PDA

View Full Version : What Was The Last Bottle Of Ink You Emptied?

thagbert
July 2nd, 2013, 04:10 PM
What Was The Last Bottle Of Ink You Emptied?

How long did it take?

Drained it to the last drop. You were pouring from the bottle, extracting the last drop with a syringe.

Bonus: List the imaginative ways you got that last drop out.

caleath
July 2nd, 2013, 05:46 PM
I have yet to empty one .

jacksterp
July 2nd, 2013, 05:58 PM
I have yet to empty one .

Ditto

thagbert
July 2nd, 2013, 06:28 PM
Yeah me too. Who has?

Tracy Lee
July 2nd, 2013, 06:44 PM
Not counting an entire bottle of Iroshizuku that expelled itself into the double plastic bags it was packed in (suitcase, flying to Oregon), not me either.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

spotted and speckled
July 2nd, 2013, 06:49 PM
Noodlers Black, which I use exclusively at work, probably on my 5th?. Home inks--I have just opened my third bottle of Parker Quink Red and I am almost done with J.Herbin Sapphir. I just married a few pens to their respective inks because they are just too painful to clean out frequently, so now I am expecting those bottles to go faster.

cwent2
July 2nd, 2013, 07:07 PM
Private Reserve Black. My first bottle of fountain pen ink.

Laura N
July 2nd, 2013, 07:32 PM
The last one I finished was Waterman Florida Blue. I get the last remains out by pouring them into a new bottle of the same ink. Although if I finish a bottle I am not replacing, I'll just rinse the last bit down the drain.

reprieve
July 2nd, 2013, 07:35 PM
I recently finished a bottle of Herbin Bleu Nuit. At the beginning of the year, I finished bottles of Sheaffer Skrip Red and MB Racing Green. My bottle of Iroshizuku Kon-peki is starting to get pretty low (less than half-way now), but it will still take me several more months to actually empty it.

I always have a great sense of accomplishment when I finish bottles of ink. Because I have so many to choose from, it doesn't happen very often and it usually takes a long time.

I still remember when I finished my first bottle of ink (Noodler's Walnut). It was the only ink I owned at the time. I only had two pens (a Pelikan M215 and a Sheaffer school pen). When I reordered Walnut from Fountain Pen Hospital, I added Pelikan Blue-black and Montblanc Violet to the order, as well as a blue Pilot Vanishing Point; that was the moment I fell down the rabbit hole.

GourmetPens
July 2nd, 2013, 09:07 PM
I really should just pick one bottle and dedicate myself to using it up. My lowest bottle is probably my Sheaffer Skrip purple (one of the first inks I ever bought, 6 years ago)... but I have yet to actually empty a bottle. I feel like I'm in good company on that one though :)

pencils+pens
July 2nd, 2013, 09:29 PM
I poured a mostly full bottle of Levenger Cardinal Red out into my wife's garden yesterday. I figured I was biodegradable. That was the first bottle I emptied and it was my oldest bottle of ink, about eight years old. It had some "funny stuff" in the neck. I didn't know if it was the Infamous SITB or just heavily crystallized ink but I wasn't taking any chances. I already had a fairly new bottle of Private Reserve Dakota Red on hand, so I'm not short on red ink.

I have a bottle of Levenger Smokey (gray) and Blue Bahama that are within a year of the Cardinal Red in age, but they aren't showing any signs of what ailed the Cardinal Red. The Smokey and Blue Bahama are also almost gone - thru natural causes.

The Good Captain
July 3rd, 2013, 01:55 AM
Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black. Probably because it's the one ink I've been using the most since I started all this carrying-on with pens - again - in 2010!

KrazyIvan
July 3rd, 2013, 08:37 AM
I'm getting close. Almost out of Waterman Florida Blue. Yes, the old Florida Blue not the new name, whatever it's called now.

Waski_the_Squirrel
July 3rd, 2013, 08:46 AM
Noodler's Black: I write a lot and this is my favorite.

dannzeman
July 3rd, 2013, 08:48 AM
I just emptied all 10 first fun bottles of OrganINKS by dumping them down the drain. You should have seen the amount of sludge left in the bottom of some of those bottles. Don't know why I didn't take pictures!

Pens&Lit
July 3rd, 2013, 08:59 AM
I've not emptied a bottle yet. There is a bottle of Noodler's Golden Brown I've had for a couple of years that is almost gone. Love that color. Thinking I should perhaps give it a look for sludge and make sure it is still okay for use.

Chi Town
July 3rd, 2013, 10:58 AM
I have emptied just one bottle! Waterman Red, And I have well over 100 bottles, and another 100 in samples!! So I have quite a ways to go......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chi Town

GourmetPens
July 3rd, 2013, 12:27 PM
I just emptied all 10 first fun bottles of OrganINKS by dumping them down the drain. You should have seen the amount of sludge left in the bottom of some of those bottles. Don't know why I didn't take pictures!

I've got some sludgy ones still. Dare I taste them...?

Sailor Kenshin
July 3rd, 2013, 12:35 PM
Yeah me too. Who has?

I think it was a blue from Parker. Either Royal, or Blue-Black. This was my oldest ink...I had given out samples and used it up, but kept the bottle, and am glad I did.

Laura N
July 3rd, 2013, 01:19 PM

OMG, this same thing happened to me with inks from Organics Studio. (Is that the same company?) I had two of the initial "Elements" colors. I, too, dumped them once I discovered the problem.

dannzeman
July 3rd, 2013, 02:23 PM

OMG, this same thing happened to me with inks from Organics Studio. (Is that the same company?) I had two of the initial "Elements" colors. I, too, dumped them once I discovered the problem.
Yeah, that's the same company. I think their first line of inks was called OrganINKS or something.

I've got some sludgy ones still. Dare I taste them...?
DON'T YOU DARE!

thagbert
July 3rd, 2013, 04:18 PM

Not sure that counts for this thread. :-)

CapeClear
July 5th, 2013, 04:45 AM
My last emptied bottle was 80ml of Diamine Eau de Nil. I would guess I go through about 3 bottles of Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black every year for work. In the past few months I've emptied 80ml bottles of Diamine Bilberry and Sherwood Green. I think because I tend to use wide italics I go through ink pretty quickly.

fpquest
July 5th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Waterman Florida Blue was the first ink I used and it was exclusive for awhile so no surprise it was the first to empty. And the bottle I have now is still that second Florida Blue bottle. Also emptied MB Bordeaux but slowed down with that to make the last two bottles last longer. I'm not very imaginative getting the last drops - pour it into the next bottle.

Honey Mustard
July 5th, 2013, 06:53 PM
I've only ever emptied one bottle, Pelikan Brilliant Brown, and that was because I spilled 3/4ths of it all over my carpet :cry:

kemuri
July 7th, 2013, 01:33 PM
My last bottle was a Parker Quink Black.

I'm using Sheaffer Black and Sheaffer Dark Blue. These two will be next to be empty. :)

-kemuri

Heliotrope
July 7th, 2013, 05:45 PM
I bought a 7 or 8 bottles of ink many years ago, and the Waterman Violet and South Sea Blue are almost gone. In those days, I carried only 1 pen and I rotated the inks that I used, so they didn't run out very quickly. Using the bottles was interrupted by a long period when I frequently used cartridges for convenience during travel. I switched back almost exclusively to bottles again a few years ago when I discovered Iroshizuku. (A couple of my pens are cartridge only. I haven't yet begun refilling empty cartridges.) More recently, I keep buying ink samples for the variety. So I've finished samples, but no bottles. I have settled on Iroshizuku Syo-Ro for testing pens and nibs, so that bottle will probably be the first one that I will actually empty.

I compiled a database of my ink inventory recently, and I realized that I am the original owner of inks that are over 20 years old. According to the price tag on the box, I paid the outrageous price of $5 for a bottle of Waterman Rouge. I recall that price being an increase over what I paid for my first bottle of Waterman ink. I think it was $4.50.

Does that make me vintage? :blink:

Sailor Kenshin
July 7th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Well, if we're counting samples....lots.

79spitfire
July 7th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Pelican blue, but to be fair, some did get spilled. I emptied the last unusable bit into the new bottle.

Poured out for SITB, was PR Tanzanite, PR replaced the bottle, with apologies.

thagbert
July 7th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Well, if we're counting samples....lots.

Nope. No samples.

cedargirl
July 8th, 2013, 12:50 AM
Hmmm ... wait while I count them ... nope - none.
(and I still keep buying them:rolleyes:

wayne.robinson
July 9th, 2013, 04:59 AM
I hope it will be the Montblanc Albert Einstein ink. I now own 7 bottles. However, I'm yet to finish even one (although getting close with the J. Herbin Cafe du Brèsil).

CapeClear
July 12th, 2013, 01:33 AM
This morning I syringed up the last drop of Diamine Bilberry from an 80ml bottle I purchased in December. Used every day in a 1.1mm nib to write in my journal. It's one of my top 3 inks.

snedwos
July 12th, 2013, 04:49 AM
I hope it will be the Montblanc Albert Einstein ink.

