PDA

View Full Version : Parker Penman Sapphire (Photo Heavy!)

attika89
June 30th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Hi everyone!
This is my review of the Parker Penman Sapphire.
Unique? Hard to find a substitute? One thing is for sure...it is discontinued

http://www.kephost.com/images4/2013/6/30/a1_2013_6_30_8ldpgj1ixl.jpg
http://www.kephost.com/images4/2013/6/30/a1_2013_6_30_z609d57jez.jpg
http://www.kephost.com/images4/2013/6/30/a1_2013_6_30_2y9z4gpzll.jpg
http://www.kephost.com/images4/2013/6/30/a1_2013_6_30_74yq0vb4da.jpg
http://www.kephost.com/images4/2013/6/30/a1_2013_6_30_fwatvya4dc.jpg
http://www.kephost.com/images4/2013/6/30/a1_2013_6_30_iqkiuxa4nf.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3816/9178789912_cea458e3fa_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sultati/9178789912/lightbox/)

jacksterp
June 30th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Why in the world was this discontinued?

Why in the world did you have to post this review?

What a magnificent ink!

Thanks for the beautiful example.

GourmetPens
June 30th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Dangit. I was perfectly content not having any of this... until I saw your review. This is just torture. Now I have to find some!!!

Laura N
June 30th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Boy, from those excellent pictures, Penman Sapphire looks a lot like Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue. Which is a great-looking ink, but very temperamental, so I use it in cartridges.

Maybe this will rise again someday as a super-premium ink, ala Pilot Iroshizuku or Pelikan Edelstein.

Jon Szanto
June 30th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Yes, it is a very nice ink. It isn't as nice as what it goes for on the auction sites these days, but that is how the world turns.

attika89
July 1st, 2013, 12:43 AM
Thank you everyone! I'm happy you like it :wave:

Boy, from those excellent pictures, Penman Sapphire looks a lot like Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue. Which is a great-looking ink, but very temperamental, so I use it in cartridges.

Maybe this will rise again someday as a super-premium ink, ala Pilot Iroshizuku or Pelikan Edelstein.

I've read they are close to each other, but I haven't tried the Supershow blue yet. For me if an ink has a sheen it sold for me :p
It would be nice to see it back, that is for sure.

Yes, it is a very nice ink. It isn't as nice as what it goes for on the auction sites these days, but that is how the world turns.

Oh yes! The prices can go insane on these...even $80-$100 :crazy:

earthdawn
July 1st, 2013, 01:17 AM
Great review

Beautiful pics

And now an ink I must aquire !!!

Really an excellent review. Thanks for taking the time to document this ink so well and sharing it with us.

LOL.. I found a bottle for sale
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-Penman-Sapphire-Ink-/121131569086?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c34010fbe

The Good Captain
July 1st, 2013, 04:18 AM
I just see an ink somewhere around Diamine Majestic Blue, Diamine Sargasso Sea, Akkerman Shocking Blue and Sailor Jentle Blue. AND I can get all four for less than the amount that PS is going for these days. A LOT less.
But of course, it's just a matter of personal taste, after all.

attika89
July 1st, 2013, 05:04 AM
Dangit. I was perfectly content not having any of this... until I saw your review. This is just torture. Now I have to find some!!!
I might be able to help you with that.

Great review

Beautiful pics

Really an excellent review. Thanks for taking the time to document this ink so well and sharing it with us.

Thank you :)

I just see an ink somewhere around Diamine Majestic Blue, Diamine Sargasso Sea, Akkerman Shocking Blue and Sailor Jentle Blue. AND I can get all four for less than the amount that PS is going for these days. A LOT less.

I would not have bought it at those prices you see these days, but for less than the price of a Sailor Jentle ink it is pretty good I think :p

whych
July 1st, 2013, 05:29 AM
But none of them come anywhere close to the Penman Sapphire ink in colour or shading. ;)
It is one of those inks that once you have used it for a while you won't accept substitutes (as the advert goes).
Of course, you could spend a small fortune on all the inks people say are similar or substitutes and find none of them even comes close.

Just to mention - I don't often use blue, but Penman Sapphire is one that could make me change my mind.

KrazyIvan
July 1st, 2013, 10:31 AM
Am I the only one that can only see the last picture of the ink bottle? The rest are broken images for me.

Jon Szanto
July 1st, 2013, 10:47 AM
They all work for me, Ivan.

whych
July 1st, 2013, 11:08 AM
Try refreshing the page - there are a few pictures, so they may take longer to all load.

KrazyIvan
July 1st, 2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys. I figured it out. The firewall here is blocking them. The last image is the only one hosted on Flickr.

AndyLa
July 1st, 2013, 12:01 PM
I snatched up quite a bit of carts when there was a mass sale on eBay a few years ago. I have yet to find another blue to match this- I've gone through a bunch of private reserves, diamines, Noodler's, ect... But nothing can quite match it. Ive long stopped trying. I'll often gift a couple of carts when I sell/trade a pen as a surprise so others can try it out.

reprieve
July 1st, 2013, 03:25 PM
I've received a letter written with Penman Sapphire before, and it is indeed a beautifully vibrant blue. I use DC Supershow Blue as a substitute (which I agree is close but not the same--but is perfectly acceptable for me as it is cheap and easily available and it has nice shading and a nice sheen). If I ever have the opportunity, I will snap up a bottle of Penman Sapphire without hesitation, but I won't be heartbroken if it never happens. MB Racing Green on the other hand... thank goodness I have a healthy stash of that!

