PDA

View Full Version : Syracuse NY

Nurk2
May 21st, 2020, 10:55 AM
Hey all. Joined today.

My FP journey started as a graduate student. Needed a pen realized that at the bookstore I could get a "cool" fountain pen and a couple cartridges for not much more than a decent ballpoint.

It was plastic, solid orange, no tapering or rounding, including the cap (flat on top). That pen's been lost over the years. Seriously, if anyone can identify a cheap bookstore fountain pen from a few decades back and point me in the right direction, I'd be forever in your debt.

In the rest of the world, I'm a professional guitarist with a day job. I know you're thinking that FPs are an expensive hobby, and, I suppose, after awhile, it could be, but start shopping for pro-level gear and you'll quickly be disabused of that notion. However, one of the nice things about music is, if you do it right, it pays for itself and then some.

The thing I like about this hobby (bought a new Lilliput in 2010 to scratch an itch, and am now ramping up a little in the past month having not bought a pen since them) is it's relatively cheap, and there's lots of stuff (pens, nibs, inks, papers) to mess with. It's a nice distraction.

Presently, this is it, with a couple Safaris on the way for me and my better half (also a musician):

https://i.imgur.com/e2mppc9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nlgEUj3m.jpg

jar
May 21st, 2020, 11:10 AM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

azkid
May 21st, 2020, 03:20 PM
Welcome! Those are all great pens. I totally agree this doesn't have to be an expensive hobby. I am no musician but I know that stuff gets super pricey. Anyway glad to hear ya. :)

Ron Z
May 21st, 2020, 04:04 PM
Syracuse.... lived there for 32 years, moved in 2014. In January of course. When else would a Syracuse resident move south?

There used to be some good places to buy pens. Commercial Art Supply (the Art Store, between Erie Blvd and 690 E) used to have a pen boutique. That was closed before we moved, though I think that they still had a few pens. I don't know if they still sell technical drawing pens and such or not, or ink. They used to have ink. I hadn't found any pens in Syracuse for several years before we left.

Have fun with the winters! I used to work on top of Onondaga Hill. If heading south, look to the SW. The big tower was ours. I called it Little Siberia. We could have whiteout conditions up at the station, and clear skies at home in the Valley. I did some math one day, and concluded that if it hadn't melted every year, the snow that fell while we lived there would have covered our 350 ft tower. I will admit that the year we got 192 inches was a little much.

Sailor Kenshin
May 21st, 2020, 05:46 PM
Welcome aboard! I'm wondering whether your pen from college wasn't a Sheaffer No Nonsense. I have a small collection, but I'm not sure if they made an orange model.

guyy
May 21st, 2020, 07:26 PM
I went to graduate school up that way, too, about an hour away. There were a few places with pens back then, even in small towns up there. Nowadays there aren’t even many retailers down here in NYC.

Anne
May 21st, 2020, 07:42 PM
Welcome:)

Nurk2
May 22nd, 2020, 02:00 PM
Welcome! Those are all great pens. I totally agree this doesn't have to be an expensive hobby. I am no musician but I know that stuff gets super pricey. Anyway glad to hear ya. :)

Thanks! I'm picking up my #1 amp tomorrow. Just had some warranty service done. That piece alone was >$2K. Anyway, I had a FULL book in February that ran all the way to August. The August date just cancelled. That's all folks. In our family alone we lost 9 shows. Grrrr. Remarkably, though, I got a call last week for something next Friday. It will pick up again. In the meantime, the demand for video services is way up. I'm learning a lot.

Nurk2
May 22nd, 2020, 02:01 PM
Syracuse.... lived there for 32 years, moved in 2014. In January of course. When else would a Syracuse resident move south?

There used to be some good places to buy pens. Commercial Art Supply (the Art Store, between Erie Blvd and 690 E) used to have a pen boutique. That was closed before we moved, though I think that they still had a few pens. I don't know if they still sell technical drawing pens and such or not, or ink. They used to have ink. I hadn't found any pens in Syracuse for several years before we left.

Have fun with the winters! I used to work on top of Onondaga Hill. If heading south, look to the SW. The big tower was ours. I called it Little Siberia. We could have whiteout conditions up at the station, and clear skies at home in the Valley. I did some math one day, and concluded that if it hadn't melted every year, the snow that fell while we lived there would have covered our 350 ft tower. I will admit that the year we got 192 inches was a little much.

It hasn't snowed in two weeks. I just mowed the lawn!

My oldest is a illustrator. Very familiar with Commercial Art Supply. I'll have to check it out once things start to reopen.

Ron Zorn? Did I play with you? Are you a musician?

Nurk2
May 22nd, 2020, 02:02 PM
Welcome aboard! I'm wondering whether your pen from college wasn't a Sheaffer No Nonsense. I have a small collection, but I'm not sure if they made an orange model.

OH. MY. GAWD.

That is it! Thank you thank you!

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.picclickimg.com%2Fd%2Fl400%2F pict%2F352089314906_%2FVintage-SHEAFFER-No-Nonsense-Fountain-Pen.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

They're now being sold as "vintage." $55! Crazy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sheaffer-No-Nonsense-Orange-Cartridge-Fill-Pen-working/350855498520?hash=item51b09e0b18:g:ZsYAAOxy1NxSC9l ~

Just nailed one for $20. My collection is now "complete!"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1970s-Or-1980s-Schaeffer-Cartridge-Red-No-Nonsense-Fountain-Pen/153928021177

azkid
May 22nd, 2020, 02:50 PM
Sweet. Glad you found one. I had one as a calligraphy kit. I hear a lot of people like the.

Ron Z
May 22nd, 2020, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=Ron Z;291924]

Ron Zorn? Did I play with you? Are you a musician?

...amongst other things. I was a voice major in college, took lessons to continue singing while in Syracuse, with Donna Miller. But I doubt that we performed together. Directed a choir at our church. My work, before I went into pen repair, was in radio. Feel free to contact me back channel. There's an email link on my website.

VertOlive
May 22nd, 2020, 10:36 PM
Welcome from North Padre Island. Love my Lamy cache. Just proves you don’t have to spend a lot to enjoy this pastime.

Nurk2
May 23rd, 2020, 03:22 PM
Interesting. Seems like I know you from somewhere (small town).

http://www.danskidmore.com/events.html

Radonactionservices
May 23rd, 2020, 06:42 PM
Welcome. This is an amazing community. Lots of enthusiastic people to learn from. I had a similar No-Nonsense Sheaffer in green. These weren’t bad pens. I also had a favorite orange Pentel P605 pencil, which has been virtually impossible to find.

By the way, Teri at Peyton Street Pens might be able to help you find a NOS orange pen like you had. They’ve got an a nice stock of new old stock Sheaffer items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wahl
May 24th, 2020, 10:34 AM
:welcome:

Morgaine
May 25th, 2020, 07:40 AM
Hello and welcome.

countrydirt
May 28th, 2020, 09:48 AM
Hi Nurk2! Welcome from Colorado!

sgtstretch
May 28th, 2020, 01:23 PM
Welcome from the Utica, NY area!

welch
May 30th, 2020, 11:15 AM
Welcome!

Chrissy
June 15th, 2020, 11:34 PM
Welcome :)

Xyrium
June 22nd, 2020, 04:10 PM
Whoohoo, welcome aboard, from another newb! ;)

I tinker with guitar and drums myself, but don't have a degree in music. Still love it, and have a great time.

Bisquitlips
July 16th, 2020, 11:03 AM
Welcome!!! :welcome: