PDA

View Full Version : Discovered FPgeeks from Youtube.

Casual_lurker
July 18th, 2020, 04:29 AM
Salutations fellow geeks and enthusiast, I found about this forums from Inky.Rocks video.

I'm a returnee in the use of FP after not using them for years as it lost it's popularity after 2006 at my school( in Qatar) and also the huge expense in buying cartridges for everyday note taking, I swear we needed a box(5/6pcs in one box) per week and it wasn't feasible with the lack of converters and also proper knowledge, maintenance and inks. We used to get most of our shipment from India to our school library, back in the day we used to call the pens that could take a cartridge or converter as cartridge pens while those Parker clones from Hero and others with fixed systems as FP, and let me tell you I hated those cheap and scratchy pens but Inoxcrom were the best we could get at the time with their sometimes smooth nibs and vibrant displays for kids like us but the paint would always peel away or fade with use. Fast forward years later and I've returned !

My current pen is a Parker 45 <3, I did get a Pilot MR but mine had a baby's bottom and I've shaved of most of the tipping in trying to fix it with a nail file:cry:, I had no choice the quarantine just started and I had not gotten my Safari which is still in delivery Limbo and I really wanted to write !I could no longer go back to a horrible ballpoint. Though I did come out of this with various lessons like what I prefer or is to my liking, which are:

1) I prefer a pen that has nib replacement options as I like versatility of a pen
2) I don't like to horde pens and not use them, I'd rather have a few pens and more inks and paper.
3) FP friendly paper are hard to get depending on your country so sometimes you have to experiment on the various copy papers, journals etc being sold there
4) I really love bottle inks
5) FP lovers are almost everywhere and it's always a fun, loving and helpful community
6) You can't stop at 1 or 2 their is always one that'll catch your eyes. RIP wallet (T-T)
7) The journey is more important than the destination.

My current ink is a Pilot blue black for uni note taking which is really good, though I plan to get a Diamine rustic brown when I get my lammy and I'm using 80gsm paper copy since it is what I already have and gets the job done.

jar
July 18th, 2020, 05:10 AM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

carlos.q
July 18th, 2020, 06:26 AM
Receive a warm welcome from sunny Puerto Rico! :welcome:
I believe that you have learned the most important lesson of all: "The journey is more important than the destination."

FredRydr
July 18th, 2020, 06:33 AM
...1) I prefer a pen that has nib replacement options as I like versatility of a pen
2) I don't like to hoard pens and not use them, I'd rather have a few pens and more inks and paper.
3) FP friendly paper are hard to get depending on your country so sometimes you have to experiment on the various copy papers, journals etc being sold there
4) I really love bottle inks
5) FP lovers are almost everywhere and it's always a fun, loving and helpful community
6) You can't stop at 1 or 2 there is always one that'll catch your eyes. RIP wallet (T-T)
7) The journey is more important than the destination....

You'll find common ground on all those, but expect to face conflict between Nos. 2 & 6.

penwash
July 18th, 2020, 07:20 AM
Welcome, friend.

It's not everyday you see a greeting with a set of lessons learned from this hobby. :)

On lesson no.2, there is a big difference between hoarding and collecting. Hoarding is accumulating without any aim or control over what is being accumulated. Collecting is (or should be) a focused effort to acquire a set of items (pens in this case) with a theme behind it.

If you use these concepts, then you'll be equipped to avoid hoarding and get into collecting, which your lesson no.6 seems to indicate the desire for.

Morgaine
July 18th, 2020, 08:04 AM
Hello and welcome

Wahl
July 18th, 2020, 01:17 PM
:welcome:

countrydirt
July 18th, 2020, 01:39 PM
Welcome!!

Chrissy
July 18th, 2020, 01:44 PM
Welcome :)

DCmin
July 19th, 2020, 05:53 AM
Welcome to FPG! Fountain pens are addictive. What a wonderful addiction! Write On!!

azkid
July 20th, 2020, 10:47 PM
Welcome aboard! I am a 45 fan as well. I have been using one of mine almost exclusively for the last few weeks.