PDA

View Full Version : Marooned!

Empty_of_Clouds
March 25th, 2020, 08:23 PM
Entries from the diary of Robinson Clouds

March 26, 2020 - I, poor miserable “Robinson” Clouds, being marooned during a dreadful storm in the offing, came to find myself in this dismal place. All the rest of the company being dispersed to who knows where.
All the rest of the day I spent in contemplating the dismal circumstances I was brought to - in despair of any relief, either that I should be devoured by wild beasts, eaten by savages, or starved to death for want of food.

I have vowed to keep a log of my unfortunate isolation, should another find themselves in such straits and be in need of what little guidance I may gather ere the end.

At the approach of night, I slept in an empty cavern spotted up ahead, and lit a fire for fear of wild creatures; but slept soundly, though it rained all night.

Paddler
March 26th, 2020, 06:45 AM
I was going to start a thread to see if anyone was going to journal their experiences with the pandemic (a la Pepys). Don't fall for the Robinson wheeze about running out of ink and not being able to make more; it won't work here.:wink:

Empty_of_Clouds
March 26th, 2020, 02:18 PM

March 27, 2020 - The rain of the previous evening has abated and left the air with a freshly laundered feel. Not wishing to venture too far for safety, I peered out of one portal after another. In one direction lush green growth ending in a wall of impenetrable foliage. What lies beyond I cannot guess. In another I see that the land rolls away toward some impressive hills. Nothing seems to be moving.

I must search for something to eat.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 27th, 2020, 03:46 PM

March 28, 2020 - Food is the least of my problems, for the next few days or so. Then, no doubt an expedition will be needed to find more, if indeed there is any more. The quiet of the mornings has been a little unsettling after years of city life. Birds, the wind, secret rustlings in the undergrowth. All seek to drag me from the tender embrace of sleep. Today I must explore this place a little more. There is a path upwards, and another downward. The latter into a forbidding darkness - perhaps for another, braver or more desperate time.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 28th, 2020, 08:00 PM

March 29, 2020 - Today started well, and I felt refreshed for the first time in recent memory. Ahead lay the choice of paths, one up, one down. I chose the ascent, which turned out to be short and ending in two cavernous spaces. From the detritus it appears that one of these had at some time been used as a shelter. Perhaps by some other poor unfortunate on finding themselves marooned in this place. There were no identifying items, and a wave of sadness drifted over me as I sifted through the remains. The other cavern was bare. With a heavy heart I descended to my own hastily arranged abode, to digest this new information and to think about the future.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 30th, 2020, 03:24 AM

March 30, 2020 - It has started to rain again, and the temperature is dropping. Even so, I felt the urge to explore a little of the hilly surrounds. As I walked the only sound was the scuff of my feet and water working its way through the greenery. So alone, and yet from time to time I had that nagging sensation that I was being watched. Snapping my head from side to side revealed nothing, and left me with a bit of a headache. So far I have learned nothing of this place. And so I retreat to my shelter and ruminate on a plan for a more systematic way of mapping the area. There has to be something useable out there. Of course there is still the downward path, but I have not yet summoned the courage to venture there.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 31st, 2020, 04:59 AM

March 31, 2020 - The rain continues. That light kind that drifts in the air currents and penetrates every opportunity to reach bare skin. Today I have fashioned a stout walking stick from a branch off a nearby tree. I guess it could double as a weapon in a pinch, but I am not confident of that. Waiting for a break in the weather is a degree of monotony that looks to be my lot for now. Surely it will stop soon. I couldn't get the fire going, so it's a cold food day. This does not raise my spirits in the slightest.

Empty_of_Clouds
April 1st, 2020, 06:58 PM

April 1, 2020 - This morning I am greeted by a thick and impenetrable mist, through which the lost cries of gulls are faintly received. There will be no exploration today. Time to sit, think, and perhaps formulate some simple strategy for survival. As long as I have breath to draw, and one or two brain cells to rub together, I cannot contemplate just giving up.

welch
April 4th, 2020, 05:14 PM
Robinson_of_Clouds has persuaded me to find my copy of Journal of the Plague Years. That and my abridged Pepys.

carlos.q
April 17th, 2020, 05:55 PM
Whatever happened to Robinson Clouds? :noidea:

catbert
April 17th, 2020, 08:00 PM
Haven’t seen him since Friday.