PDA

View Full Version : A cutting tale told in FPN

ethernautrix
July 2nd, 2013, 05:47 PM
A priest, a drunkard, and an engineer are due to be guillotined during the French Revolution.

They are brought up to the ghastly machine on the tumbril, the cacking of the tricoteuses ringing in their ears. With a shove, the priest is thrust onto the platform.

"You are condemned as an enemy of France! You are to die! But one last boon: you many decide to be face down, or face up as you are placed on the guillotine!"

"I will die facing the heavens, so that I might see the angel of the lord coming for my soul, as I meet my end forgiving those who bring me to this place, Monsieur."

"As you wish," and with that he is strapped to the board. A hush falls as the blade waits, poised to fall. A click! A whirr! and then - nothing. The blade sticks halfway down.

"A miracle!" sigh the crowd. "God has spared you, Monsieur," cries the executioner. "Go free, and in peace."

Next, it is the drunkard. He is offered the same choice.

"I have led the life of a sinner, but I will place myself at the mercy of the Lord. Behead me as you tried to behead his faithful servant. I shall pray for his deliverance; and my life will be his thereafter if I am spared."

The crowd wait, hushed again. Once more the blade is hoisted, once more the lever falls, once more - it sticks!

"Thank you, Father, thank you!" cries the drunkard. He stumbles from the platform, and the crowd part to allow one so blessed to leave.

Last it is the engineer. "You, intellectual, enemy of France! Surely you will not trust to God in this manner, you who are a man of reason, of enlightenment?"

"I will, Monsieur, for have I not seen His work today, with mine own eyes?"

The engineer is strapped to the board, his eyes gazing aloft. Silence, an absolute silence, falls, broken only by the creak of the blade as it makes the terrible journey upwards. For what seems an eternity it lies poised. Then the executioner flings the lever, it starts to plunge, and then a cry!

"Look, hang on, I can see what your problem is here..."

Posted by mjarman [link (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/248352-the-guillotine/?p=2713295)]

klpeabody
July 2nd, 2013, 05:55 PM
:haha:
Good one!
kp

jacksterp
July 2nd, 2013, 05:57 PM
Cute!

Tony Rex
July 2nd, 2013, 05:58 PM
GOLD.

"If it's broken... "

Annie
July 5th, 2013, 04:20 PM
I'm a big fan of engineers :)

79spitfire
July 5th, 2013, 10:11 PM
:applause:

Tracy Lee
July 6th, 2013, 05:50 AM
I love all my engineers, too, I really do. But they think lawyer jokes are soooooooooo clever and don't understand after 21 years I have heard about all of them. This is the only joke anyone has been able to give me for engineers for years and it just can't be the only one. It's funny, but engineers are super quirky, too, so there has to be more. Just HAS to be!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

AndyT
July 6th, 2013, 01:06 PM
... there has to be more.

It's a whole genre! Some of the better (and less ribald) ones are collected here:

http://www.i18nguy.com/engineers.html

Tracy Lee
July 6th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Yahoo, thank you!!!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2