PDA

View Full Version : New pelikan m805 italic issues.

tarheel1
June 22nd, 2013, 12:45 PM
Inked my pelikan m805 with ib nib and when working it is great. It has starting issues and after a few sentences no ink is coming out. I have to tap it a bunch to get more ink out. I can move the feed a bit, so not sure if this is part of the issue. Tines look even through magnification.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

fountainpenkid
June 22nd, 2013, 03:44 PM
If you bought it new and are in the U.S send it to chartpak.

dr.grace
June 22nd, 2013, 04:12 PM
It's spelled Chartpak (only one "c"). You could definitely send it there if you bought it new.

Otherwise, it could be any of several things:

Manufacturing oils that remain in the feed. Try flushing with dilute ammonia or rapido-eze.

Nib has "baby bottom" syndrome, since it's a B nib. Sometimes the gap between the tines is too wide at the bottom, where it touches the paper. Send to a nib expert to fix this.

Feed is clogged with old ink deposits. If flushing with ammonia and rapido-eze don't do enough, you may need to take the nib assembly apart for more thorough cleaning. If you're not comfortable with this, send to a nib expert.

Feed just doesn't have enough flow. Send to nib expert.

tarheel1
June 22nd, 2013, 05:44 PM
It is a brand new pen and was flushed.

dr.grace
June 22nd, 2013, 06:18 PM
OK, so you can try Chartpak. It will take a little while, but you might end up with a nib that you like. Unfortunately, OTOH, they may not actually fix the problem, and if so you'd have to send it back again or send the pen to a nibmeister. It's frustrating that pen makers don't catch these problems in their QC.

tarheel1
June 22nd, 2013, 06:38 PM
If i holds the pen 90deg perpendicular to the paper it is juicy. I can write upside down also, but not in the correct position.

Tony Rex
June 22nd, 2013, 09:38 PM
Do the brown paper bag trick first. Scribble as many Os (of different sizes) and loopdeloops as many as you can on paper before sending it back. It will remove the new nib coating from factory if any. Use only paper, don't use abrasives.

Tony

tarheel1
June 23rd, 2013, 07:44 AM
Will try that. Do I do it inked?

jar
June 23rd, 2013, 07:59 AM
Do not try the brown paper bag trick. There is no standard for roughness on paper bags and you can do more damage.

If the pen writes and then stops it is often simply an air bubble right before the feed. Try filling the pen with water and a drop or two of liquid detergent and let that sit in the pen for a few minutes, empty and then fill with ink.

reprieve
June 23rd, 2013, 07:59 AM
Will try that. Do I do it inked?

Yes, the pen should be inked.

It sounds to me like your nib has a case of baby bottom (http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/glossary/B.htm), which, in my experience, is very common in modern broad nibs and broad italic nibs. If that is the case, your best bet is to either send the nib to Chartpak for an exchange or to send it to a nibmeister (like Michael Masuyama, John Mottishaw, or Pendleton Brown).

Tony Rex
June 23rd, 2013, 08:00 AM
Absolutely. And make series of vertical strokes, and notice the line thickness. If it gets thicker then you're right.

Welcome to the italic world.

jacksterp
June 23rd, 2013, 08:26 AM
And, believe it or not, it might be because it is new.

If you have another ink, flush the pen and re-ink. See if that doesn't help.

In my experience, some new pens take a little time (a couple of inkings/fills) to settle down.

dannzeman
June 24th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Do not try the brown paper bag trick. There is no standard for roughness on paper bags and you can do more damage.

If the pen writes and then stops it is often simply an air bubble right before the feed. Try filling the pen with water and a drop or two of liquid detergent and let that sit in the pen for a few minutes, empty and then fill with ink.
I've gotta agree with jar here. Do not try the brown paper bag trick. Not only can you do more damage to the nib, but the the fibers from the paper can get clogged in the tines and impair flow.

What ink are you using when this problem occurs? Have you tried other inks? Does the problem occur with a lot of different inks or just one ink?

Tony Rex
June 24th, 2013, 07:57 AM
He tried edelstein and tsukiyo and flushed with dawn, soak etc to no avail. Upside down or low angle were fine, so definitely not ink delivery problem. It's the tipping.

tarheel1
June 24th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Yes seems to be a tipping problem.

tarheel1
June 24th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Chartpak is going to replace the nib and check that everything is in perfect order free of charge.

spotted and speckled
June 24th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Should I ask if the nib is obliqued at all? My Pelikan 800 IB nib is. If so, you must adjust your writing angle.

tarheel1
June 24th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Was not meant to be an oblique. It is a tip issue that will get fixed.

tarheel1
July 3rd, 2013, 03:05 PM
shipping notice from chartpak. Pen should be back on the 10th

tarheel1
July 10th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Got it back today. Works like a charm now. They said the nib was damaged from the factory. They replaced the nib and all is good. Tines were bent together not allowing it to write as well as a bad grind and polish.