PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Hainesville IL, USA!

Dogma1957
June 10th, 2020, 10:01 AM
My two "weaving" girlfriends just turned me on to using Fountain Pens (used my parents when I was a child, but smooshed the nibs and they didn't let me continue using them! :(

I started with researching 10 best lists and bought my Pilot Metropolitan the same day I talked to my girlfriends!! That one is staying at work on my desk!

Then I went on to the Faber Castell Loom (well I am a Weaver, so ...duh! lol) and I am German, so thought good choice! Didn't know I was going to fall in love!! lol
Then I saw Zebra disposables, and thought, well that is kind of fun! Then I heard neighborhood grocery store Meijer's had Pilot pens...couldn't resist a look see! Got the Pilot MR!!
Then saw glass pen by Rohrer & Klingner...well, had to try a glass pen to sample inks, didn't I?? Unfortunately my order is in the Netherlands right now, waiting for plane to get here! :(

Then my husband turned a gorgeous exotic wood to make me a dip pen!!

Also bought the Art of Cursive Penmanship by Michael Sull

I think I falling down a Rabbit hole??? lol

Happy writing!!

azkid
June 10th, 2020, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the madness. :D Sounds like a great start down the rabbit hole indeed. Hey at least it's more compact than collecting typewriters (my prior folly).

VertOlive
June 10th, 2020, 01:24 PM
Welcome, enjoy the ride!

jar
June 10th, 2020, 02:14 PM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

welch
June 10th, 2020, 02:38 PM
Welcome!!

I suggest you get a Parker 45 from EBay. They run around $25, give or take a few dollars, unless someone thinks a 45 is a precious antique just because Parker sold the first one in 1960. The P-45 is so good that Parker continued to make them until about 2006. It outlasted and outsold any of the pens that Parker wanted to succeed it. The 45 just kept selling. Why? Probably because they are simple and beautiful. Everything unscrews easily. You can swap parts around. Parker 45 nibs come in a unit that can unscrew, so it's easy to replace a nib. Parker converters and cartridges will fit any Parker 45, or its upscale sibling, the Parker 75, or the 75's replacement, the Sonnet.

These things just work, and buying a couple will not cut into money you might want for weaving supplies.

Anne
June 10th, 2020, 07:29 PM
Welcome:)

Wahl
June 11th, 2020, 12:22 PM
:welcome:

Deb
June 11th, 2020, 12:27 PM
Nice to have your own unique dip pen! Welcome to FPG.

countrydirt
June 13th, 2020, 08:49 PM
Welcome!

Morgaine
June 14th, 2020, 11:16 AM
Hello and welcome

Chrissy
June 14th, 2020, 03:11 PM
Welcome. :)

Dogma1957
July 3rd, 2020, 01:06 PM
Wales...…..so sad....want to go to UK so VERY BAD!! But hate to fly!! :(
Closest I get is that I spend any TV time watching British shows!
Is there any UK pens you can suggest for me to buy? The pens I have started with are from Germany- Faber Castell and Pelikan

Maybe if they build bridge somewhere I will be able to do Road Trip to Wales, Ireland, England and the Shetland Isles!! :)

Dogma1957
July 3rd, 2020, 01:08 PM
Hi Chrissy! Thanks for the welcome! Just sent Morgaine a response since I saw Wales on that profile!! lol
Love everything UK/British!
Any pens you can recommend from UK?

Cheers!

Bisquitlips
July 16th, 2020, 10:58 AM
Welcome!!! :welcome: