where I live now. I'm just not thrilled with it like I once was. But there is still nothing like getting out away from people, and that's still pretty easy to do in North Dakota.

Jon Szanto
March 7th, 2020, 03:28 PM
There are other places, but those are the two that always come to mind when I think about it. And please don't take any of this to mean I hate where I live now. I'm just not thrilled with it like I once was. But there is still nothing like getting out away from people, and that's still pretty easy to do in North Dakota.

I still have fond memories of some of the photos you have posted from your area, including the small one-room (am I remembering correctly) church. The spaciousness of the area is very freeing but, I imagine, can be lonely as well. Anyway, I know your enjoyment of your place came through, at least at that time.

Wile E Coyote
March 7th, 2020, 08:22 PM
Lafayette also has Bread and Circus Provisions. One of the best pizza's I've ever had. This coming from a lifelong resident of the NYC area.

Radonactionservices
March 7th, 2020, 08:42 PM

I had my first experience with Lion’s Choice earlier this year. Amazing fast food. Can’t wait to visit again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INeedAFinancialAdvisor
March 8th, 2020, 12:02 AM
Vermont. The most beautiful and peaceful place I've ever been, tied with standing on the beach on Cape Cod.

But since that requires a change of nation, and that's not an easy or affordable option; Vancouver Island is looking pretty good. I want mountains, and ocean. Vancouver Island is looking like the only place I can realistically have both.

countrydirt
March 8th, 2020, 08:07 AM
I've lived in Colorado for 52 of my 56 years on this planet. We live about 60 miles from where I grew up. I can honestly say that as I've gotten older, I like Colorado even more. Sure, it seems to have a overwhelming number of legal marijuana shops and grow facilities and I don't partake of that, but as I look around at the number of liquor stores and bars (I don't partake of that either), both here and wherever I've traveled, I guess I don't see much of a difference. Take that for however you want to.

Our little city of 150,000 is a blue collar place. We still have an operating steel mill, a thriving manufacturing culture and are positioned just about 2 hours from Denver. Close enough that we can go there if we want, but far enough away to not have to! We live about 6 miles from the city in a 40-50 year old development, so can be in town quickly for what ever we need, but again, far enough away that we aren't in the middle of it. I can see alfalfa and corn fields from my window and am soon adding a couple of beehives to our yard.

I like our cultural blend in our city with around 50% Hispanic population (many tracing back to Native American from 300+ years ago), around 30% Italian or Eastern Europe groups who immigrated during the last century. The rest of us are mutts. The cultural mishmash brings out interesting food and entertainment options. The Groupo Folklorico is a local dance troup with Hispanic & Native American dances, the Tamburitzas are a Slovenian/Ukrainian dance group. We are the home to Solar Roast Coffee and the birthplace of the finest meal ever - the Green Chili Slopper. While our neighbors to the south in New Mexico may claim to have the best green chilis, those of us here, know that Pueblo Green Chilis are actually the best.

I know I sound like a commercial for the Chamber of Commerce, but I love our area and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Deb
March 8th, 2020, 08:23 AM
I was born and bred in Caithness, the northernmost county of Scotland. I couldn't wait to get out into the (supposedly) more sophisticated world elsewhere and I left at 15. I lived in many places and, as someone said earlier, I was never in any place I was anxious to get out of. Three years ago a concatenation of circumstances enforced a return to Caithness. I never really yearned to return to the county of my birth but now I'm here, living among the familiar places and hearing the inimitable accent all around, I realise I did want to be here, at some level, all along. Seems I moved to where I wanted to be.

Gordon, using Deb's account when she wasn't looking.

Fermata
March 8th, 2020, 09:30 AM
I was born and bred in Caithness, the northernmost county of Scotland. I couldn't wait to get out into the (supposedly) more sophisticated world elsewhere and I left at 15. I lived in many places and, as someone said earlier, I was never in any place I was anxious to get out of. Three years ago a concatenation of circumstances enforced a return to Caithness. I never really yearned to return to the county of my birth but now I'm here, living among the familiar places and hearing the inimitable accent all around, I realise I did want to be here, at some level, all along. Seems I moved to where I wanted to be.

I am wondering if I bought a Waterman from you about 12 years ago, did you have a letterheading with a Border Collie on it?

Deb
March 8th, 2020, 09:35 AM

I am wondering if I bought a Waterman from you about 12 years ago, did you have a letterheading with a Border Collie on it?

Allowing for the vagueness of my memory, I don't think so, though it isn't impossible. I hope it's a good Waterman anyway.

Fermata
March 8th, 2020, 09:53 AM

Allowing for the vagueness of my memory, I don't think so, though it isn't impossible. I hope it's a good Waterman anyway.

It was a 501 in pale grey, perfect nib, one of the many that I wish I still owned. Pale grey pens struggle in the glamour department but it remained a good 'un. The only thing I recall about the purchase was that the seller lived in your part of the world and sent a letter with with pen saying that they hoped I liked the pen, the letter had a Border Collie on the top.

Deb
March 8th, 2020, 10:31 AM
It might have been. 12 years ago we were considering setting up a pen business and we didn't use the headed paper then that we do now. 12 years ago is the dim and foggy past, to me.

I like pale grey pens if the colour is good. Both Parker and Swan grey pens are subject to yellowing which makes them unlovely but a good grey 1950s Swan or Parker Victory is a very nice pen indeed. The 501 grey is a different plastic and doesn't seem to suffer from discolouring.

Waski_the_Squirrel
March 8th, 2020, 04:30 PM
I still have fond memories of some of the photos you have posted from your area, including the small one-room (am I remembering correctly) church. The spaciousness of the area is very freeing but, I imagine, can be lonely as well. Anyway, I know your enjoyment of your place came through, at least at that time.

I still enjoy the scenery. It's a different kind of beauty from what I grew up with. And I love the wide-open spaces and the ability to go out and just be truly alone. I suspect I recall the exact picture you're talking about. It wasn't a one-room church, but close enough. Very small and very rural. And I do love that. I guess what has me rethinking things is that over the past few years I've felt that people are less open minded, more dogmatic, and less willing to disagree. I've lost a few friends the past few years because I preferred a different candidate for president than they did. It's not like that was a new thing, but their reaction to it was.

Of course, you have to love stuff like this:
https://photos.smugmug.com/North-Dakota/Southwest-1/i-TSqd3Nt/0/65a8cf18/L/IMG_9010-L.jpg (https://squirrelscience.smugmug.com/North-Dakota/Southwest-1/i-TSqd3Nt/A)

Lady Onogaro
March 8th, 2020, 06:04 PM

And provel cheese, don't forget.

Lady Onogaro
March 8th, 2020, 06:11 PM
Lafayette also has Bread and Circus Provisions. One of the best pizza's I've ever had. This coming from a lifelong resident of the NYC area.

