PDA

View Full Version : Simichrome substitute?

carlos.q
June 22nd, 2013, 09:17 PM
Is there a substitute for Simichrome that I can use to polish my Esterbrook pens?

I've searched local auto parts stores and they have all sort of metal, chrome and even headlight polishing creams... But no Simichrome. I probably will have to buy this stuff online but the search got me thinking: Is there a substitute? :noidea:

jbb
June 22nd, 2013, 09:34 PM
Good question that I'd like to know the answer too as well. :)

MisterBoll
June 22nd, 2013, 09:48 PM
Is this it? http://www.simichromepolish.com/

Farmboy
June 22nd, 2013, 09:55 PM
I believe semichrome is alumina dispersed as an emulsion in a hydrocarbon carrier. Likely there are also flow agents in the mix. Just check the ingredients to find something similar.

6of1
June 22nd, 2013, 11:11 PM
Flitz (http://www.flitz.com).

Jon Szanto
June 23rd, 2013, 01:48 AM
If you can find Flitz, that's a good solution too (though Simi has really passed the test with a lot of pens). But since you mention Esties, there isn't a whole lot of metal trim on them. If you are thinking primarily about the body of the pen, I really like the 3-step polish set from Novus. You can do your own search, but here is what I got on Amazon:

Novus Plastic Polish Kit (http://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7136-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UD0GIG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371973676&sr=8-3&keywords=novus+plastic+polish+kit)

john
June 23rd, 2013, 08:30 AM
Try the Tamiya fine polish compound which is good for plastic , resin and celluloid. But not working on Omas resin. I use it to polish my pens except the Omas Milord. You can find it in the plastic model shop.

kirchh
June 23rd, 2013, 09:48 AM
Is there a substitute for Simichrome that I can use to polish my Esterbrook pens?

I've searched local auto parts stores and they have all sort of metal, chrome and even headlight polishing creams... But no Simichrome. I probably will have to buy this stuff online but the search got me thinking: Is there a substitute? :noidea:
Do you mean for polishing the plastic on your Esterbrooks?

--Daniel

carlos.q
June 23rd, 2013, 01:29 PM
Is this it? http://www.simichromepolish.com/

Yes, but I can't get it locally.

Paul-H
June 23rd, 2013, 01:29 PM
Hi

Anyone ever tried Autosol Gold & Silver Polish on their pens. or their Chrome Plated Plastic Polish

Paul

carlos.q
June 23rd, 2013, 01:34 PM

--Daniel

Yes. I also found it odd. But it seems that's what the pros use... :shocked:

dduran
June 23rd, 2013, 01:36 PM
If you can find Flitz, that's a good solution too (though Simi has really passed the test with a lot of pens). But since you mention Esties, there isn't a whole lot of metal trim on them. If you are thinking primarily about the body of the pen, I really like the 3-step polish set from Novus. You can do your own search, but here is what I got on Amazon:

Novus Plastic Polish Kit (http://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7136-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UD0GIG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371973676&sr=8-3&keywords=novus+plastic+polish+kit)

Very effective even for gold-plated parts, not as aggressive as polishing cloth. Though might leave a dull finish depending on the cloth/surface. I usually top the gold plated parts off with a very light application of polishing cloth (lighter than compared to cloth only)

john
June 23rd, 2013, 02:17 PM
carlos.q, I don't know if you can find it in your place or not. I use the V-tech Vitalsol (Malaysian product)for polishing the metal parts of the pen even the gold plated clip or cap band. It is safe, not aggressive and leaving no polish mark. Vitalsol is cheap and effective. You can also use on the plastic except Omas resin.

john
June 23rd, 2013, 02:20 PM
Hi

Anyone ever tried Autosol Gold & Silver Polish on their pens. or their Chrome Plated Plastic Polish

PaulDon't use it, it's too core for the plastic. If you want to remove the slight scratch, it will be fine.

