PDA

View Full Version : Black Lamy Nibs

Midg
June 29th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Has anyone experienced flow problems with the black Lamy nibs? My "plain" stainless steel ones have been great, but some new black nibs seem somewhat dry.

Thanks!

dgator
June 29th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Has anyone experienced flow problems with the black Lamy nibs? My "plain" stainless steel ones have been great, but some new black nibs seem somewhat dry.

Thanks!

No problems with my (fine) black Lamy nib. I have it on a Safari and have been using it for over three years. Maybe the tines are too close together or the pen needs a good flushing. Have you tried different inks?

Midg
June 29th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Some flossing seems to have helped with one nib. Is it possible that the black lacquer caused some flow problems? On the other nib, the tines might be too close, as you suggest. I have tried a couple of inks.

Thanks.

jacksterp
June 29th, 2013, 07:41 PM
I have only one, a fine on a Safari, but have had no issues with it. It does not write overly wet, but it is certainly not dry.

Midg
June 30th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the info. The nib that got flossed is now like yours -- not too wet, not too dry. The other just needs an adjustment. Odd, I usually have nothing but pretty good experiences with Lamy nibs.

jacksterp
June 30th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Midg - Once in a while you'll get a dud, but don't be put off by it. By in large, in my experience, Lamy nibs are fine "out of the box."

chad.trent
July 5th, 2013, 11:21 AM
I noticed an issue on the last two pens I bought with black nibs. The nibs were loose on the feed. Not loose enough where they would fall off, but much easier to pull off the feed than the regular steel nibs. I pinched the side pieces of the nib very slightly where it grabs the feed with some small pliers (wrapped in tape first so it wouldn't mess up the black coating) and it fit much better. I don't know if the issues are connected but if it's not making good contact with the feed, that would make it not write as well. I didn't try writing with them before I tightened up the nib.