Laura N
July 1st, 2013, 06:35 PM
I've received a letter written with Penman Sapphire before, and it is indeed a beautifully vibrant blue. I use DC Supershow Blue as a substitute (which I agree is close but not the same--but is perfectly acceptable for me as it is cheap and easily available and it has nice shading and a nice sheen). If I ever have the opportunity, I will snap up a bottle of Penman Sapphire without hesitation, but I won't be heartbroken if it never happens. MB Racing Green on the other hand... thank goodness I have a healthy stash of that!

Thank you. It's very helpful to hear from someone who has seen both.

Alas two inks will never be totally alike, but I'm usually okay with reasonable substitutions.

whych
July 2nd, 2013, 12:49 AM
I'll often gift a couple of carts when I sell/trade a pen as a surprise so others can try it out.
Sadist!
So you have all these poor unsuspecting suckers hooked on trying to find PPS or an equivalent ;)

KrazyIvan
July 2nd, 2013, 08:32 AM
Am I the only one that can only see the last picture of the ink bottle? The rest are broken images for me.

It also looks like my home firewall is blocking the images.

Jon Szanto
July 2nd, 2013, 09:52 AM

So, do you feel, like, Extra-Safe?

KrazyIvan
July 2nd, 2013, 10:00 AM

So, do you feel, like, Extra-Safe?

Yes I do but I can always do more to lock down my home network.

thagbert
July 7th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Great review

Beautiful pics

LOL.. I found a bottle for sale
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-Penman-Sapphire-Ink-/121131569086?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c34010fbe

That sucker sold for an $140!!!

bleair
October 20th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I doubt customer feedback makes one iota of difference... but the Parker website does have a feedback form.

It's easy to enter a brief message telling them they really ought to bring back PPS (and the other Penman inks) in some form or another.
http://www.parkerpen.com/en-US/contact-us

kaisnowbird
October 20th, 2013, 03:27 PM

Oh yes! The prices can go insane on these...even $80-$100 :crazy:

And somehow Lisa Anderson has managed to have a stash of PPS and continues to acquire more at unreasonably good prices. :help:

Newjelan
October 25th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Oh wow, what a stunning ink. Now I know what all the fuss is about. It does remind me of my current favourite blue - Diamine Majestic Blue.

The Good Captain
October 25th, 2013, 02:10 AM
It does remind me of my current favourite blue - Diamine Majestic Blue.
Exactly! Along with Akkerman Shocking Blue, a fantastic ink. Why can't people just enjoy what is plentifully available and stop moaning about 'the past'?
Pretty soon, people might start 'missing' black & white TV; black powder; freedom of speech and all that sort of stuff.
Also, I wonder when those that bought all of the R&K LE Blue-Black will realise that it wasn't anything really special after all?

Pommel
October 25th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Because Penman Sapphire was a great ink, and I was / am a happy user (one bottle left).

The Good Captain
October 25th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Because Penman Sapphire was a great ink, and I was / am a happy user (one bottle left).
That's fair enough. I've only ever had experience of the Ruby and Emerald and I sold those bottles a while ago on eBay. Lucrative.

Mags
July 7th, 2014, 08:21 PM
I was gifted a pen case for displaying 20 pens which was part of the estate of my friends father and it has a pen drawer with room for 12 inks. Inside the drawer was 3/4 bottle of Parker Penman Sapphire ink. I think I was as impressed with the ink as the lovely pen case. Well not really but I was excited to finally have the unique bottle and this rare hard to find ink.

Jon Szanto
July 7th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Lucky boy!

migo984
July 8th, 2014, 04:13 AM
I was incredibly lucky. I won an estate sale Parker on the Bay and when it turned up it was accompanied by an unopened bottle of Penman Sapphire, in the box. I don't know if I should open the bottle or not........ I probably will.

Mags
July 8th, 2014, 05:44 AM
I would use it for sure migo984

whych
July 8th, 2014, 06:36 AM
Be careful though - once you have tried it, you will be hooked and suffer withdrawal symptoms when it is gone.

migo984
July 8th, 2014, 08:16 AM
I would use it for sure migo984

Be careful though - once you have tried it, you will be hooked and suffer withdrawal symptoms when it is gone.

I think I'll use it this weekend to write to a pen pal. I think it'll be perfect in my Parker with the 0.7mm journalling stub.

Austin_Malone
July 8th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I hear Diamine Midnight is a pretty close match to Parker Penman Sapphire. You might try it out. As much demand as there is across the board, you'd think bringing it back would be a no brainer for Parker.

Austin_Malone
July 8th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Personally I love Penman Toffee

Jon Szanto
July 8th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I hear Diamine Midnight is a pretty close match to Parker Penman Sapphire.

Really? I have both and they aren't at all similar. Midnight is really dark, and PS is... not.

kaisnowbird
July 9th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Personally I love Penman Toffee

Did you mean Penman Mocha?

Chrissy
July 21st, 2014, 04:50 AM
I used to use PPS when it first came out and I had a Parker pen, but I was put off when I was advised by a very good pen repairer that he had had to clean out so many pens that had seized up after having been filled with it, that he would never ink any pen with it.

In order to use PPS I think it's wise to keep your pens well maintained and don't allow them to dry out with this ink in them.

I sold all of my bottles of PPS and PPE and only have a few cartridges left. They are called Parker Penman 'New Smoother Formula' so I assume Parker slightly changed the recipe before it was discontinued.

As far as PPS is concerned, I think there are plenty of great blue inks that are every bit as good with less risk.