Why? Do you not like it? I would be happy to take it off your hands... :)

The only bottle I've emptied is some Parker Blue. Except I haven't really, there's still some of it lying around mixed with other colours, and with drawing inks, in the original bottle. Which I now can't open, possibly because of the shellac in the other inks.

ndw76
July 12th, 2013, 06:55 AM
I have gone through a couple of bottles of lamy blue. I have a bottle of blue, red and black mix. When it gets low I just use the syringe and add a little more. The colour is always changing. This is what I use at work.

fncll
July 14th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Just killed off my bottle of PR DC Supershow Blue. I empty Waterman Serenity Blue a few times a year. Otherwise my ink supply is so far behind my demand I may never empty any others!

jde
July 15th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Namiki Blue took me six weeks. I'm weird that way.

thagbert
July 15th, 2013, 04:48 PM

I wouldn't say weird, you just write a lot! Do you have a primary pen that blows through that much ink?

Frank
July 17th, 2013, 07:52 AM
A good 'ol bottle of Parker Black!

:)

erpe
July 17th, 2013, 08:51 AM
I never empty a bottle completely. I'm afraid I would feel the need to toss it when it's empty and they are so cute for decoration when they are not (oh horror) cleaned.... :-)

jde
July 17th, 2013, 11:04 AM

I wouldn't say weird, you just write a lot! Do you have a primary pen that blows through that much ink?

Edison and Danitrio pens are my 'core' writing pens... nibs range from true Japanese EF & F style, to JoWo EF. Kept a log to determine how much ink I use, and it averaged 50ml every 5 weeks during intensive writing times. My log was helpful in convincing my beloved that fountain pen ink should come out of the household budget, much like printer toner does. :)

I know a couple of folks who 'blow through' 50ml in 2 weeks... writing exclusively broad nibs!

drgoretex
July 23rd, 2013, 07:02 AM
First three bottles to completely empty (I now refill from an economy size refill bottle of the stuff): Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue
Fourth bottle to empty: a 100 mL Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars' Ink
Fifth bottle to empty: Pharmacist's Darkening Absinth
Sixth bottle to empty: Diamine Registrar's (also have a refill bottle for this one now)

Ken

Tracy Lee
July 23rd, 2013, 05:53 PM
First three bottles to completely empty (I now refill from an economy size refill bottle of the stuff): Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue
Fourth bottle to empty: a 100 mL Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars' Ink
Fifth bottle to empty: Pharmacist's Darkening Absinth
Sixth bottle to empty: Diamine Registrar's (also have a refill bottle for this one now)

Ken

You are like some kind of superhero!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

picautomaton
July 24th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Montblanc Blue Black (I must add that this was prior to me finding the 'enablernet' and only had three bottles of ink at the time.

pen_addict
July 29th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Waterman blue black for me.... Years ago.... Before I discovered noodlers, pilot, iroshizuku, diamine, montblanc and sailor... Oh wait, there's even more!!!!!

Runnin_Ute
April 3rd, 2022, 09:47 PM
It's been a while, but I have a 30 ml bottle of Blackstone Daintree Green that's close.

There was a bottle of Krishna Peacock recently now that I think about it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Z man
April 4th, 2022, 10:22 AM
Thanks for reviving this. About a month ago, a 50-ml bottle of Pelikan Level ink in royal blue bit the dust.

Cyril
April 12th, 2022, 10:15 AM
It was THE DIAMINE " CARAMEL SPARKLE SHIMMER " it spilled empty around all of my other ink bottle drawer. HAHHHHHH :shocked: It was a full bottles hardly unused and not a single drop remained.. I was scratching the head for months when I saw all the stained other ink boxes.

DrPenfection
April 12th, 2022, 05:54 PM
Sadly, I just finished my bottle of Rohrer & Klinger Smaragdgrun. It was a wonderful emerald green that worked really well with all pens I put it. I have several other greens in that same hue that I am using now, but I will definitely purchase another bottle.

vdiantonio
April 13th, 2022, 06:25 AM
Visconti Royal Blue - It's a great bright blue ink (IMO)

FredRydr
April 13th, 2022, 07:09 AM
I emptied a bottle of Aurora black. The Aurora bottle hinders drawing the last several fills, so I decanted the remainder into a Waterman ink bottle.

Z man
April 14th, 2022, 07:53 PM
Woohoo! A bottle of Doctor Writing Ink 304, scented, is now a dead soldier. It took about 15 years because the ink was scented. This ink wouldn't have crossed the threshold if I'd caught that in advance. For me, it was a nice dark black ink that worked on most papers if memory serves, but it had a weird smell.