PDA

View Full Version : Platinum 3776 fountain pen

stevekolt
June 26th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Hey all! I'm thinking about buying a Platinum 3776 fountain pen. I am looking at the light briar wood model, (just love the wood) and I am wondering about y'alls opinion on this pen. Please keep comments to this model (not necessarily the wood appointments) as I have numerous other brands in the collection. Thanks!

Nonsensical
June 27th, 2013, 05:55 AM
The nib is fabulous. That's all you really need to know. It's not buttery smooth, though. Expect a bit of feedback.

KrazyIvan
June 27th, 2013, 11:14 AM
The C nib is buttery smooth. Its also a bit large for Hand.

Shashinjitsu
June 29th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I have 2. B and Music nibs. Both are among my favorites for smoothness and flow.

youstruckgold
June 30th, 2013, 07:30 AM
I have a red (Burgundy) - beautiful pen (very MB) but smooth nib. NOt much flex, but a perfect writer.

gideon
December 26th, 2013, 01:23 AM
The 3776 model Platinum is an excellent choice. F and EF nibs are very good, music nib is wonderful.
If you purchase the pen, please present it

VertOlive
December 27th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I just got the 3776 Black Music nib pen last night. Really enjoying the smoothness of the writing; learning as I go with the nib!

andymcc
December 28th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I have the Century #3776 with a soft fine nib, the nib needed a little alignment when I got it but it's been is daily use since I bought it. The soft fine nib gives some line variation, not as much as a Namiki Falcon but enough to give some expression to your lines, the pen is not wet or dry but mine puts a perfect amount of ink down :)

BillZ
December 29th, 2013, 07:24 AM
I have a black one with the 14K F nib. Smoooooth writer!

bananamoon
December 29th, 2013, 08:43 AM
I've got a #3776 Sai with a 14K fine nib and it's beautiful to write with (and to look at). The nib was fine out of the box but got better during the first few weeks of use.

Perrins57
January 9th, 2014, 04:50 AM
I have the Century #3776 with a soft fine nib, the nib needed a little alignment when I got it but it's been is daily use since I bought it. The soft fine nib gives some line variation, not as much as a Namiki Falcon but enough to give some expression to your lines, the pen is not wet or dry but mine puts a perfect amount of ink down :)

I also have this nib on a 3776 and love it. Light writing and it a typical fine Jap nib (fair amount of feedback) apply some pressure and there's enough line variation to be interesting - it's like two nibs in one. Don't know if it's an option on the briar wood model, but it wasn't on the Burgogne model I got, it's worth asking the retailer if he'll swap them over!

Margana
January 10th, 2014, 01:28 AM
My #3776 music nib and Century B are very smooth and flow very well. The Century FF isn't as smooth and flexes very little. Perhaps it will become softer with use, but that could also reflect my bias in favor of wide nibs.

jde
January 10th, 2014, 06:59 AM
I've had a #3776 SF nib that was not anywhere near as soft as my Pilot SF nib. These are not flex nibs, but IME do provide a bit of shading when writing.

Had an M nib once that was too "wide." Now I just have a #3776 F. It's just right. :)

betweenthelens
January 15th, 2014, 06:16 PM
My 3776 music nib is smooth, smooth, smooth.

Mesu
January 16th, 2014, 07:20 AM
I have a Platinum 3776 maki-e with F nib.

Beautiful pen and excellent nib.

Oncdoc
January 16th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Hello. Are the nibs interchangeable?

betweenthelens
January 17th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Hello. Are the nibs interchangeable?

This may be of help. It's a link from FPN.
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/172971-changing-a-nib-in-platinum-maestro-3776/

Oncdoc
January 17th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Ok thanks. Seems too hard.. Oh well

betweenthelens
January 17th, 2014, 07:00 PM
I would worry about the fragility of the feed as mentioned.

Ok thanks. Seems too hard.. Oh well

JemC
January 23rd, 2014, 12:31 PM
I have the same pen/nib and was hoping to swap it onto a different pen. Assuming it was friction fit, I tried with several different grip materials to try and remove the nib. No luck. I was pretty cautious, so maybe I just wasn't using enough force?

I've considered submerging the section in moderately hot water, just to see if that moves things around enough.

jde
January 24th, 2014, 08:09 AM
I have the same pen/nib and was hoping to swap it onto a different pen. Assuming it was friction fit, I tried with several different grip materials to try and remove the nib. No luck. I was pretty cautious, so maybe I just wasn't using enough force?

I've considered submerging the section in moderately hot water, just to see if that moves things around enough.

I've had 3776 nibs that were easy to remove, and a couple that were very difficult. With one I ended up using a knock out block to get the nib and feed out. One must be careful not to harm the feed. Soaking the nib is always a good idea—more so than trying to remove a cold, dry nib/feed (you might crack something).