PDA

View Full Version : Help verifying authenticity of good sample from early 1980's

Wmundstock
June 20th, 2020, 10:05 AM
Hi All.
This is my first post on this forum. I was hoping people more experienced than me could help me validate authenticity of what seems to be a great sample of early 1980's of Meisterstuck 146.

In general it looks authentic even with some "patina" in the nib which doesn't look like it was used a lot.

What bugs me is the sticker on the side saying :"M \n W Germany". Too new to be truth?
The boxing is also interesting and seems legit, given that Varig was an important air company in brazil in the 1980's.

Some pictures...

Nib looks weird, but could that be just "patina"?
Zoom on the ring.
Nib from its back
Sticker:
Full pen:
Box Pics:

Any feedback is greatly appretiated!
Best regards!
Walter

jar
June 20th, 2020, 11:09 AM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. It's impossible to verify authenticity from pictures but what you have posted looks like pretty normal airline or Duty Free packaging.

Wmundstock
June 20th, 2020, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the reply Jar!

It's impossible to verify authenticity from pictures

Of course, completely understand. Just wanted another set of eyes checking for leads indicating a fake.
Dutyfree was a great hunch too!

Thanks!
Walter

guyy
June 20th, 2020, 12:39 PM
14k, split ebonite and the trumpet section? I would say mid eighties for that pen. W Germany sounds right.

AzJon
June 20th, 2020, 01:23 PM
Looks like mine. IIRC, that blue ink window with a monotone nib puts it right around 1987-89

guyy
June 20th, 2020, 02:09 PM
I’m seeing a striped window which would put it at the tail end of the 14k nib era, right about the time reunification.

Chrissy
June 20th, 2020, 02:27 PM
I’m seeing a striped window which would put it at the tail end of the 14k nib era, right about the time reunification.
I don't see a striped clear window but there is a slight reflection in the blue ink window on the pictured pen.
I believe it is an authentic Montblanc Meisterstück 146 in typical duty free packaging from somewhere between 1985 and 1989 when the Berlin wall came down.
The nib just needs a quick rub with a gold cloth to get it's shine back. :)

guyy
June 20th, 2020, 02:47 PM
It’s definitely striped if you zoom. There’s dried ink in there or the photo is just too dark to see the clear parts.

Blue ink windows were very late 1950s and a few odd pens supposedly produced in the 1960s and possibly right after the revival.

Chrissy
June 20th, 2020, 03:07 PM
It’s definitely striped if you zoom. There’s dried ink in there or the photo is just too dark to see the clear parts.

Blue ink windows were very late 1950s and a few odd pens supposedly produced in the 1960s and possibly right after the revival.
All I can say is I'm fully zoomed in on my large iMac screen and this blue ink window is nothing like all of my clear striped ones. But mine are all after reunification. None of my feeds are like that and none of my nibs are monotone either.

FredRydr
June 20th, 2020, 03:08 PM
See: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GhjNqcZwmrFJMyS7sn9A517VQQxDPbotERorBwRqMgI/edit#gid=0

Chrissy
June 20th, 2020, 03:12 PM
See: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GhjNqcZwmrFJMyS7sn9A517VQQxDPbotERorBwRqMgI/edit#gid=0

Thanks. OK I'll vote for what they call grey solid rather than pale blue in that case. :)

guyy
June 20th, 2020, 03:18 PM
149 striped windows look like this when they have dried ink in them.

carlos.q
June 20th, 2020, 03:47 PM
I must be going blind. I don't see a striped window or a blue window. I see a grey window.... :jester:

Wmundstock
June 20th, 2020, 04:51 PM
Wow, I'm impressed with the number of replies. Thank you so much for sharing the experience. I've had a couple of montblancs but definitely not experienced with them.
So I was wrong, its more likely its mid/late 1980's which still make sense to me.

Other than packaging, is there any difference on a duty free version from a regular one?

//I don't think its a striped window, it seems like a plain blue/grey'ish window (below a couple more pictures).
I don't think its a striped window, it seems like a plain grey window (below a couple more pictures).

Note: Had to edit this... after searching for what a blue ink window looks like, this is definitely grey...

In a leap of faith (some could call impulse) I bought it. Two montblancs 146, both same age: one supposed to be used a couple of times; the other not used (never inked). Only one has the box and the leather pocket.
I bought them online and will be able to return them if not happy.

To be honest, I was searching for a 149 but the price was too good to let it go.

I will post more pictures when I get my hands on them.

Couple more pictures below:

Thank you very much!
Best regards!
Walter

Wmundstock
June 20th, 2020, 04:59 PM

Thanks for sharing FredRydr, this is an fantastic resource!
Helping me date my other 146 also bought used.

Chrissy
June 20th, 2020, 11:19 PM
The only difference between this pen and one purchased from a boutique is the duty free version of it's packaging. :)

You didn't say if the piston threads were black plastic or brass. They should be black plastic on a pen of this era. :)

Wmundstock
June 21st, 2020, 06:14 AM
The only difference between this pen and one purchased from a boutique is the duty free version of it's packaging. :)

Great, thanks! I was afraid they could go cheap on these models.

You didn't say if the piston threads were black plastic or brass. They should be black plastic on a pen of this era. :)

I did not get any pictures of the piston threads. I will post pictures when I receive the pens.

Thank you!
Walter

AzJon
June 21st, 2020, 10:38 AM

I did not get any pictures of the piston threads. I will post pictures when I receive the pens.

Thank you!
Walter

You'll be able to tell from the weight, honestly. The brass piston adds a lot of heft to the pen. The plastic one is very light in comparison.

Wmundstock
June 26th, 2020, 03:23 PM
The pens arrived today. First one (in the box) is really brand new. I can't tell for sure but seems like it was never or barely used.
Second one is as good as the first, but someone (I cried a little bit when I saw) unscrewed the piston so strong that it broke. Whoever did this really didn't know how to handle a piston filled pen.

Seller did not tell me because I think she did not know.

Well, turns out that I will keep the pens anyway, because they really look awesome. I will replace the screw and think about what to do. I bought these pens because I thought the price was good, I plan to seel them and get a 149...

Best regards.
Walter

jar
June 26th, 2020, 03:31 PM
IIRC that piston really looks both wrong for the period and also incorrectly installed. I would have expected a plastic piston mechanism and that still doesn't look right. I'd really consider sending that one back.

Wmundstock
June 26th, 2020, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=Wmundstock;294021]
You'll be able to tell from the weight, honestly. The brass piston adds a lot of heft to the pen. The plastic one is very light in comparison.

I'm confused about the mixed information I'm getting.

I'm using this: This link (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GhjNqcZwmrFJMyS7sn9A517VQQxDPbotERorBwRqMgI/edit#gid=0) for finding the dates.

Let me describe the newly arrived pens (both share same settings):

1. Nib is monotone gold.
2. Nib holes are 12/6 or top/bottom
3. Ink window is clear (looks like gray)
4. Piston screw is plastic.
5. Clip Engraving W-Germany / no serial number
6. Brand Engraving says Montblanc Meisterstuck N 146

So to me, that puts the pen between 1980 and 1984.

Conflicts are:
- Nib Holes (Top and bottom) they should be left and right. I think the source is incorrect, its the other way around as my newer pen do have left and right.

My Newer pen is:
1. Nib is 2-tone
2. Nib holes are left and right (9/3)
3. Ink window striped
4. Piston is plastic
5. Clip Engraving says Germany and has serial number
6. Brand engraving says Montblanc Meisterstuck
7. No pix under clip

To me that puts the pen in 1995 and 96.

Conflict are:
- Piston Screw - either the pen was modified (replacing a brass screw with a plastic? Why would someone do that?) or the source is incorrect.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Walter

jar
June 26th, 2020, 04:57 PM
The whole piston mechanism was plastic with a brass collar. The threads that extended between the collar and the cap were a black plastic.

Like I said, I'm old and sold all of my 146s from that relative era and so working from memory but IIRC the 70-80 146 piston was like the top example in this image.

I wish I could remember who actually took these pictures and credit them but I fear this was sent to me some many years ago and unfortunately I've forgotten.

Chrissy
June 27th, 2020, 12:05 AM
Various differences can appear on Montblanc pens by various services during it's lifetime. Even when brand new, Montblanc used up parts that they already had, especially around the time of reunification.
Don't worry about insignificant differences between your pens and a chart.
If they write and you like them then they are perfectly fine. :)

pajaro
June 27th, 2020, 01:20 PM
This pen looks like the 146 I bought from Fahrney's in 1983.

Wmundstock
July 3rd, 2020, 10:24 AM
Okay, time to share more thoughts...
After a few days I was able to fix the broken screw in one of the 146's from the package.
Originally I bought these pens to fix and sell to make funds for a 149 which is in my wish list. The problem is that I'm now in love with the 2 extra 146s :)

I already had one 146 from 1990's and now added these 2 1980's and they all have different characteristics and easthetics. Turns out that seems like the broken one was actually a fine nib, which I really wanted for quite a while.

1980's with Medium nib is very very wet and veeery smooth with little feedback.
1980's with a FINE NIB! It writes a much thinner line, with much more feedback - both characteristics I like a lot.
1990's is in the middle, with a little bit thinner line in comparison with the Medium Nib from 80's. Also has a bit more feedback.

Sample writing for each pen:

The pens from 80's are also 3 grams heavier, which I do like too.

What you all think? I paid around 300 USD (including the part to fix the broken screw) for both pens. I've seen 146's in worse shape selling for more EACH.
Thoughts?

Can you tell there is a difference to the nib just by looking at a side by side picture?
To me they both seem the same nib. Maybe its just a performance difference and they are both M nibs?

Well, the bottom line, then, is: I'm not good at making money ouf of pens because I want to keep them all. :)

Best regards.
Walter

carlos.q
July 3rd, 2020, 10:34 AM
It happens to the best of us... I have some pens I should really sell but somehow I never get around to it. :wink: