PDA

View Full Version : Source for Brass Flanges for Oblique Pens?

JazzDoc
June 29th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Anyone know of a source for the brass flanges (nib holder) for oblique pens? I'd appreciate any leads. Thanks!

AndyT
June 29th, 2013, 01:13 PM
I've been thinking about this off and on for quite a while now, and decided that it should be fairly straightforward to make the flanges. If you can find a suitable bar which matches the radius of the underside of the nib, it should be an easy matter to bend some soft brass sheet to suit, fold it over and then fold it back over a nib ... and so forth. If brass sheet is a problem, I'd try cutting up an aluminium drinks can. You're aiming for a gentle push fit which doesn't deform the nib, and since the sections vary the ideal would be to have a set of flanges matched to your favourite nibs, maybe even crow quills. The tricky bit is likely to be making a suitable slit in the holder to grip the flange: I'm willing to bet that a razor saw would be too thin, and anything else too thick!

Might have a go at this now you've brought the subject up. :)

JazzDoc
June 29th, 2013, 04:26 PM
I've been thinking about this off and on for quite a while now, and decided that it should be fairly straightforward to make the flanges. If you can find a suitable bar which matches the radius of the underside of the nib, it should be an easy matter to bend some soft brass sheet to suit, fold it over and then fold it back over a nib ... and so forth. If brass sheet is a problem, I'd try cutting up an aluminium drinks can. You're aiming for a gentle push fit which doesn't deform the nib, and since the sections vary the ideal would be to have a set of flanges matched to your favourite nibs, maybe even crow quills. The tricky bit is likely to be making a suitable slit in the holder to grip the flange: I'm willing to bet that a razor saw would be too thin, and anything else too thick!

Might have a go at this now you've brought the subject up. :)

Excellent, but I think an aluminum can would be too thin - and sharp - Andy - danger of lacerations!! I'd just rather find the pre-made brass ones (Lazy? Maybe so.). :noidea:

AndyT
June 29th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Haha! It's true, I do have a complete blind spot when it comes to the dangers of sharp things, and a couple of scars to prove it!

I wonder if anybody sell flanges on their own ...frankly I'd be a bit surprised. Thinking aloud as it were, Jake Weidmann makes one-off holders and Michael Sull has his own line - and they're both master penmen. So there's a chance writing either one of them a letter might pay dividends, but it does seem a bit cheeky. You might be able to cannibalise one from a Speedball, but would you want to? Well, if all else fails I'll certainly have a go at making some, and be delighted to post you a few if I meet with any success.

Links for Jake Weidmann and Michael Sull:

http://jakeweidmann.com/
http://spencerian.com/

Musinkman
July 11th, 2013, 12:58 AM
I was just curious as to the response from Mr. Sull or Mr. Weidmann.

Emikens
February 4th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Anyone know of a source for the brass flanges (nib holder) for oblique pens? I'd appreciate any leads. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNuvi-fdutE

I found the correct brass at Ace hardware in the craft section.

JazzDoc
February 5th, 2015, 07:24 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNuvi-fdutE

I found the correct brass at Ace hardware in the craft section.

FaaaanTAStic!! Thanks a million, Emikens!

elaineb
February 5th, 2015, 08:24 AM
If your local hardware store does not have it, try your local art supply store. Not Michaels or AC Moore or craft stores, but dedicated art supply store that serves working artists and architects, e.g. Dick Blick, Utrecht, or any local merchants. They carry model making-supplies like metal sheets, rods, tubes, plastics in many forms, sanding films, and such. For instance, you can get a lifetime supply of brass shim in several thicknesses for a couple of bucks. Or PVC film in the exact fraction of a millimeter you need for tine spacing. Hardware stores generally do not stock the depth of selection in these materials that you'll find in art supply stores.

Wile E Coyote
February 5th, 2015, 09:37 AM
And if the hardware or art supply stores don't have it, try a hobby shop.