PDA

View Full Version : The Virus and TV series binge watching

carlos.q
April 22nd, 2020, 08:17 AM
Binge-watching, also called binge-viewing or marathon-viewing, is the practice of watching content (TV, streaming services, etcetera, etcetera) for a long time span, usually a single television show. In a survey conducted by Netflix in February 2014, 73% of people define binge-watching as "watching between 2-6 episodes of the same TV show in one sitting." Wikipedia

I usually don't binge watch TV series, mainly because I don't have that much time to watch TV. But after more than a month of "shelter at home" and partial curfews mi Hulu subscription got the best of me....

The first series for my binge watching incursion was BBC's production of "Primeval". The series is described this way: Primeval follows a secret government research team, which is tasked with investigating doorways through time and space called Anomalies which are opening and allowing deadly creatures from across Earth's distant past and future to cross into and run rampant in the present. While predicting and discovering more about the Anomalies, the team must also contain the creatures and send them back through to their time periods whenever possible..

What first surprised me was how short British series are. In this case, the annual season ran between 6 and 10 episodes. Compared to this, Battlestar Galactica ran twice at long at 13 to 20 episodes per season.

I found the series very interesting and totally enjoyable. Then again... I'm a science fiction fan with a soft spot for time travel. :wink:

During this pandemic... have you succumbed to the couch-potato adventures of binge watching? What series have you seen? What series do you recommend?

Lady Onogaro
April 22nd, 2020, 01:45 PM
I'm catching up on The Expanse. Just about through Season 3.

I totally binged on Grace and Frankie on Netflix.

I am also watching on YouTube the old Unsolved Mysteries series and excerpts from PD Live.

catbert
April 22nd, 2020, 01:56 PM
UK series leave you wanting more instead of dragging things out. I didn't see much Primeval after the lead actor changed. A good time to catch up ...

If a couple of episodes a day with a break between counts, I've been bingeing these:
Star Trek Picard
The New Pope
Avenue 5

For a change of pace, there's a lot of theatre available on YouTube these days. One advantage over the live experience, especially for Shakespeare, is the option to watch with subtitles. :)

Marsilius
April 22nd, 2020, 01:57 PM
Well, I confess I binge-watched Star Trek Continues (new to me), and one of my favorite series, A Nero Wolfe Mystery.

mulrich
April 22nd, 2020, 06:38 PM
I actually really appreciate a good short run series. Not every story needs 100 episodes to be effective, in fact very few can sustain a high quality and viewer interest after 5-6 years.

countrydirt
April 23rd, 2020, 07:13 AM
Our version of binge watching is 1 episode per night. We recently finished seasons 1 and 2 of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan and appreciated the story arc being finished in 8 episodes per season. We are now enduring season 5 of Madam Secretary and season 3 of Schitt's Creek.

carlos.q
April 23rd, 2020, 08:43 AM
I'm now binge watching the 2004 version of "Battlestar Galactica" which, IMO, is one of the best sci-fi series ever.

Time described Battlestar Galactica as "a gripping sci-fi allegory of the war on terror, complete with monotheistic religious fundamentalists (here genocidal cyborgs called Cylons), sleeper cells, civil-liberties crackdowns and even a prisoner-torture scandal". Wikipedia

Sailor Kenshin
April 23rd, 2020, 08:52 AM
What's My Line...and while not a 'TV series' per se, the short films of Fatty Arbuckle and Buster Keaton.

mulrich
April 23rd, 2020, 09:51 AM
Our version of binge watching is 1 episode per night. We recently finished seasons 1 and 2 of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan and appreciated the story arc being finished in 8 episodes per season. We are now enduring season 5 of Madam Secretary and season 3 of Schitt's Creek.

With young kids, my only opportunity to watch shows is early in the morning before they wake up or late at night after they go to bed. I use the time in the morning to exercise where I watch one show. It's increasingly rare that I have time at night to watch anything. Maybe this is why I like shorter series, I can actually get through something in less than six months.

carlos.q
April 23rd, 2020, 10:01 AM
I'm catching up on The Expanse. Just about through Season 3.