Oddly enough, I've never eaten anything from there. A lot of people swear by Deano's, but I've only been there once. Some people like Pizza Village. I'd rather have an Old Tyme oyster poboy. Or broiled oysters at Josephine's in Carencro.

Lady Onogaro
March 8th, 2020, 06:13 PM

I had my first experience with Lion’s Choice earlier this year. Amazing fast food. Can’t wait to visit again.

Go to Michael's Tavern in Maplewood instead. Much more interesting food (and toasted ravioli).

85AKbN
March 9th, 2020, 10:41 PM
the grass isn't always greener... i'd stay put.

:)

Scooby921
March 10th, 2020, 10:05 AM
Anywhere within the US would do it for me. I've wanted to live there for as long as I can remember, but, sadly, it's impossible for all but the superrich to get in. I have to satisfy myself with holidays.
Referring to the cost of visa application and then potential green card / permanent resident application, or suggesting that being rich lets you work around the system? Our immigration system is broken and worthless. I won't deny that, but to the best of my knowledge it's still just a stupid lottery where you submit an application and we draw names of out a hat, regardless of whether or not the applicant is going to be a useful addition to the country. I struggle with this at work when potential new hires require sponsorship of a work visa. Intelligent people who will contribute to society and the economy, and the process is a guessing game at best. So depressing.

As for me, there are numerous place I've visited and would like to live. Germany was quite pleasant and the public transportation in Köln, Stuttgart, and Frankfurt are soooo much better than what I'm used to in metro Detroit, Michigan. Weather is similar. Geography is similar. But there is more history to explore and easier access to other countries with more history to explore. But if I had to pack up and move tomorrow I think I'd end up somewhere in the mountains of Colorado, USA. I've been out there a few times for ski trips and I would never tire of the views. As I enjoy skiing I don't mind the cold and the snow. Unfortunately there are no jobs for mechanical engineers in Colorado. I've looked, numerous times :(.

Chrissy
March 10th, 2020, 10:41 AM
Referring to the cost of visa application and then potential green card / permanent resident application, or suggesting that being rich lets you work around the system?
I'm a Brit and was referring to Brits. Brits have never been able to enter the green card lottery, so options for a green card either mean getting employed by a US Company who will get you a green card, or by buying a US Investment Visa and running your own Company. Current cost $1,000,000. Something for rich people but not a work around. Other option is to get 6 monthly visas that mean you have to keep a permanent residence in the UK and travel between both Countries every 6 months and hope your visas will be renewed.

Deb
March 10th, 2020, 11:01 AM
Referring to the cost of visa application and then potential green card / permanent resident application, or suggesting that being rich lets you work around the system?
I'm a Brit and was referring to Brits. Brits have never been able to enter the green card lottery, so options for a green card either mean getting employed by a US Company who will get you a green card, or by buying a US Investment Visa and running your own Company. Current cost $1,000,000. Something for rich people but not a work around. Other option is to get 6 monthly visas that mean you have to keep a permanent residence in the UK and travel between both Countries every 6 months and hope your visas will be renewed.

It becomes ever more expensive in both directions. I married a Scotsman and moved here in 2008. The business of obtaining a spouse visa and subsequently indefinite leave to remain was very expensive ( and stressful!) It is much, much more expensive now. In fact, I would not be able to move to Scotland today - not wealthy enough. That's what happens when nations imagine they are more important than people.

aquafox
March 10th, 2020, 11:30 AM
Rose Island.
Would've been a nice place. I don't know. The few who remember it said it was pretty cool.
Except Italian Navy tore it down for some reason.

Scooby921
March 10th, 2020, 11:59 AM
Perhaps there are some underlying words in laws which need updating now that we're no longer dumping tea in the harbor and fighting over taxes.

Deb
March 10th, 2020, 12:36 PM
dumping tea in the harbor

That's no way to make a cup of tea.

welch
March 10th, 2020, 07:21 PM
New York City. I live in NYC and have lived here for 50 years. Only city in the US with good public transportation. Ballparks, museums, concert halls, colleges and universities, good academic libraries and a good public library system. Restaurants. Music in the evenings -- in fact, many musicians looking to play wherever they can, so a lot of it is inexpensive. So may neighborhoods. Our daughter lives here. Housing is too expensive, but that's the way it is across the US anyplace that has jobs.

Paddler
March 11th, 2020, 05:17 AM
The last time I was in NYC I vowed to never return. That has been an easy vow to keep. The people are rude and the public servants are surly. Anyone willing to put up with that deserves it.

FredRydr
March 11th, 2020, 05:45 AM
New York City. I live in NYC and have lived here for 50 years. Only city in the US with good public transportation....
Wow! You need to get out of NYC more often, and visit places like Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Portland (Ore.). NYC's rail traction has been the most decrepit and poorly maintained in the US, with signaling equipment that should be in museums.

Scooby921
March 11th, 2020, 12:58 PM
New York City. I live in NYC and have lived here for 50 years. Only city in the US with good public transportation. Ballparks, museums, concert halls, colleges and universities, good academic libraries and a good public library system. Restaurants. Music in the evenings -- in fact, many musicians looking to play wherever they can, so a lot of it is inexpensive. So may neighborhoods. Our daughter lives here. Housing is too expensive, but that's the way it is across the US anyplace that has jobs.
I have to agree with Fred. You might need to get out and gain some perspective. Aside from public transportation and over-priced housing you just described Detroit. And the public transportation in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and metro D.C. are as good or better than NYC.

I don't mean this to detract from NYC. It's an amazing place and I have plenty of friends who also live there and love it. It's just that your claims appear to be based on ignorance and not fact.

Wile E Coyote
March 11th, 2020, 01:35 PM

No, but if you have enough tea, it's a great way to make a harbor of tea.

Wile E Coyote
March 11th, 2020, 01:36 PM
New York City. I live in NYC and have lived here for 50 years. Only city in the US with good public transportation....
Wow! You need to get out of NYC more often, and visit places like Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Portland (Ore.). NYC's rail traction has been the most decrepit and poorly maintained in the US, with signaling equipment that should be in museums.

Fred, come on up to Boston and take the T sometime. Makes NJ transit seem like a limousine service.

catbert
March 11th, 2020, 01:42 PM

No, but if you have enough tea, it's a great way to make a harbor of tea.

Only if you like salty tea. (https://www.eater.com/2016/8/25/12624068/butter-coffee-tea-tibet-yak) (Going to need yak butter.)

AzJon
March 11th, 2020, 04:51 PM
I know where I would go. I would go back to Konstanz, Germany. I did my study abroad there and wish I could travel there whenever the whim takes me.

It's a good sized, but small town on the southern German boarder with Switzerland. The lake is fed by alpine runoff and it marks the Km 0 of the Rhine. On clear days you can see the alps looking down on the city from the horizon and in summer the surrounding agricultural areas are abundant with fresh fruit and vegetables.

A long stretch from my upbringing in northern Arizona.

I broke off a piece of my heart there and buried it near the river. I have the location marked where, when I die, I want someone, anyone really, to take my ashes to a certain spot on the river and sprinkle me into it that I may never leave it again.

FredRydr
March 11th, 2020, 06:13 PM
Fred, come on up to Boston and take the T sometime. Makes NJ transit seem like a limousine service.I used the T regularly several years ago. I don't know NJ transit except looking at it from Amtrak windows heading north from Trenton to Penn Station (the latter being another example of awful NYC transport decisions).

CXC
March 13th, 2020, 02:56 PM
Sweden, in a heartbeat.

calamus
March 13th, 2020, 03:56 PM
I've often thought that I'd like to live in New Zealand, but I'm pretty well settled in here in rural Northern California, and don't really want to uproot myself and start all over again somewhere else. There's a lot about California that I don't like, such as the high taxes, oppressive state government policies, and omnipresence of glorious people's revolutionary political correctness, but much of the land is absolutely gorgeous. Here is a photo of a beach not far from where I live (I used to live within close walking distance of it, but have moved a few miles away since):

https://i.imgur.com/4ZHYMou.jpg

Empty_of_Clouds
March 13th, 2020, 04:05 PM
In New Zealand you're never more than 74 miles from the coast. As you may imagine, in the South Island which has mountain ranges, you will often be within visual distance of both sea and mountains. It is possible to ski in the morning and surf the afternoon! The landscape here is dramatic and incredibly beautiful. There are no dangerous animals - though we do have a the katipo (a relative of the black widow) but they are rare and you are unlikely to come across one. However, as wonderful as the landscape is, hiking in it requires knowledge and good outdoor skills, as the conditions can change quickly - especially the river levels. We do have fantastic SAR teams though, if you do get into grief.

This is where I live (more or less where the white dot is) at the beginning of the 20km long Otago Peninsula.

https://i.imgur.com/mxPsLm4l.png

You can cycle trails on the peninsula like this.

https://i.imgur.com/LuXGMQxl.jpg

And I work at this University.

https://i.imgur.com/ZLxvEaMl.jpg

TSherbs
March 14th, 2020, 09:58 PM
I don't know. I hardly ever dream like this. I'm quite content and often don't look past the trees in my yard or the vegetables in my garden. I'm kinda done with shoveling and raking, though. Both seem endless activities here in Maine.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Sagebrush64
March 31st, 2020, 10:43 PM
Japan! Probably down on Kyushu as it is a bit warmer during the winter months.

ethernautrix
April 1st, 2020, 08:42 AM
Thing is... grass is everywhere! Or everywhere enough.

I LOVED New York when I lived there 20 years ago. As soon as I emerged from Penn Station, I felt New York embrace me and whisper "Welcome home," and I said back, "I love you, too. Don't tell San Francisco."

I loved the energy -- so alive and filled with stories!

Maybe cos I'm older and not at all affluent, hahaha, I can't imagine living there. I've become, um, crowd-averse, long before COVID-19. Wrocław is the perfect size, the population of residential San Francisco (not commuter/worker San Francisco) but in a much bigger space. Only one skyscraper here, which acts as a beacon when I'm out riding my bicycle outside the city.

I love this city's history and the architecture (from the turn of the 19th century; not so much the current trend of shoeboxes, nor the style of the building where I live, the Efficient, Soul-Crushing Red-Army Troops of Rectangles). This is a university city and a tech hub. LG has headquarters here, which means a large Korean community, which means Korean grocery stores (not many), which means some Asian food products, thank gawd, hahaha. Weirdly, there have been waves of food trends, from burgers (beginning with the food-truck Pasibus) to pizza to... sushi. I'd have expected more Korean grill joints, but okay.

I love the parks and boulevards and bike paths. I love the cultural offerings, even if I take them for granted (too busy riding my bike all around, hahaha) -- and, of course, now, all of that is shut down. Museums and such, closed for a couple of weeks already; parks and boulevards and places where people tend to congregate on a beautiful day... now, all verboten, zakazane, zabrione, forbidden, with fines from 5000 zł up to 30,000 zł.

But it's a still a beautiful city. Since I expect the bans to be in effect for longer than two weeks, a month, maybe even 'til the end of May (optimistically, but it might go longer), maybe I'll finally get around to the tens of thousands of photos I've taken and the stories I've squirrelled away and finally start putting them all together. Or keep shredding my notebooks. (Laughs.)

John Macmillan
April 15th, 2020, 02:23 PM
Hard question! If I was asked a few years ago I would certainly pick the USA. But under new circumstances I clearly see that America is not perfect at all. So I guess I would choose to stay somewhere in Europe. I guess my pick would be Spain eventually. I am living in Wales and not long ago stumbled upon a very interesting article about moving to Spain https://virtoproperty.com/info/moving-to-spain-after-brexit, its pros and cons (about banking, visa requirements, finding a job, bringing a pet to the country etc.) So now I can surely say that my choice is Spain! :crazy_pilot:

mhosea
April 15th, 2020, 03:55 PM
I spent a summer during grad school interning at Sandia National Labs in Albuquerque. When we visited Santa Fe, I really thought I would like to live there. I wouldn't take that too seriously, since we haven't even been back in the intervening 28 years, but I don't recall feeling that way about anywhere else I've ever visited. OTOH, when a senior colleague of mine semi-retired from where I work, he moved to Santa Fe, and I'm sure he could have moved anywhere he wanted.

guyy
April 15th, 2020, 05:29 PM
Thing is... grass is everywhere! Or everywhere enough.

I LOVED New York when I lived there 20 years ago. As soon as I emerged from Penn Station, I felt New York embrace me and whisper "Welcome home," and I said back, "I love you, too. Don't tell San Francisco."

I loved the energy -- so alive and filled with stories!

This is a great description of New York. Thanks for sharing it.

The city seems to play favourites. It never whispered in my ear. Some of those stories are pretty horrific, with no happy ending and no redemption. No one learns from them, either. (Seinfeld had that right.) And there are so many of the bad stories now.

Tiwi
August 12th, 2020, 03:35 AM
I'm dreaming about moving to Europe. Last year I went to Prague and I fell in love with it. For me it's a perfect mixture of history and modern life. And of course I like the weather, winter is not too cold, perfect fall and spring, summer is fine (I just don't like hot weather).

azkid
August 12th, 2020, 12:57 PM
I've not visited too many places. Of those I think I would love living in Rome. Being surrounded by ancient ruins and all the beauty must make for better quality of living. I'm sure I would love other places in Europe too. Vienna seemed great. We need to travel more.

FredRydr
August 12th, 2020, 01:09 PM
...We need to travel more.
Yes, but put that thought on hold pending an effective vaccine.

An old bloke
August 13th, 2020, 01:59 PM
My home and most of my family most of my family are in Sydney, but I also have family in Goulburn. It's quieter. I'm staying where I am, but Goulburn would be the first choice.

agrissol
August 22nd, 2020, 03:07 AM
I don't know if I'm ready to move....

