PDA

View Full Version : Miami Pen show, July 12-14

spotted and speckled
June 29th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Anyone else going?

pencils+pens
June 29th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I'm going to try and make it. The Much Better Half, who doesn't use FPs, wants to go. I think I may be in trouble.

Tracy Lee
June 29th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Love pens, hate Miami. It is only a 3 hour drive but I bought a plane ticket to the DC pen show instead. I have been down once, it was a good show. Enjoy!!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

spotted and speckled
July 8th, 2013, 08:54 PM
The countdown has begun.

4 more days until it starts.

spotted and speckled
July 10th, 2013, 05:09 PM
I wrote Bert this morning and asked him about the missing vendor list. He relayed me to Adam, who works for him. Adam sent me this message:

Hello everyone!
We are excited to bring you the Miami Pen Show 2013! This year should prove to be exciting as we have a great cast of people ready to sell you pens! In case you are wondering who is coming to the show, here they are: David Sliber, Ryan Krusac, Steve Mandell, Roger Cromwell, Eddie DJ, Dennis Blaine, Sid Saperstein, Patrick Sikes, Steve Corn, Bert Oser, Lee Chait, Bill Weakley, Martin Ferguson, Ken Jones, Jimmy Dolive, Tyler Thompson, Paul Erano, Engraveably Your, Ron Bedenis, Paul Klaus, Francis Meinhardt, Bob Nurin, Lisa and Brian Anderson, Steve Mandell, John Dion, Susan Wirth, James Rouse, Sam Marshall. And we will be featuring a calligraphy class with Deborah Basel! With a crowd this awesome, you are sure to find the pens you want! For more information, check out the site: http://www.miamipenshow.com/index.html And feel free to call/email bert@bertramsinkwell.com with any questions.

pencils+pens
July 12th, 2013, 08:39 PM
I went this morning. My wife and I took the Tri Rail and then Miami Metro Rail to the hotel. The cost for both of us was less than $30 roundtrip; the gas alone would have been more.

Last year, attendees got a free shopping bag going in the door. This year each attendee got a 1 oz bottle of Studio Arts South Beach Blue. This is a limited edition ink and each bottle is numbered. I don't know how many bottle there are. I have number 247 and 249. Since my wife doesn't use fountain pens, she gave me her bottle.

We ogled a lot of pens. There were several custom pen makers there and my wife really liked their work. Unfortunately, the prices were well above anything I thought she would let me spend. Then we got to the Anderson Pen table. Lisa was great about explaining some fountain pen lore and terminology to my wife. My wife got a kick out of trying some pens. Lisa even let my wife borrow her own pen. My wife doesn't touch my pens for some reason. I offered them to her on several occasions and she always refuses. I think she is afraid of breaking mine and the show gave her a chance to see what the fun was.

While all of that was going on, I spotted a rack of Sheaffers on their table and one was blue. That is a deadly combination for me. All the pens in the rack were medium but Brian dug thru the bins and found a blue Sheaffer 100 with a fine nib. They also found an inked sampler pen of the small color and nib for me to try. My wife didn't even bat an eye when I broke out the credit card.

The fun part was when I explained to my wife that Brian and Lisa were often guests with the guy "with the funny music" on an internet program. Lisa guessed I watch FP Geeks TV and the guy "with the funny music" is SBRE Brown. My wife calls him that since all she can hear from the other rooms in the house is the intro music to the YouTube videos.

My wife had a nice conversation with the guy from Wahl-Eversharp. I just ogled pens.

On the way out the door I bought a bottle of Lamy Blue from Bert's Inkwell.

My wife really enjoyed the day and as "they" say - "if "she is having a good time then everybody is having a good time".

When I got home I flushed the Sheaffer. Even though it is new, I flush every pen when I bring it home. Tomorrow it will be inked with the Studio Arts ink. I decided to use one bottle and save the other (for now).

spotted and speckled
July 13th, 2013, 03:03 PM
I went friday & today. Yesterday was ink & paper day, had Martin Ferguson fix a few pens, and I scoped out the pen situation prior to pulling out the wallet. Today I bought a Monteverda Intima in Neon Pink from the Andersons, and a Bexley Poseidon in Mahogany from Sam Marshall. Pendleton Brown did his magic on both the nibs. Got a few extra nibs from Bob Nurin and Carl Seidl--now to find pens to put them in! Talked to lot of folks, but the highlight was talking to Sam Marshall about his personal pen collection and how he got the parts to put one pen in particular together. He made the whole room brighter while he was talking about his pens, he was just glowing.

I talked to Bert about a bunch of stuff, one of the things being the lateness of the website update. Seems the guy who had been doing their websites left and took the passcodes with him. Bert had to get to the server people (hey, you can tell computers are not my forte, but you know what I'm talking about!) to convince them he was the rightful owner and then get the codes from them He says the website for next year will be updated in the next few weeks. He already signed the contract for the same hotel for the 14-15th weekend of July, and already has some vendor commitments.

Pictures I took using my trusty phone: http://www.flickr.com/photos/52211876@N00/sets/72157634627627932/

Tracy Lee
July 13th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Thank you so much for posting great pictures. Looks like a well attended gathering there.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

jacksterp
July 13th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Virginia - lots of nice pictures. Looks as if everyone is having a good time.

Thanks for taking the time to post these!

earthdawn
July 13th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Virginia.. THANK YOU for taking the pics and videos and sharing them!

Looks like a lot of great vendors were there.

Sounds like you had a great day there.

@ pencils+pens Since you got to hang with the Andersons did you get a chance to handle the new Edison Pearlette ???
Lisa and Brian are great aren't they? I saw them at the Long Island show and what a pleasure to meet them.

pencils+pens
July 14th, 2013, 07:44 AM
@ pencils+pens Since you got to hang with the Andersons did you get a chance to handle the new Edison Pearlette ???
Lisa and Brian are great aren't they?

I didn't handle that one - it was probably out of my price range.

Does anyone remember the name of the custom pen turner who was to the right side of the main door as you exited? He had some really nice pens, some with custom scrimshaw. I forgot to get his card/name/web address.

earthdawn
July 14th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Does anyone remember the name of the custom pen turner who was to the right side of the main door as you exited? He had some really nice pens, some with custom scrimshaw. I forgot to get his card/name/web address.

Look through spotted and speckled's pics in the link above. If you see even a hint fo the table or person etc... post a link to the pic. Someone here will know for sure.

pencils+pens
July 14th, 2013, 06:49 PM

Look through spotted and speckled's pics in the link above. If you see even a hint fo the table or person etc... post a link to the pic. Someone here will know for sure.

Great suggestion!

Picture 7 12 13 012 - second to last row, picture on the right

In the foreground is the Wahl-Eversharp guy. The guy in the background is the one whose name I am looking for.

Tracy Lee
July 14th, 2013, 07:22 PM
If no one here is successful, try to download the photo or have her email it to you and then send it to Bert Oser at Bertram's Inkwell and ask him. He put it all together and can tell you who sat where.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

fpquest
July 14th, 2013, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=earthdawn;38637][COLOR="#0000FF"]
It's Ryan Krusac from Ryan Krusac Studios.

earthdawn
July 14th, 2013, 07:54 PM
It's Ryan Krusac from Ryan Krusac Studios.

Well played... i thought either him or Patrick Sikes from Norsk Woodshop