There is an episode in which one of the characters uses what appears to be a Sailor Pro Gear to write a letter.... in cursive!
https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/8734-Fountain-Pens-in-Movies-and-TV/page8

VertOlive
April 23rd, 2020, 03:33 PM
We binged on both seasons of “The Knick” about a brilliant, drug addicted surgeon and his cronies in a New York hospital (the Knickerbocker) during the 1800’s.

Lady Onogaro
April 23rd, 2020, 04:10 PM
I started watching Pose last night. I enjoyed it a lot and intend to continue watching.

Johnny_S
April 23rd, 2020, 05:57 PM
If you see a series called Liar, that is worth watching. Edge of the seat drama, well written and with very good actors. Important that you watch from Episode 1 of Series 1, not easy to pick up mid way through.

Dreck
April 23rd, 2020, 06:28 PM
We finished season 2 of Jack Ryan the week it hit Prime.
I'm all caught up on Shetland. No unnecessary drama, profanity, or nudity. It's refreshing to have a show that holds attention with the integrity of its script and doesn't resort to all of the cheap, tawdry thrills that so many other shows seem to rely on.
Apart from that, about all I watch are documentaries. There's a good one on the National Geographic section of Disney+ that follows research base workers in Antarctica. Another really good one is "Lost Cities of the Maya" wherein lidar (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidar) is used to create and assemble virtual maps of ruins and other features. The look on some of the archaeologists' faces is priceless when the jungle is stripped away and they can "see" previously undiscovered temples and city structures just yards from where they've been working.

welch
April 24th, 2020, 08:22 PM
- Just started "The Expanse" on Amazon Prime. My son recommends it.

- "Godless" on Netflix. Good.

- "The Last Kingdom" returns to Netflix on Sunday. Can't wait.

- "StarTrek Picard" on CBS All Access well worth it. We need the character talking to us again.

VertOlive
April 30th, 2020, 05:37 PM
Since my son’s Navy Sea Cadets are also shut down, the national group posts regular webinars featuring various aspects of life in the Navy and Coast Guard.

Recent topics included an interview with the Executive Officer (she is also a physician) of the hospital ship the USS Comfort which was assisting in New York, a Naval Marine Biologist, and a Coast Guard rescue helicopter pilot. The kids even get to submit questions before the broadcast. Fun and interesting to all of us.

VertOlive
April 30th, 2020, 06:29 PM
Star Trek Picard
The New Pope
Avenue

I didn’t know there’s a Season 2. Jude Law was perfect in The Young Pope! My favorite episode is the one in which he suits up as Supreme Pontiff.

mulrich
May 1st, 2020, 10:37 AM
I'm all caught up on Shetland. No unnecessary drama, profanity, or nudity. It's refreshing to have a show that holds attention with the integrity of its script and doesn't resort to all of the cheap, tawdry thrills that so many other shows seem to rely on.

What service is Shetland on? It's hard to find quality shows without all the things you mentioned.

carlos.q
May 1st, 2020, 11:29 AM
I'm now binge watching the 2004 version of "Battlestar Galactica" which, IMO, is one of the best sci-fi series ever.

Time described Battlestar Galactica as "a gripping sci-fi allegory of the war on terror, complete with monotheistic religious fundamentalists (here genocidal cyborgs called Cylons), sleeper cells, civil-liberties crackdowns and even a prisoner-torture scandal". Wikipedia

Fantastic image, very clever staging

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=53721&d=1588351771

Not only clever staging because this series has what I would call, rather delicately, a very original explanation of religion. However, due to the controversial nature of this explanation, further discussion of this particular subject should go in the "Politics, Religion and Society" sub forum.

Johnny_S
May 1st, 2020, 11:43 AM
Its not that big a deal Carlos, I was commenting on the art of the Last Supper painting and the original post.

However, I am not going to be controversial, I will delete my post saying how much I liked the staging of the Battlestar image and suggest that you also delete your post quoting mine. as I say it wasn't a religous comment to me, it was an artistic reference.

carlos.q
May 1st, 2020, 12:19 PM
Its not that big a deal Carlos, I was commenting on the art of the Last Supper painting and the original post.

However, I am not going to be controversial, I will delete my post saying how much I liked the staging of the Battlestar image and suggest that you also delete your post quoting mine. as I say it wasn't a religous comment to me, it was an artistic reference.