TFarnon
August 31st, 2020, 09:35 AM
If I didn't have the respiratory allergies that plague me in damper (as in damper than high desert) climates, I would move to Yorkshire in the UK. I think it's beautiful there. Another possible place would be Aarhus, Denmark. That's where my maternal grandfather's ancestors were from, and I know I could find employment in the hospital there. Yes, I know it's cold and grey there. After decades in a sunny high-altitude desert, I would love to see grey skies. Or perhaps somewhere in Belgium, Luxemburg or rural Germany. Okay, pretty much anywhere in Northern Europe or the UK, as long as it's not too large of a city (London itself is right out) would suit me. Well, except for the breathing as I mentioned first. I like breathing.

An old bloke
August 31st, 2020, 04:38 PM
'I like breathing.'
There's a lot to be said for breathing. I'm quite in favour of it myself -- been doing it for years now.

Fregot
December 12th, 2020, 05:16 PM
I'm dreaming about moving to Europe. Last year I went to Prague and I fell in love with it. For me it's a perfect mixture of history and modern life. And of course I like the weather, winter is not too cold, perfect fall and spring, summer is fine (I just don't like hot weather).

Unlike you winter is my favourite season so I like when it is cold, extremely cold. Perfect place is the North Pole ( I happened to be there last year thanks to poseidonexpeditions.com/ (https://poseidonexpeditions.com/).

kaliuzhkin
December 12th, 2020, 06:38 PM
New Orleans. (If money were no object.)

I had the privilege of visiting New Orleans during the Mardi Gras in 1990. My ex's employer required she participate in a training session in New Orleans then. Starting from the time I boarded the plane going there, there was a sense of FUN. :)

By law, bars in New York State must close by 1:00 or 2:00 (I'm not sure); in New York City they must close by 4:00. In New Orleans they never close.
Imagine Muzak, elevator music being replaced by jazz. :music:

I wish.

pajaro
December 17th, 2020, 12:27 AM
Back to Florida, gulf coast.

Lady Onogaro
December 17th, 2020, 10:35 PM
Away from the Gulf Coast (I'm tired of hurricanes here in Louisiana and the costs of cleaning up after them). I'd like to go back to St. Louis where my family is located.

MHBRU
December 17th, 2020, 10:49 PM
Years ago, I answered a similar question and I'm sticking with my answer from then. Anywhere with money no object? A large, sea fairing, private yacht (with full crew, of course). Circling the globe...

bebox
December 18th, 2020, 03:40 AM
What a lovely thread, thanks for sharing, y'all.

I'm partial for cold weather myself. Lived too long in a tropical metropolis, I guess :)
I'd move to northern Norway.
At the end of a nice Fjord close to Tromsö or maybe in the Lofoten.

Only downside is the lack of nice fountain pen shops in the neighbourhood.
But online shopping will do just fine.

Chrissy
December 18th, 2020, 04:30 AM
I was considering whether Donald might award me a free Green Card if I wrote to him? Just in case he either can't find enough people to pardon or wants to branch out and do something different? ;)

Zoe
December 18th, 2020, 11:44 AM
Very late to the party, Amsterdam, where I lived moons ago, and in the States, Brera, Ky or Brattleboro, Vt.

Roe D Hym
December 31st, 2020, 10:59 AM
Yakutsk would be on my list--as long as I had a cord of wood a day to burn. There is something interesting about living in the coldest city in the world and still having the amenities of a large city. Well maybe living there half the year as the winters are beyond brutal.

Chrissy, if you are interested in living in the USA I would recommend Flynt Michigan. Houses can be purchased for almost next to nothing. Better bring a life time of bottled water though as the water supply is contaminated with lead.

Pendragon
January 1st, 2021, 06:09 PM
Mt. Shasta, California
There is hunting, fishing, hiking, camping and four wheeling. Best of all, the people are really friendly and laid back, like they used to be all over California 40 years ago.

Since a video is worth a million words, here are two additional reasons:
https://youtu.be/bYP6lVZ9lAk
https://youtu.be/mVZ7f3F_nsM

Pendragon
January 1st, 2021, 06:31 PM
I was considering whether Donald might award me a free Green Card if I wrote to him? Just in case he either can't find enough people to pardon or wants to branch out and do something different? ;)

He might. The same goes for Joe.

If you really do want to come to the US, why not get a job at a UK company with a US branch? Numerous coworkers at a previous company transferred out here, and said it was easier than coming to the US by other means. The company deals with the paperwork and you have a job when you hit US shores. We might have two deranged political parties, but we also have no television tax and gasoline is 50p / litre or less. Often a lot less.

Chrissy
January 1st, 2021, 11:06 PM

He might. The same goes for Joe.

If you really do want to come to the US, why not get a job at a UK company with a US branch? Numerous coworkers at a previous company transferred out here, and said it was easier than coming to the US by other means. The company deals with the paperwork and you have a job when you hit US shores. We might have two deranged political parties, but we also have no television tax and gasoline is 50p / litre or less. Often a lot less.
I don't really want/need a job as we're both retired and are enjoying life with good private pensions. Given a straight choice of selling our house here and moving to the US we would do that. Although a Green Card is technically for a working person to live and work in the US, it's the only way to own one property and live there. The alternative of being required to own two homes and travelling to the UK and back every 6 months on a visa is unattractive.

Hazaddum
January 14th, 2021, 11:00 PM
I'm dreaming about moving to Europe. Last year I went to Murcia, Spain and I fell in love with that (https://virtoproperty.com/property-for-sale/costa-calida/murcia/murcia-area). For me it's a perfect mixture of history and modern life. And of course I like the weather, winter is not too cold, perfect fall and spring, summer is great A friend of mine is currently living there. He moved from Denmark which is not compatible for warm-weather lovers :)

MikeWill07
January 19th, 2021, 05:37 AM
I would move to Geneva and live near a lake. Clean air and a measured routine - there's nothing better

Fermata
January 19th, 2021, 06:04 AM
Tonga.

I was there a few years ago, walking down the main street late afternoon, I was thirsty and looking for somewhere that might sell a cold drink. I saw a store at the end of the road with a verandah and tables, I went insode, it turned out to be a pharmacy. I asked if they had anything to drink, the pharmacist said, go and sit down, I will bring something out. He brought some coconut milk and sat down with me. I asked why there were so many people around. The pharmacist, about 6'6" and wearing a white skirt, told me that when the coconut crop is gathered in we take it easy. he went on, 'I took my exams in New Zealand, do you know that there are people in New Zealand who go to work 9-5 for five days a week, every week, incredible.

Sounds good to me.

