PDA

View Full Version : ipad or iphone stylus

enchiridion
June 27th, 2013, 10:57 PM
I wondered yesterday what was needed to make a stylus for an iphone or ipad. I have a pogo from Wacom, but anyhow I wanted to know. Google immediately gave me a few solutions, but I didn't like the copper wiring around the body etc. So I first got a aluminum tube and some conductive foam. Worked perfect, but it lacks the style.
So I started thinking and I still have a box of 10 new rapidograph bodies from way back. After a number of daft ideas I realized the rapidograph body has thread both front and back. At the back it has the red band and the end while front you need to put the pen in.
I realized I had an old Kodak slides box full of nozzles for central heating systems. They are in messing and have thread, maybe one would fit and hopefully the whole would be wide enough to put the conductive foam in.
Worked perfect 1 out of about 20 had the perfect threading, but needed some polishing. The messing head would eliminate the copper wiring and shine with the black body of the rotring. But then when shaping the conductive foam I started becoming unhappy with that. So I started looking for alternatives and found a nice one. In an old Lacie external hard disc (they keep breaking all the time) I dissambled recently to get the HDD which worked when I hooked it up on my forensic kit I found a bar of non conductive foam covered with conductive cloth. Textile. A nice titanium grey one. The problem is the cloth is glued to the foam and therefor hard to mode for now. But anyhow I assembled, tested felt how it lay in my hand and how it went in the iphone and how it went on the ipad. I'm quite happy with the result.
Of course I can get the messing better with sandpaper or turning and I will look for conductive cloth (smooth as silk) to make a nice drop shaped or nib shaped part.
Feel free to suggest alternatives, but I was pretty pleased with my first homemade pen (be it a stylus so far).
here are some pictures:

KrazyIvan
June 28th, 2013, 08:23 AM
If you can get something nib shaped to work without scratching the screen, that would be cool! I always have issues with not being able to see what I am doing with a regular stylus.

earthdawn
June 29th, 2013, 01:51 AM
If you can get something nib shaped to work without scratching the screen, that would be cool! I always have issues with not being able to see what I am doing with a regular stylus.

Thats always been my issue with any stylus I have tried on any touch screen. The line of sight and precision of the stylus was never better then my finger.

neat project by the way!

PSmith
June 29th, 2013, 09:37 AM
I assume you have to touch the brass (messing) part or is the rOtring body also conductive?

enchiridion
June 29th, 2013, 12:32 PM
this one is already partly nib shape but trapezoid. it is like a squeegee but I'm figuring out a way to cover a nib withe the textile.

enchiridion
June 29th, 2013, 12:48 PM
yes the brass part is crucial. In fact it is very simple I made an aluminum one too and one like the manuals on the internet claim it should be, but it is very simple: conductiveness, non-abrasive tip and stylus to hold.
the alu is a piece of alu tube and a foam (non-conductive) wrapped in conductive silky textile. Works as a charm or should I say magic wand.

enchiridion
June 29th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I assume you have to touch the brass (messing) part or is the rOtring body also conductive?
no the rotring isn't but could be I will see if I can screw a brass or alu rotring on.
Since you keep the brass part like a pen de body can be whatever you want even hard rubber or ebonite.

enchiridion
June 30th, 2013, 03:48 PM
I made a nib shaped part from an old eraser and just envelopped it in the conductive textile and provisionally fixed it with a copper wire. It works but the tip of the nib with textile needs a minimum of contact. I also started making a kap and a threaded back.