PDA

View Full Version : Kaweco inks now available in bottles!

Scrib
June 30th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Using InCoWriMo and Eric's list of eager participants as a prompt, I decided to write to Michael Gutberlet, the CEO of Kaweco, to ask if Kaweco plans on bringing out its inks in bottle form. I was really pleased to hear back from him, and to learn that there would probably be bottles available as of autumn this year. Imagine then my surprise -- while browsing to see if my TWSBI 'dealer' in Austria has the TWSBI notebooks and Micarta v2 -- to discover that bottles of Kaweco ink are already available now, in June!

The entire range of colours already known in cartridge form is available. The price seems to be around 10.90 € per 30 ml. The inks aren't yet listed at Kaweco's website, but those of you itching to get your hands on a bottle (or several... or the entire range Azizah?) and can't wait until your ink supplier has them, can always order some here:

http://tintenroller.at/index.php?language=en&cat=c58_Zubehoer-Zubehoer.html&cPath=17_58&

For those of you who are interested, here's a list of various international fairs that Kaweco retailers will be frequenting. Unfortunately it's not been translated into English yet. If anyone needs help with translating the German into English feel free to ask :)

http://www.kaweco-pen.com/de/Info/messen/

snedwos
June 30th, 2013, 08:11 AM
€10.90 for 30ml?! I think I'll be giving them a miss... That's almost luxury ink price.

Perspective: an 80ml bottle of Diamine costs €7. For the Kaweco ink to cost 3 times as much, it would have to be spectacular.

jacksterp
June 30th, 2013, 08:20 AM
I'm drowning in ink - not that it matters. But 10.90€ per 30ml puts them in Iroshizuku's range.

They better be "magical" inks.

AndyT
June 30th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Perspective: an 80ml bottle of Diamine costs €7. For the Kaweco ink to cost 3 times as much, it would have to be spectacular.

Yes, I use Diamine as a benchmark too. In UK terms Kaweco's pricing makes it a little cheaper than Sailor Sei Boku or Caran d'Ache per ml, but more expensive than say Edelstein or Herbin 1670, both of which I'd class as luxury products. This had better be good ...

CapeClear
July 5th, 2013, 04:51 AM
I'd love a bottle of purple, my favourite Kaweco ink, but they are seriously having a laugh with the price! Even by European standards that is insane. Bizarre decision.

picautomaton
July 5th, 2013, 05:03 AM
It's about time. I use Kaweco Sepia cartridges and like the color very much.

79spitfire
July 7th, 2013, 10:17 AM
$14 for 30ml? After shipping that comes out to over .50c a ml. That's Iroshizuku, type pricing (.56 ml), De Atramentis is 12.50 for 35ml, or .36c ml (Plus shipping, of course) :crazy_pilot:

Anyway, the couple of Kaweco carts I used up worked well, but it looked similar to Pelikan blue. (I haven't used the sepia) Does Kaweko make their own inks? If they don't, who makes the ink for them, and is it a special blend?

It's also likely the price will come down after they begin distributing them in other countries. Euopean taxes are included at 20%

Margana
July 12th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Now that there is a converter for the Sport, a Kaweco bottled ink makes sense.