Don't take my commentary the wrong way for I too believe the artistic staging was very nice. I was merely pointing out that the scene is not only artistic but that it has a deeper meaning within the BSG universe.

Anyone who would like to comment on that subject should post in the "Religion, Politics and Society" sub forum.

For the record I believe Battlestar Galactica is one of the best sci-fi TV series. Oh wait... I already said that, right?

countrydirt
May 1st, 2020, 12:49 PM
We just started on season 1 of Bosch on Amazon.

Johnny_S
May 1st, 2020, 12:49 PM

What service is Shetland on? It's hard to find quality shows without all the things you mentioned.

The program was made for the BBC.

Dreck
May 1st, 2020, 01:50 PM

Britbox, through Amazon Prime. Vera (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1693592/)is also very good. Well worth the extra $6/mo

VertOlive
May 1st, 2020, 03:42 PM

Britbox, through Amazon Prime. Vera (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1693592/)is also very good. Well worth the extra $6/mo

Trying the series tonight.

TSherbs
May 1st, 2020, 03:58 PM
Apart from that, about all I watch are documentaries. There's a good one on the National Geographic section of Disney+ that follows research base workers in Antarctica. Another really good one is "Lost Cities of the Maya" wherein lidar (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidar) is used to create and assemble virtual maps of ruins and other features. The look on some of the archaeologists' faces is priceless when the jungle is stripped away and they can "see" previously undiscovered temples and city structures just yards from where they've been working.

I enjoy Shetland a lot.

But I also like the cheap, tawdry stuff now and again.

The broader the tastes, the more fun. ;)

catbert
May 1st, 2020, 05:02 PM
Star Trek Picard
The New Pope
Avenue

I didn’t know there’s a Season 2. Jude Law was perfect in The Young Pope! My favorite episode is the one in which he suits up as Supreme Pontiff.

It's great when a sequel equals or exceeds the original. Jude Law is perfect as Lenny but Silvio Orlando as Voiello is my favourite.

Lady Onogaro
May 1st, 2020, 05:04 PM

I love, love, love Vera and Shetland. Plus, the scenery and the videography is just beautiful, especially in Vera. There are some heartbreakers there, too, in terms of story.

catbert
May 1st, 2020, 05:04 PM
Just started Counterpart, which has some unexpected resonance with our pandemic times.

azkid
May 1st, 2020, 08:03 PM
We just started on season 1 of Bosch on Amazon.Seconded. Love this series. Been watching the new season right after it was released a week or two ago.

- Just started "The Expanse" on Amazon Prime. My son recommends it.

- "Godless" on Netflix. Good.

- "The Last Kingdom" returns to Netflix on Sunday. Can't wait.

- "StarTrek Picard" on CBS All Access well worth it. We need the character talking to us again.The Expanse has been great. Seems to me to have a very realistic imagining of space travel and colonization of the solar system in the near future (within a few hundred years). Lots of layers, great characters, fascinating story and plot lines.

Apart from that, about all I watch are documentaries. There's a good one on the National Geographic section of Disney+ that follows research base workers in Antarctica. Another really good one is "Lost Cities of the Maya" wherein lidar (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidar) is used to create and assemble virtual maps of ruins and other features. The look on some of the archaeologists' faces is priceless when the jungle is stripped away and they can "see" previously undiscovered temples and city structures just yards from where they've been working.I had watched Shetland awhile ago and am caught up. Really enjoy it. The characters are great and the mysteries engaging. Good stuff.

carlos.q
September 13th, 2020, 01:17 PM
Since the last post I have binged watched on Deutschland 83 and Deutschland 86. Great series! It's about the trials and tribulations of a reluctant East German spy working in the West. I can't wait to see Deutschland 89...

carlos.q
September 13th, 2020, 01:25 PM
More recently I have been binge watching on "A French Village" which is set in France during the Nazi occupation. The production values are excellent and the characters are realistic and unforgettable. This is the first TV series or movie I have seen that has a "psychological consultant for characters" and it really shows!!!

Chrissy
September 13th, 2020, 01:33 PM
We just started on season 1 of Bosch on Amazon.
That's interesting. I was about to start watching it and there have been so many series I wasn't sure whether to start right back at the beginning or not.

