PDA

View Full Version : Edison Offering Richard Binder 14k Full Flex Nibs!

bgray
June 27th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Hi Pen Fans!

I'm very happy to announce a collaboration between Edison and Richard Binder. We will now be offering fully flexible 14k nibs.

Please see the video below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8ZMSmt6bYAQ

These nibs are awfully impressive. As you can see in the video, there's little difference between the vintage flex nib and Richard's work. Actually, Richard's nib is offering a bit more flex.

These nibs are inventoried. Unless they sell out very fast, there should be no waiting to get these nibs on your Edison Pens.

Pricing is as follows (this is the cost for the flex alteration only...the cost of the pen is in addition to this cost).

Fine - $85
XF, XXF, XXXF - $135
XXXXF - $150 (not recommended for beginners.)

If you are not familiar with flex nibs, I would recommned visiting Richard's site to read a bit about proper care of flex nibs.

If you would like to have one of these nibs outfitted on an existing Edison Pen, or purchase the nib only, you can contact Richard directly to have this work done.

Let me know if there are any questions!

Brian at Edison

http://edisonpen.com/userfiles/image/Flex.jpg

fountainpenkid
June 27th, 2013, 10:27 AM
That is AWESOMEEEEEE!!!!

pen_addict
June 27th, 2013, 11:43 AM
wow!!!

Might have to replace the fine nib in my Edison Pearl with one of these guys... near future: already exceeded the pen budget this month! ;)

snedwos
June 27th, 2013, 11:50 AM
So, my budget for the Ohio show has just rocketed up... $350 for the pneumatic (my original plan), plus $100 for the gold nib, plus $85 for the flex modification, right?

Frank
June 27th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Excellent collaboration!!

Congrats to both!

Frank :)

bgray
June 27th, 2013, 02:21 PM
So, my budget for the Ohio show has just rocketed up... $350 for the pneumatic (my original plan), plus $100 for the gold nib, plus $85 for the flex modification, right?

Correct! Well see you in Ohio!

earthdawn
June 27th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Saaaa-weeeeeeet !!!!!!!

Wow thats some beautiful line variation there.

Outstanding collaboration.

dduran
June 27th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Congrats on the collaboration!

tandaina
June 27th, 2013, 04:44 PM
I asked, and ONLY pens that take #6 nibs will this be available for. So Mina/pearl (and one more I can't remember) will NOT work. :( I have a Mina.

MisterBoll
June 27th, 2013, 05:02 PM
I asked, and ONLY pens that take #6 nibs will this be available for. So Mina/pearl (and one more I can't remember) will NOT work. :( I have a Mina.

I should see what size is on the Beaumont.

EDIT - Found out #6

bgray
June 27th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Correct, the Beaumont is a #6 nib.

The only Edison pens that will not work with this nib is the Mina, Pearlette, and Encore. Everything else takes #6 nibs.

fountainpenkid
June 27th, 2013, 07:18 PM
So is it possible to have this flex mod done to a smaller 14k nib?

bgray
June 28th, 2013, 06:06 AM
So is it possible to have this flex mod done to a smaller 14k nib?

I don't have access to smaller #5 14k nibs. If you can find some, then you'd have to reach out to Richard and ask him about the possibility.

snedwos
June 28th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Could the Mina be adapted to take a #6 nib, as a custom job? Is the Extended Mina just longer?

reprieve
June 28th, 2013, 07:48 AM
The flexie Edison nibs are now up on Richard's site: http://www.richardspens.com/?pens=nibs+flex. I just placed my order! This is very exciting!

fountainpenkid
June 28th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Could the Mina be adapted to take a #6 nib, as a custom job? Is the Extended Mina just longer?

I think the extended Mina simply has a longer barrel, not a wider cap diameter or a longer cap.

bgray
June 28th, 2013, 08:39 AM

I think the extended Mina simply has a longer barrel, not a wider cap diameter or a longer cap.

Correct, the extended Mina is simply longer. Same nib.

We can't fit a #6 nib on a Mina.

However, we have made a custom version of a Mina with a #6 nib in the past. The pen overall had to be thicker, so we called it the Jumbo Mina! This Jumbo Mina took #6 nibs.

If you are interested, email me at brian@edisonpen.com

reprieve
July 11th, 2013, 09:00 PM
I ordered a fine full flex nib as soon as this was announced, and I just received the nib from Richard. Presumably he has been pretty busy casting spells to forge these magical flexies. :)

I immediately installed the nib in my "4th of July" Huron (so named because of its lovely red white and blue ebonite--see the photo below). This nib is very smooth and very wet. It's delightful to write with normally (without any pressure), but it's phenomenal with moderate pressure on the downstrokes. This baby seems to require less force to flex than my Pelikan Binder full flex nib, but I would need to ink up the Pelikan and do a side-by-side comparison to make sure. The tines spread very easily so one should be careful not to spring the nib by using too much force; these nibs require a light hand. I imagine the XF and XXF full flexies would be better for those who want to do Copperplate or Spencerian approximations, as they would offer more of a hairline, but I chose the fine nib because I wanted something that would add character to my normal writing. These flex nibs would also be wonderful for drawing.

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Pens/The-Huron/i-xfxmpQ9/1/M/IMG_0946-M.jpg (http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Pens/The-Huron/13898042_mR9Pmp#!i=1221429256&k=xfxmpQ9)
Photo of my "4th of July" Huron by Brian Gray

MisterBoll
July 11th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Any writing samples? I'm curious about these as I was ready to order one but ran into several, what I'll call, roadblocks.

reprieve
July 11th, 2013, 09:43 PM
I will try to post some photos and a writing sample this weekend when it is light out (and hopefully not raining). :)

reprieve
July 13th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Any writing samples? I'm curious about these as I was ready to order one but ran into several, what I'll call, roadblocks.

See my review of this nib here (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/3286-Edison-Binder-flex-nib?p=38590#post38590).