Nonageek
February 1st, 2021, 08:49 AM
If I could choose any place on the earth to move and settle down, I really can't name something specific, I want to travel the world first, know other cultures more closely. Want to travel on a yacht like https://ragnaryacht.com/

Skwerlmasta
February 1st, 2021, 09:24 AM
Spent a year on St. Croix. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could. Beaches are just as beautiful as the other US Virgin Islands but it doesn't get as crowded in the tourist season.
Beautiful place.

TSherbs
February 2nd, 2021, 08:31 AM
Right now? Into any condo where I don't have to shovel snow.

Lockdayl
February 22nd, 2021, 06:50 AM
If anything, you can familiarize yourself with the places and directions for moving in the blog (https://merbrands.com/blog/) of the new website of the Merbrands. The travel section contains very interesting articles. I recommend!!!

Jiklon
July 26th, 2021, 03:28 PM
Yakutsk would be on my list--as long as I had a cord of wood a day to burn. There is something interesting about living in the coldest city in the world and still having the amenities of a large city. Well maybe living there half the year as the winters are beyond brutal. Also I would put St Petersburg to the list. I had a great opportunity to travel there last autumn via Vodohod (https://vodohod-cruises.com/cruises/itineraries/volga_river_moscow_to_st_petersburg/). The whole trip made an indelible impression on me!

Chrissy, if you are interested in living in the USA I would recommend Flynt Michigan. Houses can be purchased for almost next to nothing. Better bring a life time of bottled water though as the water supply is contaminated with lead.

I heard something about Yakutsk from a friend of mine who lived there for a month or so. I guess it would really be interesting to live there for some time but not for a long period. Say, a week would be more than enough :)

Detman101
July 26th, 2021, 07:52 PM
As an American I feel universally hated worldwide, but if I could find peace and stability and live anywhere...
Africa.

guyy
July 26th, 2021, 08:46 PM
As an American I feel universally hated worldwide, but if I could find peace and stability and live anywhere...
Africa.

People may hate America in the abstract, but they doesn't mean they'll hate you.

I had the good fortune to meet Nagahara Nobuyoshi (the elder Nagahara), Sailor's nib meister par excellence. He asked me where i was from and i said America. He told me "I should hate you. You know, i was in Hiroshima that day." But he didn't hate me. We chatted and joked around and discussed pens.

Detman101
July 27th, 2021, 01:32 PM
Africa.

People may hate America in the abstract, but they doesn't mean they'll hate you.

I had the good fortune to meet Nagahara Nobuyoshi (the elder Nagahara), Sailor's nib meister par excellence. He asked me where i was from and i said America. He told me "I should hate you. You know, i was in Hiroshima that day." But he didn't hate me. We chatted and joked around and discussed pens.

Wow...a real survivor of nuclear disaster...that's amazing!!
:o

You are correct. I've traveled a bit and while people did not like Americas policies or involvement in world affairs...they were ultimately very kind to me.
However, I was simply traveling for work and ultimately going to leave to come back home to the USA.
Moving permanently to another country would be something completely different and bears much more consideration than just traveling/visiting abroad.

Empty_of_Clouds
July 27th, 2021, 02:02 PM
I moved to another country. How much consideration is required depends on the degree of difference between where you are and where you are going. Principally it will be language, then culture or climate, then anything else. In my view, it's just moving house, only a bit further. Going from UK to New Zealand wasn't a big deal in terms of adaptation. The draw was mainly to do with fewer people and a better environment (in my opinion). It has its drawbacks - not the best-serviced country for goods, a bit geographically isolated despite air travel being relatively cheap - but the pros outweighed the cons for me 18 years ago and still do, though I cannot say with any confidence that this will always be the case.

Bottom line? If you see such a move as a positive opportunity you should just go for it. Better than a lifetime of regretting not doing stuff.

Chip
July 30th, 2021, 08:02 PM
We lived on Lyttelton Harbour, south of Christchurch, and also in Grafton, Auckland next to the Domain. On our excursions, we visited almost the whole country apart from the far south: Invercargill, Stewart Island.

I liked the people and the civil culture (good public transport, lots of public toilets, active arts and cultural scene, brilliant food and wine. The sailing is incredible. Likewise the fishing. It's not as clean and green as I expected, what with the timbering, dairying, sheep farming and the export trade they drive. I'm married to a biologist/enviromental law prof and she kept me well informed.

As far as places to live, I'd be keen on Napier and Hawkes Bay. Also Russell and the Bay of Islands. Some friends have a place, a stomped-out cow farm near Whangarei Heads, that they're restoring as a nature reserve. Around Keri-Keri is also pleasant.

But the prices of property and houses have gone mad. Quite a few rich folks around the world see it as a refuge from global catastrophe (which they have no small part in causing). So I'll stay put, I reckon.

adhoc
August 2nd, 2021, 06:30 AM
Probably Switzerland, because it's exactly like Slovenia (also alpine country, very clean, lowest crime rates, etc.), except richer. Alternatively, New Zealand for the nature. I would also be fine with Norway or Scotland.

Boston Brian
August 5th, 2021, 08:58 AM
Killarney, Ireland would be very nice!

Chip
August 6th, 2021, 11:27 PM
Killarney is grand, but I'd sooner live in or near Dingle Town.

https://i.imgur.com/kNFfV0o.jpg

I've a particular fancy for Goat Street in the upper town.

TSherbs
August 7th, 2021, 05:57 AM
If a place doesn't have good coffee, I'm not interested. ;)

I haven't travelled out of the country (US) in 30 years, but I do hope to again. It's on the bucket list.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

adhoc
August 7th, 2021, 06:02 AM
What do you consider good coffee? In my language, we would call american coffee "as if a dog would dip his dirty balls in water". Pardon the vulgarity, but it really does look like a little muddy water without any flavour. Although my experience with american coffee is limited to Starbucks, I felt like I paid 6€ for some boiled dirty water.

TSherbs
August 7th, 2021, 07:47 AM
What do you consider good coffee?

Fair enough.

Amend it to read "coffee that I like a hell of a lot and helps me get up and get out of the house."

To each their own!

guyy
August 7th, 2021, 01:31 PM
What do you consider good coffee? In my language, we would call american coffee "as if a dog would dip his dirty balls in water". Pardon the vulgarity, but it really does look like a little muddy water without any flavour. Although my experience with american coffee is limited to Starbucks, I felt like I paid 6€ for some boiled dirty water.

There is good coffee in America, but you have to know where to go. I bicycle over to the next neighborhood to go to a place that serves coffee pretty much like you’d get at a decent cafe in Italy. You can order in Italian, most of the patrons are speaking Italian and there’s Italian TV on.

Chip
August 8th, 2021, 12:47 PM
When I order coffee out, it's usually an Americano: double espresso topped with hot water. In New Zealand they call it a Long Black.

After going through a series of low to mid-price espresso machines, we settled on the AeroPress. No cord, no fuss, makes brilliant coffee. We reuse the paper filters 6-8 times each.

https://i.imgur.com/4xkDB6l.jpg

It can go camping or on the road. Love it!

Chip
August 8th, 2021, 12:56 PM
As far as places I wouldn't move to, I'd say Newfoundland is near the top. We spent a few weeks there in summer and the weather was beastly. Everywhere we went, the locals would say: Oh well— it'll be fine tomorrow, but it almost never was. We had quite a few boat trips cancelled. The coasts are grand, but the interior was mostly soggy boreal muskeg, with billions of stunted conifers and bottomless bogs. If you like fish and chips almost every day of the week, you'll love it. But I ordered a fish taco in an upmarket place and the fish was battered and deep-fried. Bloody Hell!

We drove to Cape Spear, famous for long views, and could barely make out the lighthouse.

https://i.imgur.com/CUYZuxI.jpg

The foghorns were entertaining.

adhoc
August 8th, 2021, 01:04 PM
When I order coffee out, it's usually an Americano: double espresso topped with hot water. In New Zealand they call it a Long Black.

After going through a series of low to mid-price espresso machines, we settled on the AeroPress. No cord, no fuss, makes brilliant coffee. We reuse the paper filters 6-8 times each.

https://i.imgur.com/4xkDB6l.jpg

It can go camping or on the road. Love it!

Anything not made in what we call "džezva" is not strong enough for me, honestly. It's origin is from Turkey and allows you great flexibility on what kind of coffee strength you want; depending on which coffee beans you buy, how much you put in, how long you cook it, etc.

https://emo-shop.com/280-tm_thickbox_default/rdeca-dzezva-s-pikami-04l.jpg

This is pretty typically for us; red or blue with white spots. Turkish design are typically less restrainted, let's say.

Chip
August 8th, 2021, 01:10 PM
A friend gave me one of those, along with instructions for making Arab coffee. Very thick. With cardamom.

adhoc
August 8th, 2021, 01:16 PM
It's really simple, you boil water in it, add the amount of coffee you want, and then further cook it for the amount of time depending how strong you want it; the longer the time, the stronger. I don't add cardamom, but it sounds good.

Empty_of_Clouds
August 8th, 2021, 01:27 PM
A friend gave me one of those, along with instructions for making Arab coffee. Very thick. With cardamom.

Indeed. In 2007 I spent some time in the deserts of southern Jordan. Coffee with cardamom was a local favourite. Frankly it was all a bit lost on me as coffee really isn't my thing (I'll drink the cheapest instant and think it's okay). New Zealand's claim to coffee fame is that the flat white was invented here. And apparently there are more coffee houses per capita in Wellington than in New York!

TSherbs
August 8th, 2021, 02:09 PM
I am the one who first mentioned coffee here. I apologize for bumping this thread off course!

adhoc
August 8th, 2021, 02:50 PM
This is the lounge, so I think it's perfectly acceptable.

An old bloke
August 8th, 2021, 04:51 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3c/33/1b/3c331bc34ccf552bdd098ff5eb49e69c.jpg

Empty_of_Clouds
August 8th, 2021, 04:54 PM
Coffee in the lounge? I have no problem with that. And, to move slightly back to topic, I would welcome a move to the lounge right about now! :)

Bold2013
August 9th, 2021, 05:06 PM
My place would be rural Poland.

Chip you should looking into a fellow attachment for the aero press or metal filters.

Chip
August 9th, 2021, 06:55 PM
Chip you should looking into a fellow attachment for the aero press or metal filters.

I'm not getting this. The AeroPress came with enough paper filters to last a year or more. At that point, I might look for a metal screen.

Judy Charlton
October 10th, 2021, 01:03 PM
My place would be stunning Antarctica.

Last Christmas I spent in Antarctica via Poseidon. I must admit that this (https://poseidonexpeditions.com/antarctica/antarctic-peninsula-new-year-christmas-in-antarctica/) trip met all my expectations. Awesome service, unforgettable emotions :big_boss:

I would go to Cadiz in Spain. I watched several vids on youtube about this city. It is magnificent. Also I was relieved to find out that still very few tourists go there preferring places like Madrid and Barcelona.

Chip
October 12th, 2021, 10:38 PM
Cadiz looks intriguing. Founded by the Phoenicians as a port, and later, home base to the Spanish Fleet. Lots of old buildings, probably Moorish architecture, and a large waterfront. Good sailing, no doubt, and brilliant seafood. Just a quick deco makes me want to go there. In the cooler part of the year.

If money (and the unquantifiable bond one feels to a birthplace) weren't issues, I'd move to Russell in the Bay of Islands, New Zealand. Lived a year in New Zealand and have gone back several times since, so my feelings for the place have been tested. It was an early colonial outpost, with a sheltered anchorage, and a long growing season. The intricate coastline and many islands offer wonderful sailing, fishing, and cruising.

https://i.imgur.com/wtfV734.jpg

The town is rather small— one can walk from end to end in an easy half-hour, passing galleries, small shops, and a huge array of places to eat. The waterfront promenade has lots of wood gingerbread structures, two or three storeys, and ancient trees, like this Port Moreton fig (from Ausralia):

https://i.imgur.com/f2digOJ.jpg

There are quite a few small market gardens, fruit orchards, oyster and mussel farms, and excellent wineries with restaurants, such as the Omata Estate:

https://i.imgur.com/HcnQz93.jpg

It's nice to dream about, but I'll most likely die in the frigid, windblasted (and rather magnificent) terrain of my birth.

KrazyIvan
October 13th, 2021, 10:35 AM
Ruidoso, NM. Here is a webcam live view: https://www.ruidoso.net/visitor-information/sierra-blanca-mountains-webcam

It's a PTZ cam so sometimes they move it around.

MHBRU
October 18th, 2021, 10:38 AM
I have lived in Southern California for over 30 years and it's hard to beat. I don't think I would move to anywhere else but having a small place that i could go to for perhaps months at a time would be nice... London and Prague would be on the list. We haven't traveled to Asia yet but suspect there are a few places there, too. Since we speak no other languages but English that would be a controlling factor.

John Macmillan
November 11th, 2021, 02:21 PM
I have lived in Southern California for over 30 years and it's hard to beat. I don't think I would move to anywhere else but having a small place that i could go to for perhaps months at a time would be nice... London and Prague would be on the list. We haven't travelled to Russia yet but suspect there (https://vodohod-cruises.com) are a few places there, too. Since we speak no other languages but English that would be a controlling factor.
It is much too noisy in London, the weather gloomy almost all the time, too cold outside even in summer.

I would pick Spain or Italy.

Harpooner
November 12th, 2022, 07:29 AM
Have you ever visited Naples in person? There is rubbish on the streets, public transportation is essentially nonexistent, the Camorra controls with https://sekamoving.com/locations/queens-movers/ a large portion of the city, and the traffic is chaotic and similar to that of India but with more aggressive drivers (in the past 3 years, there have been several instances where trash accumulated on the streets reached windows of the second floor of buildings). In addition, it has one of Italy's highest crime rates, is one of the most polluted cities, and is located right near a volcano.

omulmeu
February 14th, 2023, 03:44 AM
No, I've never visited Naples in person.