Jon Szanto
June 23rd, 2013, 02:40 PM
I listen carefully to all the recommendations I've heard over the past couple of years, especially those from the very respected pen restoration people. And even then, when I want to do a little work on one of my pens, I invoke the directive Primum non nocere. Use the least amount of intervention to bring the pen to it's best appearance!

kirchh
June 23rd, 2013, 05:38 PM

--Daniel

Well, I'm a pro, and I don't use it, and I don't recommend it. It's not formulated for plastics, it has substances in it I choose not to expose pens to (mineral spirits, kerosene), and it leaves powdery residue in crevices that is a pain to remove. Probably a third of the pens that cross my bench have obviously been Simichromed, and I spend a lot of time eradicating that tenacious powder.

--Daniel

kirchh
June 23rd, 2013, 05:48 PM
carlos.q, I don't know if you can find it in your place or not. I use the V-tech Vitalsol (Malaysian product)for polishing the metal parts of the pen even the gold plated clip or cap band. It is safe, not aggressive and leaving no polish mark. Vitalsol is cheap and effective. You can also use on the plastic except Omas resin.
Vitalsol is marketed as being able to "restore the shine of heavily weathered and corroded surfaces," and in addition to a powerful abrasive, it contains a wax which it leaves behind. How have you concluded that it is safe for gold-plated pen trim and also for most plastics?

--Daniel

carlos.q
June 23rd, 2013, 05:51 PM
Well, I'm a pro, and I don't use it, and I don't recommend it. It's not formulated for plastics, it has substances in it I choose not to expose pens to (mineral spirits, kerosene), and it leaves powdery residue in crevices that is a pain to remove. Probably a third of the pens that cross my bench have obviously been Simichromed, and I spend a lot of time eradicating that tenacious powder.

--Daniel
Ok... But then I return to my original question: Is there a substitute? Or better yet: is there something that is safer and works better than Simichrome for polishing pens?

Jon Szanto
June 23rd, 2013, 05:59 PM
Well, I'm a pro, and I don't use it, and I don't recommend it.
And therein lies the crux of the problem for those of us out here, Daniel: this is your recommendation, and we know that other professionals use it and suggest it's use as well. By seeing your caveat in place, it can make us non-pros aware of the pitfalls, but at the end of the day, there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

Of all the products I use on my pens, I use more caution than anything else. ;)

dduran
June 23rd, 2013, 07:42 PM

--Daniel
Ok... But then I return to my original question: Is there a substitute? Or better yet: is there something that is safer and works better than Simichrome for polishing pens?

Take a look at Novus, but as usual, technique also matters.. slow is fast :)

caleath
June 23rd, 2013, 08:58 PM
I have been using plastic polish for headlights, it works fine for my esterbrooks.

cedargirl
June 23rd, 2013, 09:46 PM

--Daniel

--Daniel

Hi kirchh - what do you use? Or is it a trade secret?

Paul-H
June 24th, 2013, 02:09 AM
Hi

Has anyone ever tried good old tooth paste, that is often recommended for fine polishing of plastic. So might be worth a try on a pen.

Paul

carlos.q
June 24th, 2013, 04:14 AM
I have been using plastic polish for headlights, it works fine for my esterbrooks.

I saw this at the auto parts store and it seemed to be a reasonable alternative. I mean, it seems to be a lot more reasonable to use a plastic polish on an Esterbrook than a metal/chrome polish.

Any more ideas?

carlos.q
June 24th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Has anyone ever tried good old tooth paist, that is often recomended for fine polishing of plastic. So might be worth a try on a pen.

Sorry to say, but I have never heard of this. :confused:

ardgedee
June 24th, 2013, 04:41 AM
I've used toothpaste for polishing scratches out of CDs. It works, but it's difficult to get a proper clear finish with it. There is a fresh minty smell when you're finished, though.

