PDA

View Full Version : Deep Burgundy Ink

Honey Mustard
June 26th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Hello, all. I've been on the hunt for a rich saturated burgundy ink, but can't seem to find just what I'm looking for, so I thought I'd ask for some opinions. So far I've tried Noodler's BSiAR (meh), De Atramentis Elderberries (beautiful, but much too purple), Diamine Merlot (very nice, slightly too purple) and Diamine Syrah (close, but lacking something). I plan to pick up a bunch of samples and would love some suggestions for inks to try. Any brand is okay, though I tend to stay away from Noodler's and brands like Akkerman that are difficult to source in the U.S.

TMac
June 27th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Monteverde Burgundy is my current favorite. Diamine Oxblood is good. While you don't like Noodlers, their Burgundy is a pretty good color.

TMac
June 27th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Forgot to add Rohrer and Klinger Alt Bordeaux.

AndyT
June 27th, 2013, 04:23 AM
Well, if the two Diamine colours are close to what you want, how about a spot of ink mixing? For instance, if you think the Merlot could do with just a touch more red you might discover your new favourite colour for the price of a 30ml bottle of Crimson (say) and a bit of time spent with an eyedropper and a dip pen. In my experience the Diamine inks mix impeccably. The main downside is likely to be burgundy coloured fingers ...

oldstoat
June 27th, 2013, 10:26 AM
The Callifolio (http://www.artisanpastellier.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_35_37) Bordeaux or Grenat might be right, but they do have a minimum order of €25. On the other hand the bottles are 45 degree wedges so that 8 make a circle. I'm pleased by simple things

thagbert
June 27th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Except for Syrah, Diamine Oxblood would be my choice.

tannie
June 28th, 2013, 11:51 AM

Does that look purple for anyone else? It does in my pen (have only used it in one, but will try more). It just didn't look like what I would call 'bordeaux'...

KrazyIvan
June 28th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Syrah is a favorite. What is it about it that you do not like?

tannie
June 28th, 2013, 12:06 PM

Does that look purple for anyone else? It does in my pen (have only used it in one, but will try more). It just didn't look like what I would call 'bordeaux'...

Well, to reply to myself, I just checked some older writing and it does look like bordeaux there. Just not when I write with it or after it dried. Perhaps I use special paper (tomoe river + rhodia dotpad...) or it just takes a while.

Anyway, I did think of Diamine Amaranth as a possible option. It writes fairly pink (in a love-letter kind of way) but dries up to a more wine-red colour. My EF/F writes fairly light, but after I fill it up it looks darker and I quite like that darker look too.

fiberdrunk
June 30th, 2013, 11:34 AM
I'm a fan of a dark burgundy, too. I mix my own, using the acrylic ink Magic Color (yes, it's safe to use in fountain pens, but only those with nib feeds that can be taken apart completely for cleaning, such as the Rotring ArtPen):

The scan isn't the best, but I mixed the ink to match this color of yarn (Lopi Berry Heather, it was called):

jfsisler
July 5th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Diamine Red Dragon is a nice dark red, kind of maroon...

Margana
July 5th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Have you looked at The Writing Desk (http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/colorama.php) for color comparisons?

menunes
July 5th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Private Reserve Black Cherry, even the name is descriptive.

AndyT
July 5th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Private Reserve Black Cherry, even the name is descriptive.

As I found out this morning - lovely stuff. :)

cwent2
July 5th, 2013, 06:35 PM

I bought a bottle of Syrah in my quest for a match/substitute for Yama Buda, and I consider it close enough for Burgundy for me for now.

Honey Mustard
July 5th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll be placing an order and plan to get samples of the above mentioned. So far, I think Black Cherry is looking like the color I want.

Honey Mustard
July 5th, 2013, 06:49 PM

I'm not sure exactly what it is about Syrah that I don't love. I picked it up a while ago because so many people seem to love it, but I just never grab for it. It lacks something special for me.

Honey Mustard
July 5th, 2013, 06:51 PM
The Callifolio (http://www.artisanpastellier.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_35_37) Bordeaux or Grenat might be right, but they do have a minimum order of €25. On the other hand the bottles are 45 degree wedges so that 8 make a circle. I'm pleased by simple things

Those bottles are amazing! I would have absolutely no problems spending more than €25 :)