PDA

View Full Version : Nakaya Chinkoku Housuge Shu Writer

quinden
June 29th, 2013, 01:06 PM
As promised, here's another of my grail pens :)

I think I fell in love with this pen when I saw the Cigar (clipless) model of Leigh Reyes - if you have never gone to her site, you should! She has amazing artistic skills, as well as great penmanship.

To achieve this look, the artisan carves into the urushi surface, and then rubs a mixture of urushi + charcoal (sumi) over the surface. Once they remove the sumi from the surface, it stays in the carvings.

I chose a soft fine for this pen, and it is amazing! It is softer than the other two soft fines I have, but I would still rate it as less flexible than a vintage flexer (the only one I have is a Waterman's 0552 1/2 V).

In the above, you can see the similarity of the base color of the Housuge Shu to the unpolished Shu (Shu-nurippanashi).

A rough and amateurish size comparison with a Parker Duofold Centennial - the Housuge Shu is shorter, but I believe the grip section is ever-so-slightly wider (.41 inches to .4 inches, according to nibs.com). The Nakaya is also lighter.

Here's a writing sample. I purchased this pen from John Mottishaw & company, and I'm very happy! It's smooth and responsive. Looking at this writing sample, I wish I had refrained from that third cup of coffee this morning :)

reprieve
June 29th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Your photos are fantastic, and the pen is stunning! I have the cigar versions in both shu and kikyo, and they are indeed grail pens--they live in my "keep forever" pen box when they aren't inked and in my hand.

I think Nakaya's soft nibs vary a lot in their softness. I have an SF nib that is only marginally softer than the regular "hard" nibs, while my SM nib is near-vintage semi-flex. I do quite like the cushioned, bouncy feel of the soft nibs.

quinden
June 29th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Thanks, reprieve :)

I totally agree on the variance. My plated SF is bouncy, but nothing like this. My other unplated SF is in between the two extremes.

Robert
June 29th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Your "normal" writing style is wonderful - - I wish mine were 1/2 as nice!

quinden
June 29th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Thanks, Robert!

People like Leigh and Manny are my inspirations :)

earthdawn
June 29th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Beautiful pen !!!!

Beautiful pictures

Seems a couple of people just got their Chinkoku Housuge Shu pens in this week.

Big congrats... enjoy it and love it.

quinden
June 30th, 2013, 05:49 AM
earthdawn, it's true - the housuges are falling out of the sky :)

I just happened to be lucky enough to catch one!

peterpen53
June 30th, 2013, 04:18 PM
earthdawn, it's true - the housuges are falling out of the sky :)

I just happened to be lucky enough to catch one!

Since we are having a cloudless sky at the moment (which isn't at all bad for a Dutch summer) I'm out of luck as usual.
But never mind, that is a remarkable pen, Quinden. I was wondering about the technique you mention. Can you still feel the carvings or are they filled up flush with the body of the pen? Your pictures really convey a sense of depth.
It's great to see your wonderful handwriting again. And I too have some of Leigh's videos bookmarked in my YouTube favourites.

Cheers,
Peter

quinden
June 30th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Peter, thanks so much!

You can definitely feel the carvings; it is a marvelous tactile experience :-)