PDA

View Full Version : Esterbrook herd doubled in size😃

tscweaves
July 9th, 2020, 07:19 AM
Another Esterbrook SJ was in the mail yesterday - a pretty red with the 1461 nib. It is an interesting writing nib, very distinct lines. I believe this is going to be my purse pen. I have a feeling that I am going to end up with a collection of these fun, colorful pens😃

INeedAFinancialAdvisor
July 9th, 2020, 07:28 AM
nice! congrats! :)

Ron Z
July 9th, 2020, 12:58 PM
Careful. They're addicting. I have an Esterbrook display case on the shelves in front of me full of pens... and then of course the dozen or so that I decided to keep and use.

tscweaves
July 10th, 2020, 07:37 AM
Careful. They're addicting. I have an Esterbrook display case on the shelves in front of me full of pens... and then of course the dozen or so that I decided to keep and use.

You are so right, they are addicting😃 Now I am on the hunt for at least a reasonably priced green and copper SJ, and maybe a desk set, just because!

carlos.q
July 10th, 2020, 07:57 AM
Desk sets are very nice and make great conversation pieces! I have two of them: an Esterbrook Model 113 Eight-Ball and an Esterbrook model 407 that sits on my desk.

tscweaves
July 10th, 2020, 10:46 AM
Desk sets are very nice and make great conversation pieces! I have two of them: an Esterbrook Model 113 Eight-Ball and an Esterbrook model 407 that sits on my desk.

Nice sets to have😄

Chrissy
July 11th, 2020, 01:05 AM
I once bought myself an Esterbrook while in Florida. Then I re-sacced it but never wrote with it because it's nib was too fine for me. I then sold it on ebay. A sale that I now regret because I might have been able to find a broader nib to fit in it. :(

Empty_of_Clouds
July 11th, 2020, 02:16 AM
You also had a free one from me, Chrissy (via FPN). A bronze Esterbrook J. So all is not lost.

Chuck Naill
July 11th, 2020, 04:09 AM
Since going down my Esterbrook path I have noticed the popularity of the brand reflected in auction starting prices. Even single nibs are up. I suspect I would not be able to find the models today as I did then. The only way to truly get them economically is to learn to restore them yourself. Plus, by restoring you know you can always maintain them.

I had a clogged feed once that I used a mandolin E string to clear. I think it was one of the older flat feed type.

Borrowing an old TV line, "have sac will travel"....LOL!!

Empty_of_Clouds
July 11th, 2020, 04:25 AM
Totally agree on the price rising. I've been tempted to look for a single decent example of a J model with a 9 series nib, but the current prices don't work for me. Curiously enough I've had several - bronze, blue, red, and black - and gifted them all as PIFs. Probably should have kept one, but there it is. Perhaps enthusiasm for the brand will lessen and the prices will come down a bit. Hope springs eternal!