Chrissy
September 13th, 2020, 01:36 PM
We've watched every single episode of Vera and it's all just been repeated. So we watched them all again :) Not sure if there are many more to come or not.

VertOlive
September 13th, 2020, 05:58 PM
Now watching “Designated Survivor”, about halfway through the set.

Lady Onogaro
September 13th, 2020, 10:44 PM
My favorite (and we're almost all the way through it) is Midnight Diner, a Japanese series based on a manga of the same name.

I also love the Street Food series (Street Food: Asia). Started watching the Taco Chronicles. I never realized until I watched this show that al pastor tacos are a Mexican version of the gyro and that the Lebanese brought them to Mexico. I knew there was a reason why I liked them so much! (Love Middle Eastern food.)

carlos.q
September 19th, 2020, 04:40 PM
Last night I finished the last season of "A French Village" which I mentioned above. This is truly an outstanding series in which the characters are not neatly divided into good or bad. Everyone has their faults, sometimes committing horrible and unspeakable acts in the name of their cause, but at one time or another they all have a chance to show that they are human with the potential to love and be loved. The ending is sad but inspiring, as the townspeople honor a fallen leader of the resistance as they sing La Marseillaise.

As one movie critic said: "That the characters are not all black and white gives a real sense of authenticity.... many of the strong characters and sympathetic characters are killed, often brutally providing emotional shocks which are rarely be found in most war movies."

soretailedcat
September 19th, 2020, 05:01 PM
I watched, loved every episode & was very sorry when I reached the final season.

I also enjoyed a series called THE RESTAURANT, A Swedish production that I also enjoyed.

At the beginning of the lockdown I found I could not concentrate to read but started watching these series & others. I hadn't watched television for more than 20 years so there were many to keep me busy. I watched them all on my Mac Book Air, which I was glad I had purchased the larger sized screen when I replaced my first one.

Thankfully I have returned to reading & only partaking in the occasional streaming.

An old bloke
September 19th, 2020, 06:08 PM
We've watched every single episode of Vera and it's all just been repeated. So we watched them all again :) Not sure if there are many more to come or not.

There are, thank heaven. It is easily one of the best series out.

Chrissy
September 19th, 2020, 11:32 PM
Series 7 is currently being repeated on TV and they mentioned that there are 10 series, so we do indeed have more to come. :)

EvaWills89
September 24th, 2020, 03:36 AM
Thanks to the quarantine, my husband and I watched all the seasons of American Horror Story. To be honest, season 6 of this series was very boring and we almost gave up watching this series

ethernautrix
September 24th, 2020, 07:17 AM
Currently viewing season three of Stranger Things.

Enjoyed Midnight Diner, Schitts' Creek, Criminal, and a bunch of others that aren't leaping to mind.

welch
September 30th, 2020, 02:08 PM
- Just watched "Enola Holmes" on Netflix. A delight.

- the Netflix series "Away", with Hilary Swank was remarkably good. Remarkable because it did not have the standard villain who is always a big smiler at the beginning but then shows try villainy etc. The crew had specialists who behaved as if they really were specialists, and as if they really were astronauts taking the mission seriously.

- In contrast to the Netflix astronaut series "Another Life", a must-avoid. This crew behaves like a collection of undisciplined kids randomly thrown together, with a "surprise" villain whose villainy is introduced in bright lights.

- On Acorn, the US service from BBC and ITV, I and re-watching "Foyle's War", which I watched on Public Broadcasting when it began to play more than 15 years ago. That's long enough that I don't remember who-done-it so far.

carlos.q
September 30th, 2020, 03:41 PM
Just finished X-Company, a Canadian-Hungarian co-production about a group of spies trained in Canada in a secret camp during World War II. It is an interesting and well made three season drama with suitable character development that avoids cardboard personalities.

VertOlive
September 30th, 2020, 03:55 PM
Enjoying the short series version of The Name of the Rose.

An old bloke
September 30th, 2020, 04:01 PM
Just finished X-Company, a Canadian-Hungarian co-production about a group of spies trained in Canada in a secret camp during World War II. It is an interesting and well made three season drama with suitable character development that avoids cardboard personalities.

Not that I've seen the series, but I can tell you that the secret camp in Canada was the SOE 'Camp X' in Ontario. LINK: http://www.camp-x.com/camp-x.html