PDA

View Full Version : Diamine Salamander - coming soon!

The Good Captain
June 28th, 2013, 01:48 AM
I can now announce a forthcoming new ink from Diamine - Salamander. It's a wonderful dark green, olive, khaki, brown colour
which I'm sure will be very popular. Seriously it is all of those colours.
Working in collaboration with Phil Davies at Diamine I was asked to come up with a name for a sample of the ink he'd sent me to have a look at, labelled 'No 93'. I was intrigued.
It reminded me of the colours of Royal Flying corps bi-planes during WWI so I had a look for some more information. Here is one of the Q & A bits on a website for UK model aircraft fanatics.

"I have been trying to discover the true colours used on these aircraft. The excellent pictures in Cross and Cockade journals were my starting point but I remain unsure as to what the colours really were. For example are the upper planes and fuselage dark green, olive, khaki, brown? Please can anyone help on this?"

"There's not an easy answer to your question, as the colour wasn't constant. The dope used for aircraft upper-surfaces on the Western Front was PC 10 (Protective Colouring No 10) and the pigments were natural oxide of iron (yellow ochre) and lamp black/carbon black, in the ratio of 250 to 1 (ochre is comparatively heavy and lamp black is very light); this produced a dark brown mixture. To spread it on to aeroplane fabric, the mixture was added to cellulose or oil varnish, something that caused an optical effect known as 'green shift', which caused the doped area to look greenish under some light conditions. The degree of green shift varied depending on the type of varnish used. However, as the aeroplane was exposed to the elements, the green shift was reduced and it took on a definite dark brown appearance.
To add to the confusion, the colouring could vary between manufacturers, and even from batch to batch on aircraft made by the same manufacturer."

When I tried out the ink, I noted that the similarity with the changes of colour from brown/green to brown and then to green sometimes, and the ‘green shift’ effect was remarkable. On white papers, such as Rhodium or Clairefontaine, the colour when the ink first hits the paper has a definite green starting point. However, it dries to that mystical khaki colour but then when direct light hits it, there is shading and a metallic sheen is visible. On Rhodia ivory paper, the brown colouration is evident but on Leuchtturm and even more so on Moleskine, that brown goes positively copper and the sheen is most pronounced.
Something in the back of my mind came up with the name 'Salamander' and when I looked for pictures on the net, I realised that it was the fact that a lot of that species of small amphibians are couloured black with yellow patches - just like the mix or PC 10 - tha thad jogged my memory!
Obviously, you will have to make up your own minds. The ink should be available in about six to eight weeks and I will post scans as soon as I am allowed to.
Until then, sit back and wait for Salamander - it will be worth it, I promise you.

jacksterp
June 28th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Really enjoy Diamine ink and am looking forward to this color.

Thanks for the info.

ransky
June 28th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Good Captain, what great background information. As an aviation buff, I love the backstory. Sounds like a super ink. Looking forward to it.

oldstoat
June 28th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Interesting colour. I'm not over keen on greens but like browns so this has definite possibilities. Any indication of a release date?

caleath
June 28th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Really looking forward to this.

KrazyIvan
June 28th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Okay, you got me. I want.

cygnoir
June 28th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Cannot wait to see this in person!

MrsGouletPens
June 28th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Any indication of a release date?

Confirmed it is scheduled for a late August arrival in the US.

klpeabody
June 28th, 2013, 07:18 PM
This is very exciting news! I'm looking forward to this new ink, and kinda can't wait. Anyone have swabs to share? =)

The Good Captain
June 29th, 2013, 02:40 AM
I am only allowed to post scans of this ink when I get the go-ahead from Phil Davies at Diamine. Sadly, I'm not even open to bribery on this one at all!
Not even copious amounts of alcohol would persuade me.
However...

klpeabody
June 29th, 2013, 08:16 AM
I am only allowed to post scans of this ink when I get the go-ahead from Phil Davies at Diamine. Sadly, I'm not even open to bribery on this one at all!
Not even copious amounts of alcohol would persuade me.
However...

Well, if copious amounts of alcohol can't persuade you, that sounds pretty serious. :D

Looking forward to more information as it becomes available. Thanks for sharing this. I wait with anticipation!

TMac
June 29th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Sounds like an interesting color. I can't wait to see how it looks.

I like mango pudding
June 29th, 2013, 11:11 AM
This thread is useless without pics!!!!!!!

(sorry, just had to say that!!!! :pound: )

KrazyIvan
June 29th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Then just post the emoticons.

:postpics:

reprieve
June 29th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Some of my favorite inks are murky olive green-browns (a la Sailor Rikyu-cha or Noodler's Burma Road Brown), so I'm very much looking forward to this one!

The Good Captain
June 30th, 2013, 02:11 AM
As soon as I get the go-ahead, I'll post the pics. I've already started on the stuff to scan, with some comparisons etc.
Soon, my children, soon.
:spy:

jacksterp
June 30th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Cap'n - Talk about selling the sizzle and not the steak! Can't wait already.

Sailor Kenshin
June 30th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Some of my favorite inks are murky olive green-browns (a la Sailor Rikyu-cha or Noodler's Burma Road Brown), so I'm very much looking forward to this one!

What you said! :)

Cake
June 30th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Can't wait to see this one, sounds so intriguing.

cedargirl
July 1st, 2013, 09:56 PM
What a great non-review! I want it already.

But I couldn't work out why we wanted pigs! hahaha

Then just post the emoticons.

:postpics:

CapeClear
July 5th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Sounds great. As an avid Diamine user I'm intrigued! I was going to order a few bottles today to replace some empties but I might just be tempted to hold off. I love khaki green.

I like mango pudding
July 11th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Updates, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Good Captain
July 12th, 2013, 01:17 AM
Updates, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, I've done all the scans and a couple of mediocre pictures - just waiting for the go-ahead from Diamine. I don't think it will be too long now.

The Good Captain
July 12th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Almost sooner than I predicted, I've been given the clearance to put pix up so the fastest way is to follow this (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/248881-diamine-salamander-an-overview/) link.

caleath
July 12th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Thank you for the info, on my list to get when available.

reprieve
July 12th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Almost sooner than I predicted, I've been given the clearance to put pix up so the fastest way is to follow this (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/248881-diamine-salamander-an-overview/) link.

I adore the color. Salamander is added to my must-have-as-soon-as-possible list. I can't wait!

klpeabody
July 12th, 2013, 06:35 PM

Thanks for such a thorough preview. I eagerly await distribution.

KrazyIvan
August 26th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Any updates on a release date?

The Good Captain
August 26th, 2013, 12:57 PM
The most recent information I've had from Diamine is that Salamander will be available in October due to 'some unexpected delays'. It coincides with the announcement of a new ten-ink Flower set which I've linked to the short series of scans on FPN. They look to be some nice colours but I admit, not all to my personal taste.
Here's the link. (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/251308-new-diamine-flower-set/)

I like mango pudding
August 26th, 2013, 01:18 PM
ughhhhhhhhhhh

I couldn't wait for the Salamander and ended up getting a different green in the meantime. Still might think of it come October.

The Good Captain
August 26th, 2013, 01:23 PM
ughhhhhhhhhhh

I couldn't wait for the Salamander and ended up getting a different green in the meantime. Still might think of it come October.
Well, that's your prerogative. Maybe you'll still get a bottle someday.

dobemom
August 31st, 2013, 04:49 PM
Sounds great! I do think information like this makes me happy I spent all that time in art school studying color theory!:bounce:

southpaw52
September 1st, 2013, 12:23 PM
Always great to hear that Diamine has new color.

Greylag
October 11th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Cult Pens just tweeted they have it in:
‏@cultpens 20m Salamander - Diamine's new ink colour is now available! http://ow.ly/pImOu #ink #fountainpen

Have ordered 30ml, really looking forward to trying this out!

I like mango pudding
October 11th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Cult Pens just tweeted they have it in:
‏@cultpens 20m Salamander - Diamine's new ink colour is now available! http://ow.ly/pImOu #ink #fountainpen

Have ordered 30ml, really looking forward to trying this out!

Oh great :angry: Now they have it. I just ordered ten differennt coloured 30ml Diamine bottles from them just to justify the 10gbp shipping prices. They didn't have Salamander just a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't wait.

Now what... ?? ....???? ....

The Good Captain
October 12th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Well, Salamander is in theory available here in the UK anyway, as of yesterday.

KrazyIvan
October 12th, 2013, 08:28 AM
And in the US?

The Good Captain
October 12th, 2013, 09:03 AM
And in the US?
Goulet's site is quoting 'mid to late October' but I've no real ideas of any definite dates over there.

ardgedee
October 12th, 2013, 09:09 AM
And in the US?

Both Goulet and Vanness will be stocking it. When I inquired at Vanness in early September, they replied they expected it late Sept/early Oct... obviously that's been pushed back a bit. So I'm guessing any week now.

KrazyIvan
October 12th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Thank you. I don't think I have looked forward to any other ink as much as this one.

heath
October 12th, 2013, 06:26 PM
I'm looking forward to this one as well. If someone else gets it I'd love to see writing samples.