PDA

View Full Version : Space Shuttle Atlantis Exhibit Open Now!!

Tracy Lee
July 2nd, 2013, 05:36 PM
Hi all, my occasional self-indulgent NASA related post is that the Space Shuttle Atlantis is now on display and open for visitors. She is almost close enough to touch, and configured in flight with her payload bay doors open, and antennas out, in addition to the Canada Arm. A truly awesome sight. For some of us, it is still tough to think of her as a museum piece, so seeing this was a tearjerker. But if you come to Florida, you should make time to come to the Visitor Center and see this and all the other great exhibits. The pictures of the external tank (ET) and solid rocket boosters (SRBs) are not real but create a visually awesome entrance to the exhibit and are done to scale. These are quick phone pictures, but gives you an idea. We got a sneak preview last week before it opened officially. Enjoy!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Carole
July 2nd, 2013, 06:39 PM
Holy Parking Orbit, Tracy! Beautiful. The full-scale models are awesomely grand at the entrance. And yes, even though most bugs in Florida are the exact same size as those rocket boosters, it's an amazing place to visit. Thanks to all the dedicated Space Weiners who made this possible. (respectfully said)

Tracy Lee
July 2nd, 2013, 06:42 PM
You're welcome, from one of the legal Weiners!! :) And yes, on the bug thing. They do rival housepets in size, it can be disturbing. So come in December through April. Everything more tolerable.

earthdawn
July 2nd, 2013, 06:44 PM
Thats awesome !!!

Thanks for the pics.

We got the Enterprise here in NY and it will finally open on July 10th !!!

Tracy Lee
July 2nd, 2013, 07:05 PM
Endeavor is in LA, and ultimately will be displayed vertically, in launch configuration. They are still raising the $400 million for the construction of the facility, etc. That is the latest rumor anyway. Discovery will remain displayed in her "landed" configuration, so across the country all three are depicted.

KrazyIvan
July 3rd, 2013, 09:21 AM
Thank you for posting this. Love all the NASA related stuff you show us.