PDA

View Full Version : Pen drying out

renpei
June 21st, 2013, 09:51 PM
I have a Faber Castell ambition and it writes really well.
However, every 15 or so minutes, the ink will dry out and i would have to twist the converter a bit.
Is there anything I can do to fix this as this is a recent thing.

AndyT
June 22nd, 2013, 03:46 AM
A detergent flush and a change of ink would be the first thing I'd try. And running a suitable shim between the nib tines wouldn't do any harm come to think of it.

john
July 6th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Try to enlarge the ink channel of the feed, it will let the ink flows better.

dr.grace
July 7th, 2013, 03:45 PM
If it's a new thing, one likely cause is ink deposits somewhere along the line. So I agree with AndyT that a flush would be best, e.g. with dilute ammonia and a little detergent, or better still a pen cleaning solution like Rapido-eze. Sometimes also, there's a bubble in the converter. In certain converters, the ink doesn't flow very well over the plastic and at times the ink just doesn't get to the feed.

pajaro
July 8th, 2013, 05:02 AM
I find that most fountain pens will dry out if I don't cap them when I am not actually writing with them. This is true of the thirty or so Esterbrooks I have, of the seven Montblancs I have, of most of my twelve Sonnets, of about thirty of my Parker 51s, of my several Sheaffer Imperials, and so I conclude you can't leave them uncapped for more than a few minutes without writing something to keep the flow going.

By all means keep the pen clean. I keep a small spray bottle, holding a fluid ounce or so of water, at work to spray the feed and restore flow.

dr.grace
July 8th, 2013, 11:26 AM
I think the OP meant that the ink flow slows or stops while he's writing.