AndyT
June 24th, 2013, 05:26 AM
A soft cloth is as far as I go with pens - well pens which matter anyway. However, a polish which I've used for other purposes with outstanding results is Belgom Alu. It's a milky liquid, so presumably it's another aluminium oxide suspension and it seems to have a waxy component. Definitely one of the least aggressive polishes I've come across. Results on celluloid and acrylic razor scales have been gratifying, it also works wonders on non ferrous metals, bone and buffalo horn by the way. So, maybe something else to give a cautious trial run.

john
June 24th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Vitalsol is marketed as being able to "restore the shine of heavily weathered and corroded surfaces," and in addition to a powerful abrasive, it contains a wax which it leaves behind. How have you concluded that it is safe for gold-plated pen trim and also for most plastics?

--DanielUntil now I still use it, I don't have any issue with Vitalsol. I use it on my pens and electric guitars gold plated hardwear and the high gloss finish with great effect. If being hesitated, then don't use it.

carlos.q
June 24th, 2013, 06:48 AM
I've used toothpaste for polishing scratches out of CDs. It works, but it's difficult to get a proper clear finish with it. There is a fresh minty smell when you're finished, though.
Yes... And the idea of cavity-free Esterbrooks is certainly appealing! :wink:

6of1
June 24th, 2013, 07:04 AM

A paste of baking (bicarb) soda and water is fine mild abrasive as well.

Chi Town
June 25th, 2013, 01:23 AM
Try the Tamiya fine polish compound which is good for plastic , resin and celluloid. But not working on Omas resin. I use it to polish my pens except the Omas Milord. You can find it in the plastic model shop.

I'm curious; I have an Omas MiLord also, why would you NOT use this product on the MiLord?? I'll also say that I do not have this Tamiya product either, but maybe I should look into it?

Thanks,

john
June 25th, 2013, 06:31 AM

I'm curious; I have an Omas MiLord also, why would you NOT use this product on the MiLord?? I'll also say that I do not have this Tamiya product either, but maybe I should look into it?

Thanks,I use the Tamiya polish compound on my Milord, but it can't be polished to high gloss with this polishing paste.

carlos.q
June 26th, 2013, 02:03 PM
OK. It's time for a recap. If I want to polish my Esterbrook pens and can't get (or don't want to use) Simichrome, I can use:
1. Flitz
2. Novus plastic polish
3. Autosol Gold & Silver polish
4. Autosol Chrome plated plastic polish
5. V-Tech Vitasol
6. Unknown pro polish
7. Plastic polish for headlights
8. Toothpaste
9. Soft cloth
10. Belgum Alu
11. Baking soda paste
12. Tamiya polish compound
I thank you all for your ideas and recommendations. I'll let you know what I finally end up using. :rockon:

KrazyIvan
June 26th, 2013, 02:16 PM
There is another method that was shared with me specifically for Esterbrooks. It has been used on 51's and Sheaffer Imperials also. It involved sanding and is not for the faint of heart.

carlos.q
June 26th, 2013, 02:30 PM
There is another method that was shared with me specifically for Esterbrooks. It has been used on 51's and Sheaffer Imperials also. It involved sanding and is not for the faint of heart.
Ok... That counts me out!!! Walk... away... from... the... sandpaper... :bolt:

KrazyIvan
June 26th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Ok... That counts me out!!! Walk... away... from... the... sandpaper... :bolt:

Exactly why I am not posting the instructions given to me. Don't want someone willy nilly destroying their vintage pen. :D

Tony Rex
June 27th, 2013, 05:07 AM
I can't believe no one mentioned Sunshine cloth yet. It's a really fine abrasive and also works well on plastic, and not just gold and silver. Good for micro scratches, and no mess either. I had used it to remove tool marks on a nib after working my way up with micro mesh. So it can also take out gold plating if you're not careful.

Aussies can fine them at Bevilles jeweler by the name of WKM silver and gold polishing cloth.

Tony

PS: willy nilly Billy :mullet: deserves an XXXF instructions :)

john
June 27th, 2013, 09:03 AM
There is another method that was shared with me specifically for Esterbrooks. It has been used on 51's and Sheaffer Imperials also. It involved sanding and is not for the faint of heart.sanding:)I used this method on my Parker vacumatic......it's great.