PDA

View Full Version : Where could I buy a Pilot Custom 743 in the UK

DLS
June 26th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Apologies if this is the wrong section, wasn't sure where it fitted! Anyway I would really like to get myself a Pilot Custom 743 or possibly another Pilot/Namiki with an FA nib.

I've tried searching online but can't seem to find any UK retailers, so looks like I will have to search further afield.

Thanks for your help :D

AndyT
June 26th, 2013, 09:30 AM
It doesn't seem to be readily available in the UK does it? Just a couple of ebay buy-it-nows from overseas. Might be worth dropping Andy Evans a line before you decide to import one:

http://www.andys-pens.co.uk/

DLS
June 26th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I always see lots of people writing with and talking about them, but have found it almost impossible to find one away from eBay.

Thanks for the suggestion though, will contact Andy and see what he says.

Lawrence
July 8th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I always see lots of people writing with and talking about them, but have found it almost impossible to find one away from eBay.

An alternative is to buy it from either the US or Japan. I have bought from enjeika in Japan who is on ebay (and has there own website).
It is so sad to say that even with customs and postage you may find it cheaper to buy from abroad. I tend to find that the sterling price in the UK may be even more that the dollar price abroad (ie spend a pound here but get the same value for a dollar abroad).
If the UK prices were more competitive then I would prefer to buy in the UK, sad but....
If you import the pen into the UK you will get charged 20% VAT plus an £8.00p post office handling charge if it gets spotted by customs (and it may not).

DLS
July 10th, 2013, 11:11 AM

An alternative is to buy it from either the US or Japan. I have bought from enjeika in Japan who is on ebay (and has there own website).
It is so sad to say that even with customs and postage you may find it cheaper to buy from abroad. I tend to find that the sterling price in the UK may be even more that the dollar price abroad (ie spend a pound here but get the same value for a dollar abroad).
If the UK prices were more competitive then I would prefer to buy in the UK, sad but....
If you import the pen into the UK you will get charged 20% VAT plus an £8.00p post office handling charge if it gets spotted by customs (and it may not).

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for the very useful reply. I had looked at eBay but assumed with the VAT and handling costs it would work out too much, but after having a look it appears not. The seller you mentioned has a nice selection on EBay - many of which are very tempting!

Thanks again and will update the thread with my purchase when I go through with it :)