PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Durham England

topcat666
May 25th, 2020, 12:27 AM
Hello all.
I did try posting a more detailed entry 2 or 3 weeks ago but I think it went into a forum blackhole!
Currently,probably due to the Covid 19 lockdown,I've had the opportunity to clean up a number of pens and indulge a hobby thhat I frankly have not had time to bother with for some time.
Still, I've been using fountain pens off and on (more off than on admittedly) for 20+ years.
Recently, been experimenting with some Chinese pens, some good and some not so good, and seem to have acquired in the last 3 weeks a Lamy 2000 and a Parson's Essential (which I'll work with this week).
Seems I'm on an acquisition trail?
Take care everyone in these strange times.
Topcat666.

jar
May 25th, 2020, 05:53 AM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Morgaine
May 25th, 2020, 07:38 AM
Hello and welcome.

azkid
May 25th, 2020, 09:18 AM
Welcome! Would be great to see pics. It's fun to try different pens for sure.

VertOlive
May 25th, 2020, 01:38 PM
Welcome from the land of not-locked-down!

Anne
May 25th, 2020, 04:51 PM
Welcome:)

topcat666
May 26th, 2020, 11:55 AM
Hello,everyone and thank you for your kind replies.
I'm still having to work during Covid 19 lockdown so it's a bit odd at present.
Just to flesh out my history.
My wife bought me a Waterman Laureat abot 25+ years ago and later on a Caran d'Ache Ecridor.
When on holiday in Italy years ago I also impulsively bought a Marlen (unknown model but with silver bodywork for which I really must find a silver cleaning cloth post lockdown).
The bug had bit.
I boughtba Sailor 1911 with 21k nib. (Nice nib but poor converter so I'll put in a new converter soon and see what happens).
Then a TWISBI was given to me by my wife that I used as aworkhorse for a long time.
Also managed to pick up 3 vintage pens ( Sheaffer, a small Parker Duofold and a Swan (green marbled -nice!).
Since I came back recently,I bought a Wing Sung 601 (huge value pen) and await a 601a from China (currently in the |Customs centre at Heathrow).
The Parson's Essential along with the Lamy 2k were used at work today and I hope to use the Italix a bit more to see how it performs.
I'm trying to resist buying any more....for a little while...i mean that now.
Take care everyone and thanks again.

carlos.q
May 26th, 2020, 12:01 PM
Receive a warm welcome from sunny Puerto Rico! :welcome:

PS. Don't forget to post pics!

aherman
May 26th, 2020, 06:38 PM
Hello and welcome!

Wahl
May 28th, 2020, 07:34 AM
:welcome:

countrydirt
May 28th, 2020, 09:49 AM
Welcome topcat! I'm glad you're here!

welch
May 30th, 2020, 11:20 AM
Hello, and welcome! I love the Parker 51, but was just enticed to buy a Wing Sung 601. A terrific updating of the P-51 Vacumatic, and a pleasure to take apart. I was even able to put it back together again. Try the medium nibs from office_pen_store on EBay.

topcat666
May 30th, 2020, 11:54 PM
Thanks for your welcome replies.
Just inked up the Wing Sung 601A (the ¬Triumph" style nib) and for £11, I cannot complain but the writing is easier on the WS 601 hooded nib.
Weirdly, I found I preferred the feel of the Jinhao 159 nib over a Sailor 21k (which I bought 10 years ago - good nib/body - poor converter) so I guess my arthritic hands and ageing preferences have changed!
Maybe I prefer more feedback now when back then it was a quest for smoothness?
Take care,everyone.

penwash
June 1st, 2020, 09:37 AM
Maybe I prefer more feedback now when back then it was a quest for smoothness?

I think this aspect of preferring feedback is more common than what is being talked about or acknowledged.
Back in my introductory phase to this hobby, I also quest for the smoothest nib, only to find out later that a nib with feedback (a Sheaffer Triumph at that time) was oddly so satisfying to use.

Growing to appreciate the more subtle nuances is part of one's journey in many hobbies/passion. Like appreciating non-sweet wines, or the tension from dissonant Jazz chords.

Oh, and welcome :)

azkid
June 1st, 2020, 11:46 PM
I like some feedback too, usually. Too smooth and wet seems out of control to me.

Chrissy
June 14th, 2020, 03:13 PM
Welcome :)

Bisquitlips
July 16th, 2020, 11:06 AM
Welcome!!! :welcome: