PDA

View Full Version : The Balance That Wasn't?

Jeph
June 30th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Disclaimer: I am clueless and taking pictures of pens is much harder than you guys make it look.

I recently bought this Sheaffer vacuum filler at an antique store. To show how little I know, I thought that it was a Craftsman when I bought it. Looking at reference material, it looks to be a Balance, but there is no white dot, the size and colors are wrong and all of the blances that I see referenced are lever fillers.

The length is 4 5/8" and the girth is 13/32".

The barrel is stamped only with the normal
W.A. SHEAFFER PEN CO.
FORT MADISON, IOWA, U.S.A.
MADE IN U.S.A.

The color appears to be caramine striated and portions of the center of the barrel do show light passing through.

The clip reads SHEAFFER'S with the script S at the beginning and the script S as an extension of the R at the end.
The clip looks like the '34/'35 flattened ball on the balance.
There is a thru hole drilled in the cap perpindicular to the clip.

The nib has a heart shaped breather hole and reads
SHEAFFER'S
MADE IN U.S.A.

So, if it not a Balance, what is it? I indend to use this a daily writer so the value itself is not particularly important, but I do want to know what to call it when people ask.

I have not started claning this one up yet, but here are some pictures.

dr.grace
June 30th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I believe it's a junior-grade Balance. The less expensive line did not have white dots or two-toned nibs. Still, this is a beautiful pen. Do you know how to repair Sheaffer vac-fillers? If not, I'd suggest sending it off to someone who uses the proper repair method.

spotted and speckled
June 30th, 2013, 01:42 PM
http://www.vacumania.com/websitesales/forsalesheafferearly.htm

Looks like the same pen, towards the bottom of the page. Carmine Celluloid, Standard Size, Plunger Fill Balance.

dr.grace
June 30th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Similar pen, definitely, but this one does not have the Lifetime nib, so I still believe it is a junior model.

snedwos
June 30th, 2013, 06:01 PM
A #3 size nib also suggests Junior. The full size balances had bigger nibs, didn't they?

dr.grace
June 30th, 2013, 06:21 PM
I have several of these pens in the standard size white-dot version, and they have the Lifetime, two-tone nibs. I don't know if they're necessarily much larger than the junior version, however. They're great pens, but the vac-filler mechanisms are not so easy to restore.

snedwos
June 30th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Balance is next on my vintage list, but yeah, preferably a lever-filler.

david i
June 30th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Hi,

It is a Sheaffer Balance. A third tier Balance dating to around 1939-1941. It is a step above the Junior (4th tier) which would have chrome trim and a Sheaffer Junior nib. Note that restoration of plunger-fill pens tends to be... challenging.

regards

david

david i
June 30th, 2013, 10:06 PM
I have several of these pens in the standard size white-dot version, and they have the Lifetime, two-tone nibs. I don't know if they're necessarily much larger than the junior version, however. They're great pens, but the vac-filler mechanisms are not so easy to restore.

Hi,

Balance is a series for which size doesn't... always... matter.

Some sizes of Balance offer at least 4 tiers of pen (five perhaps, counting the prestige solid-gold-trim pens). There are larger models that are lower-tier (based on trim, nib, price) than some of the smaller pens. Fun series. Balance is one of my best selling old pens... for good reason.

regards

daivd

Jeph
July 1st, 2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks for all of the informative replies.
I measured the girth today with calibrated micrometers and got a consistent .410 which is pretty close to my old eyes and ruler measurement of 13/32 (.406)
So length uncapped 4 5/8", capped 5 1/2", and girth is .410.

I guess that would be closest to a short, skinny third tier lady balance from 39-41?

That is still pretty cool. I cleaned it out and the vacuum fill still works reasonably well, although if I were to get serious about using it I would send it off to get restored. Unfortunately, that puts it a little beyond a daily user although I do like the way that that it looks. While writing this I decided to dip it and it writes very well as found also. So it is definately a keeper, just now it will have to sit in a box for some special occasion. Damn, now that means that I need a box!

This is getting out of hand but it still is fun. Thank you all very much for the help.

Edit: I just realized that I might be using the wrong length for comparison, using the uncapped instead of capped. Capped it would be a slightly long full length slender girth? That might make more sense.
So a third tier slender balance from 39-41 would be most accurate? I would be happy with that as well.

kirchh
July 1st, 2013, 10:48 AM
To clarify the naming, It's a Craftsman model from the Balance family.

--Daniel

david i
July 1st, 2013, 12:26 PM
For those who like Balance, we're playing with generating a Balance Timeline over at Fountain Pen Board. I have been a tad lax in updating it. I should have some Profiles available soon, too, at Vacumania.

Balance Timeline

http://www.fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2992-sheaffer-balance-comprehensive-timeline-heeeelllp/

regards

david

Jeph
July 15th, 2013, 02:41 PM
...Note that restoration of plunger-fill pens tends to be... challenging.

I just watched some webcam footage of the repair of a few Sheaffer Vac-fill pens (and some others) on Pentiques.com. I see what you mean!
That is not something that I will be trying.

...Not anytime soon, anyway.