PDA

View Full Version : Accountant nib

Daral Travis
April 22nd, 2020, 11:07 AM
What exactly is an accountant nib

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

arrow
April 22nd, 2020, 12:17 PM
I wondered about this too a while back and as far as my research went I concluded with a fine nib to extra fine nib and generally in a good quality pen with reliable ink flow. The ones I took a look at were gold nibs and for all pratical purposes, they should be good writers too.

jar
April 22nd, 2020, 12:24 PM
http://www.fototime.com/5F744AC23467421/orig.jpg

Jon Szanto
April 22nd, 2020, 01:02 PM
To the question in general: an accounting or posting nib traditionally combines a fine or extra-fine tip with a very stiff nib body. The term comes from it being used in accounting, the purpose to write small and legibly in ledger books. The small size of the tip is obvious for the tiny annotations to be made, and the purpose of having a stiff nib is that so it won't flex and widen out the line being put on the paper. A stiff nib can usually be used to write faster with.

To Jar: being that the PFM nibs weren't stamped (except for the light mark on the backside that rubs off), how would one know when you had an example of an Accountant point?

arrow
April 22nd, 2020, 01:29 PM
It's interesting to see they made specific accountant and reporter nibs, maybe it was jobs and educations giving a bit of extra attention at the time. I would guess equivalent nibs could be called EF firm, even EEF firm and Medium Fine Firm? Quite a good selection of tip sizes. From jars picture, it just now dawns on me, that Medium Fine, is not the same as Fine. I have noticed the same with Pelikan nibs, loads of variant have been made at one point, but except from the basic EF, F, M and B, the rest aren't very common.

Chuck Naill
April 22nd, 2020, 01:37 PM
Made me think of the Esterbrook Bank #14, which is a very fine point, but it does not hold as much ink in reserve as the Falcon of others, but no reason they should.

carlos.q
April 22nd, 2020, 01:56 PM
Made me think of the Esterbrook Bank #14, which is a very fine point, but it does not hold as much ink in reserve as the Falcon of others, but no reason they should.

Also made me think of the Esterbrook 9450 "Extra Firm Posting" nibs and the vintage Pelikan DEF manifold extra fine nibs.

FredRydr
April 22nd, 2020, 02:37 PM
Then there're the Pelikan Durchschreib nibs.

azkid
April 22nd, 2020, 03:43 PM
Then there're the Pelikan Durchschreib nibs.I had to look it up. Durchschrieben translates to copying. Carbon copies? So, manifold nibs?

Chuck Naill
April 22nd, 2020, 04:51 PM

Also made me think of the Esterbrook 9450 "Extra Firm Posting" nibs and the vintage Pelikan DEF manifold extra fine nibs.

I think I have one somewhere. LOL!!

jar
April 23rd, 2020, 05:18 PM
To the question in general: an accounting or posting nib traditionally combines a fine or extra-fine tip with a very stiff nib body. The term comes from it being used in accounting, the purpose to write small and legibly in ledger books. The small size of the tip is obvious for the tiny annotations to be made, and the purpose of having a stiff nib is that so it won't flex and widen out the line being put on the paper. A stiff nib can usually be used to write faster with.

To Jar: being that the PFM nibs weren't stamped (except for the light mark on the backside that rubs off), how would one know when you had an example of an Accountant point?

You write with it and make an WAG. But really, the accountant nibs were all just extra extra fine and designed to also work through carbon copies, so fine, stiff, rounded tips.

FredRydr
November 25th, 2021, 05:32 AM
I don't quite understand what you're talking about, since I've never heard of such a thing
For example, Esterbrook (see the first two nibs on this old chart):

http://www.esterbrook.net/images/ephemera/bback.jpg

scrivelry
November 25th, 2021, 02:58 PM

Read this fast and it registered as "Poisoning" rather than posting...

Stands on Feet
November 25th, 2021, 03:31 PM
Read this fast and it registered as "Poisoning" rather than posting...

That would probably be a Russian pen, also with a very fine, stiff nib. :)

jamesmcgrill
May 23rd, 2022, 10:13 AM
How much does an accountant charge in the UK? as am looking for a accountant in London. (https://www.connexusconsultants.co.uk/book-online)

FredRydr
May 23rd, 2022, 10:41 AM
Odd that someone would turn to a forum on Sheaffer fountain pens to find a British chartered accountant. Should we expect incoming spam, instead?

Jon Szanto
May 23rd, 2022, 10:43 AM
Odd that someone would turn to a forum on Sheaffer fountain pens to find a British chartered accountant. Should we expect incoming spam, instead?

I'm sitting here, thinking "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Wile E Coyote
May 23rd, 2022, 12:52 PM

I'm sitting here, thinking "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

You might want to consult a British actuary.

jamesmcgrill
June 12th, 2022, 07:01 AM
This was truly a fascinating subject and I kinda concur with what you have specified here

FredRydr
June 12th, 2022, 07:32 AM
For example, on a Waterman 32V:

Gthry1
August 16th, 2022, 07:02 AM
The best pen for an accountant is his ability to use Microsoft Office. I think so because all documentation is done in electronic format in all languages. It is much easier and also more convenient. For example, when I needed help from an accountant and I turned to gorillaaccounting.com (https://gorillaaccounting.com/), and absolutely all the data we had prepared in Excel, Word, etc.

sharmon202
August 16th, 2022, 11:35 AM
I got into fountain pens mostly due to an old accountant pen. Bic I think, White w black cap, around 1972. I had never found a pen tip as narrow as that. I have always written small, have a light hand. It was an improvement but when I ran out of ink I knew my rationale would not get me another. Who would even listen to that back then? Pens always hurt my hand, ink was not dark enough. In 2012 I decided I'd had enough & had to look for something better, for me. After a lot of trial & error I found FPs, fit the bill in every way. As a fringe benefit I found many, many people willing to help me learn. I have appreciated this community more than any I've been involved with. Sorry, I did not mean to be so wordy, Just brought back memories.