PDA

View Full Version : First Estie and first new sac

tscweaves
July 7th, 2020, 07:54 AM
I was in a local antique mall and singing a siren song to me was a blue Esterbrook SJ. This is my first real venture into vintage pens, as the first was a gift from my mom of my dad's Sheaffer Sentinel pen & pencil set from 1948. When I tried the lever I heard a distinct crunch of a dried out sac. I promptly ordered what I needed from Anderson Pens and tried to wait patiently for the supplies to arrive. The whole process of replacing the sac went surprisingly well considering that I have never done anything along these lines with a pen. So here it is, cleaned, new sac, and full of ink ....and somehow there is another coming later in the week😃 I think these pens might be like potato chips and I can't have too many. This pen is a deep, beautiful blue, but my camera just doesn't show its true color.

carlos.q
July 7th, 2020, 07:58 AM
Well done! :thumb:

Sailor Kenshin
July 7th, 2020, 09:11 AM
Ya did good! Love the color. And it's one I don't have.

INeedAFinancialAdvisor
July 7th, 2020, 09:16 AM
awesome :)
congrats

Chrissy
July 7th, 2020, 10:28 AM
Good job. :)

Exactly like you, I was once in an antique mall in Florida, and also saw an Esterbrook complete with it's box and original paper insert. I brought it home with me and it was the first time I ever replaced a sac in a "sacced" pen.

Deb
July 7th, 2020, 10:34 AM
Well done! That's the first step...

whych
July 7th, 2020, 05:17 PM
Nothing beats the satisfaction you get from re-saccing your first pen!

Chuck Naill
July 8th, 2020, 04:06 AM
It is fun isn't it? Vintage Esterbrook pens are exceptional and affordable writing instruments.

tscweaves
July 8th, 2020, 06:43 AM
Ya did good! Love the color. And it's one I don't have.

So far it is the only color I have, but I have no doubt that will change soon😃

tscweaves
July 8th, 2020, 06:45 AM
Good job. :)

Exactly like you, I was once in an antique mall in Florida, and also saw an Esterbrook complete with it's box and original paper insert. I brought it home with me and it was the first time I ever replaced a sac in a "sacced" pen.

It was quite satisfying to go through the process and I do believe that it will lead to a larger herd😀

tscweaves
July 8th, 2020, 06:46 AM
Nothing beats the satisfaction you get from re-saccing your first pen!

You are right! It felt good😀

Chuck Naill
July 8th, 2020, 10:43 AM
Those j bars are easy to extract and replace with long nosed tweezers. Some only need a light brushing with a brass toothbrush. Like you, I can get the sacs and j bars from Anderson.

pajaro
July 13th, 2020, 12:45 PM
It is great to see new Esterbrook addicts getting interested in these pens. I had a lot of enjoyment once being part of an Estie Loaner Program, and I am very glad to see people getting interested in these pens as I fade from the scene.