Famulenu
February 14th, 2023, 03:46 AM
If I could move anywhere, I'd love to explore the beaches of the Caribbean! But since I'm currently Westminster based (https://getmanandvan.co.uk/westminster-sw1-w1/), I can definitely say that I've had great experiences with commercial man and van removals here. They are efficient, reliable, and always make sure my belongings are handled with care. So, whether you're moving within Westminster or to a different city, these removals make it a smooth and stress-free experience.

Robalone
February 14th, 2023, 05:54 AM
Vancouver island …….for sher. 👍🏻

karmachanic
February 14th, 2023, 09:38 AM
Interesting. The places some wish to move to, others have moved from.

k5MOW
February 14th, 2023, 01:07 PM
To San Francisco

Roger

joolstacho
February 14th, 2023, 02:50 PM
Wye River, Vic.

Jon Szanto
February 14th, 2023, 03:10 PM
I just moved 1.5" to the left.

Lloyd
February 14th, 2023, 10:37 PM
I just moved 1.5" to the left.
You must be exhausted. I hope you packed a snack.

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™

TSherbs
February 17th, 2023, 06:07 AM
This is a great thread to re-read.

RobJohnson
February 17th, 2023, 06:42 AM
I wish I knew. I am 70 next month and the idea of moving house to anywhere just fills me with dread.

I have been to most countries and really liked New Zealand and northern Italy, Australia not so much. Germany, France and most of Europe all had their good points, Singapore was superb but I like seasons, Singapore was constant, the South Pacific islands were perfect, California was enjoyable, I would like to to go back there, Dubai, UAE were fascinating but I would be a pauper compared to everyone else, also not that much in the way of personality or history, the place I mean , not me. Jamaica was interesting, huge history but Scarey, Florida had some huge plus points but a teensy bit dull and I bought into the speculation that it wouldn't take much in the way of rising sea levels for the entire state to be under water.

Switzerland was wonderful, cannot find anything bad to say apart from everyone seemed to be a smoker including smoking in restaurants and bars.

Perhaps it is easier to pick out the countries where the verdict would be 'never again', that would be Russia, China, in fact most of Asia.

MKeith
February 17th, 2023, 06:27 PM
The Highlands of Scotland. Was there on '99 and fell in love with it.

forshyking
February 20th, 2023, 01:22 PM
If I could move anywhere, I'd probably choose a cozy little cottage in the English countryside. But let's be real, moving is a big undertaking and I definitely wouldn't want to do it alone. Have you looked into any moving services in NJ state (https://acelinemoving.com) to help make your dream move a reality? They can be a huge help in making the process smoother and less stressful. Happy moving!

FredRydr
February 20th, 2023, 03:20 PM
If you had to choose any place in the world to move there for permanent residence what would your choice be? Give your reasons please....
Only if I can bring a couple pens, my motorcycle and a friend:

Reason? No internet.

CrayonAngelss
February 20th, 2023, 03:44 PM
Gimme a brick ranch house (like my grandparent's) in the country with a rope swing, fire pit and a trampoline in the backyard and I'll never ask for anything else.

countrydirt
February 20th, 2023, 08:20 PM
I kinda like where I am at.

Lloyd
February 20th, 2023, 09:32 PM
I kinda like where I am at.
Can I visit?

Vagatasa
March 15th, 2023, 09:12 AM
Due to certain circumstances I had to move from London to my parents for a while, I tried not to take a lot of things with me, but they were still quite a lot. So I used the services of home removal cost (https://rslmanandvan.co.uk/services/home-removals/). This company was recommended to me by my neighbors, who lived in the same house with me. For not much money, these guys helped me, and I am very grateful to them for that.

Vagatasa
March 22nd, 2023, 01:22 AM
Hello, if you need from san francisco to seattle movers (https://californiamoversusa.com/moving-services/long-distance-moving/state-to-state-movers/moving-from-san-francisco-to-seattle/) for your relocation, then I can only recommend a worthy company californiamoversusa.com the best in the business a huge number of positive reviews, We deliver your items or equipment from home at the appointed time, I can safely recommend you this company, as myself personally used their services not once.

Chip
March 23rd, 2023, 12:54 PM
ADMIN: Why is this crap still here?

Wake up!

Lloyd
March 23rd, 2023, 06:25 PM

Wake up!
Is this effective?

TSherbs
March 24th, 2023, 06:22 AM

Wake up!
Is this effective?

Yep. I heard it from here.

Lloyd
March 24th, 2023, 01:38 PM

Wake up!
Is this effective?

Are you using Chip as your alarm clock? I guess you don't need to get up promptly now that you're retired.

TSherbs
March 25th, 2023, 05:35 AM

Wake up!
Is this effective?

Are you using Chip as your alarm clock? I guess you don't need to get up promptly now that you're retired.

my alarm clock has a chip in it

Chip
March 25th, 2023, 05:04 PM
Both posts reported as spam several days ago.

No response. So I went public.

Still no action.

Lloyd
March 25th, 2023, 06:10 PM
Both posts reported as spam several days ago.

No response. So I went public.

Still no action.
Are you surprised by the lack of action?

Chip
March 26th, 2023, 10:46 PM
No. When there's no personal grudge involved, the petty gods are slow to act.

Chip
March 28th, 2023, 11:12 PM

Actually, there has been action. The admin buggers have screwed with my account, so I have to log in every time I try to post.

Typical.

dneal
March 29th, 2023, 04:22 PM

Actually, there has been action. The admin buggers have screwed with my account, so I have to log in every time I try to post.

Typical.

I think you misjudge your importance to the "admin buggers".

More likely you have not checked the “remember me” box, or made another cookie-related mistake.

Lloyd
March 29th, 2023, 04:29 PM

Typical.

I think you misjudge your importance to the "admin buggers".

More likely you have not checked the “remember me” box, or made another cookie-related mistake.

I've made too many cookie-related mistakes....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230329/68605a393dae01643b2cad5c33456ec8.jpg

dneal
March 29th, 2023, 05:39 PM
"...that's good enough for me."

Chip
March 29th, 2023, 10:52 PM
I've made too many cookie-related mistakes...

Chocolate Chip?

Peanut Butter?

Oreos?

Macaroons?

manoeuver
April 26th, 2023, 06:26 PM
been fantasizing about the ol' cabin in the woods societal withdrawal. after the kids are through school (10 years or so) I may be more than ready.
where should I look? Might go to Pennsylvania so I'm not too far from the ancestral homeland (jerz.)

Lloyd
April 26th, 2023, 07:22 PM
I've made too many cookie-related mistakes...

Chocolate Chip? YES

Peanut Butter? YES

Oreos? YES

Macaroons? YES

Bold2013
April 26th, 2023, 08:20 PM
been fantasizing about the ol' cabin in the woods societal withdrawal. after the kids are through school (10 years or so) I may be more than ready.
where should I look? Might go to Pennsylvania so I'm not too far from the ancestral homeland (jerz.)

Get an island. Have seen some that are affordable*

Bold2013
April 26th, 2023, 08:22 PM
For example.

https://www.landsearch.com/properties/34989-dead-isle-richville-mn-56576/1731697

Jon Szanto
April 26th, 2023, 11:14 PM
This Uninhabited Island in Scotland Is on Sale — and It's Cheaper Than an NYC Apartment (https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/uninhabited-island-scotland-sale-cheaper-175850262.html)

Jon Szanto
April 26th, 2023, 11:14 PM
Has anyone moved to adjourn?

CrayonAngelss
May 3rd, 2023, 12:11 PM

I'm a rural PA native and can't recommend it enough :)

FredRydr
May 3rd, 2023, 02:59 PM
...where should I look? Might go to Pennsylvania so I'm not too far from the ancestral homeland (jerz.)I'm a rural PA native and can't recommend it enough :)
Escape back to the analog world....

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.onlyinyourstate.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F11%2F10-22-700x466.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=98b497fcd3a1f43de32874d51a50d8485f7a896797e64b eae47aedd42075f38a&ipo=images

Carpio
May 28th, 2023, 04:24 AM
Hello,

Many years ago, whilst in the military, I went to Canada on an exercise (as many Brits do).
I had the pleasure, when we had 10 days of R&R, to visit a few places, admittedly just fleeting visits. The one place that always stuck in my mind is, Banff. I also visited Calgary (watched the rodeo), Jasper and several other places, but Banff has always stayed with me.
The waking up to fresh air and the thought of seeing a bear, maybe, or the roads which seem to be as wide as our motorways, or maybe it was the maple syrup on pancakes that I remember as if it was yesterday. Either way, I'd live their tomorrow.
My wife says she would love to live in Italy, and when she told me, I said to her, 'That's a bit of a bugger, then', she asked why, so I said, 'You may have to catch connecting flights to come visit me'. I had to go buy another rolling pin, as the one she threw at me smashed against the wall. That's women for ya. :bounce: :lol:

Carpio

WaltZucher
June 5th, 2023, 09:31 PM
I'm happy where I am, about as far north as you can go on the British mainland but I've often thought of moving to Malta. Rather warmer than here. Lots of medieval, renaissance and WWII history and not just of the touristy kind. Valetta is a post-war rebuild, for the most part, but a good one. Mdina is the real deal, a medieval walled city - not too many of them around. The local cuisine isn't outstanding but the bread, fruit, fish and vegetables are excellent.

There are things against it, too. It's very popular with gangsters. There is a tradition of shooting and eating everything that https://eldfall-chronicles.com/product-category/miniatures/. The language is really challenging. But there's nowhere that doesn't have some sportsbetting telegram (https://telegrambetting.club/telegram-sports-betting/).

Welcome to the forum! It's always nice to have new members join. Malta sounds like an interesting place. Have you ever been there? What are some of your favorite things about it?

Skwidwarf
June 14th, 2023, 08:08 AM
I get your desire for warmer weather. Spain and Turkey are excellent choices. As for me, I've always been captivated by the breathtaking landscapes and vibrant culture of New Zealand. The stunning mountains, lush greenery, and friendly locals make it my dream destination. Plus, the outdoor adventures and laid-back lifestyle are a big draw. But in reality, I'm moving just to another state; the Movers Boston (https://aoamoving.com/) will move my stuff tomorrow. I'm still pretty excited, though, because it's a new page in my life.

AnthonyBako
October 9th, 2023, 03:19 AM
What an interesting topic! The idea of moving anywhere in the world is so intriguing and offers endless possibilities.

Junkyness
October 9th, 2023, 03:21 AM
Personally, if I could move anywhere, I'd pick a quaint coastal town in New England. The charm, the history, and the close-knit community really appeal to me. Plus, I'm a sucker for seasons—fall foliage and snow-covered landscapes? Count me in!
The logistics of a move can be daunting, though, especially when thinking of all the packing, transporting, and setup involved. If I were to make such a move, I'd definitely consider using Three Movers full service (https://threemovers.com/full-service-movers/) offerings. I checked out their website, and they really seem to have it all covered, from packing and unpacking to disassembling and reassembling furniture.

rachelgreen
February 21st, 2024, 03:13 AM
To america (http://www.google.com)

dneal
February 21st, 2024, 07:35 AM
Spamming with just a link to Google? Weird, and not very creative.

But that describes our resident toddler throwing another spam tantrum (spamtrum?)

It would be more amusing if it wasn’t so sad and pathetic.

You can read more about Empty of Clouds (aka: David Jackson) and his spam escapades in this thread:

Dogs eatin’ homework and other tall tales - or how EoC got caught spamming the forum (https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/38447-Dogs-eatin-homework-and-other-tall-tales)

New members should heed the warning in red at the top of the first post, if you don’t like drama.

If you would like more information, David can be found at this link:

https://www.otago.ac.nz/physio/about/people/administration

Kobaken
February 27th, 2024, 06:40 AM
If you had to choose any place in the world to move there for permanent residence what would your choice be? Give your reasons please. Can you point out the most significant reasons? Just curious ) currently live in Denmark in a small town but dream to move to some warm country, e.g. Spain (currently am staying here for a week) or Turkey ) so my top reason is weather :rain:
what about you?
As a traveler, I think online communities https://www.heyday.net/blog/heyday-overview-types-of-online-communities-for-you-branding are very useful for building your personal brand and connecting with like-minded people. There are different types of online communities, such as forums, blogs, social media, podcasts, and newsletters, that can help you share your experiences, insights, and tips with others. You can also learn from other travelers, get feedback, and discover new opportunities. Online communities can help you establish your credibility, authority, and reputation as a traveler, and grow your network and audience. They can also provide you with support, inspiration, and motivation for your journey.

If I could move anywhere in the world, I would choose New Zealand. I have always been fascinated by its natural beauty, diverse culture, and friendly people. New Zealand has a lot to offer, from stunning landscapes and wildlife, to vibrant cities and rich history. I would love to explore its mountains, lakes, forests, and beaches, and experience its Maori heritage and traditions. I think New Zealand is a peaceful and progressive country, with a high quality of life and a strong sense of community. It would be my dream destination to live and work.

Wellos
March 22nd, 2024, 11:33 PM
You know, I have long dreamed of moving to Oakville and recently my dream came true. True, I bought a rather old house and began to renovate it. I especially want to mention the service entry doors in Oakville https://www.elegantentrydoors.ca/oakville/ because thanks to these guys I bought an inexpensive and very reliable entrance door with a stylish design. Now I am renovating the facade and I am sure that soon my house will be completely suitable for a new comfortable life.