PDA

View Full Version : What are the most common pens to be faked

Paul-H
June 23rd, 2013, 01:43 PM
Hi Guys

being a total noobie as far as the wonderful world of pen collecting goes and being rather limited on where I can go to find them, I often get stuck with buying often overpriced pens on FleaBay.

So bearing that in mind and with all the scare stories about all the fake pens there are out there in the wonderful world of FleaBay, anyone got a list of some of the more common faked pens to watch out for.

The few I know of are MontBlanc cartridge/converter pens, Parker 51 and Sonnets, even the old Hero Parker 51 copies are being themselves copied now, are there any other well known pens that I need to watch out-for when shopping.

Thanks for any advice.

Paul

snedwos
June 23rd, 2013, 01:55 PM
I would say Montblancs, far and away, since they are high-cachet and conservatively styled.

fountainpenkid
June 23rd, 2013, 03:14 PM
Parker Sonnet

jar
June 23rd, 2013, 04:54 PM
Anything with name recognition, ST Dupont, Cartier, Dunhill, Montblanc, Pelikan, Waterman, Parker, Caran d'Ache ...

cedargirl
June 23rd, 2013, 09:51 PM
As I understand it, it is mainly the new models - easier because no complicated filling system and the market is bigger.

fountainpenkid
June 24th, 2013, 01:15 PM
As I understand it, it is mainly the new models - easier because no complicated filling system and the market is bigger.

Right on.

spotted and speckled
June 24th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Beware of pens coming out of places where there is a high potential of reproductions being made cheaply and without risk. There was a season when Parker 75s coming out of Thailand were all fakes, as well as MBs & other easy name recognition pens. Avoid buying pens overseas from a country that they are not manufactured in, for ex:pens made in Asia being bought out of Italy, and vice versa.

Also look at the ebay sellers name & feedback & what else they are selling. Buy from someone with a lot of good feedback who sells pens--they are not going to jeopardize their business by trying to pass off a fake. If they get a fake, they will swallow it and learn from their mistake. If someone just wants to pass off fakes, they are going to be selling other cheap items or have minimal feedback. If mom & pop are selling off a bunch of stuff they found and the pen is a fake, then that is probably an honest mistake.

There are lots of good ebay sellers out there, don't get discouraged!